Back from a London journey, more stories about pearls

Ok, to solve this mystery: The pendant is said to be iberian, around 1720, no clue about the origin of the pearls, but they might be of caribbean provenience (due to the iberian origin of the piece), if they are not freshwater.:)

Now, still from London, we are moving from the British museum to the Natural history museum, and it's time for a small revision of natural history of pearls ...
Photos taken through windows .. sorry for quality.

Which is which? and where do these oysters come from ?
Play now :D

Attachments

• CliClasp-PG-C33.jpg
    CliClasp-PG-C33.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 40
  • CliClasp-PG-C35.jpg
    CliClasp-PG-C35.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Last edited:
Wow CLICLASP, that is a big number of reads! One addition to the pendant I showed: As the settings in this times where always closed on the back, the rubies are foiled on the back, what changes the colour a bit - and makes them appear different, a bit more spinel-like.

Now, there is a big difference between these 2 mussels, will you find it?

Attachments

• CliClasp-PG-C36.jpg
    CliClasp-PG-C36.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 41
  • CliClasp-PG-C37.jpg
    CliClasp-PG-C37.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
That was a bit harder to find,
the upper one is from the Tay river in Scotland
the second one comes from Lake Biwa in Japon.

Last edited:
We just passed 2500 readers, but few participation :confused:, bored of stories ? :eek: stop or more ? :cool:

We just passed 2500 readers, but few participation , bored of stories ? stop or more ?

Cliclasp, I love reading this thread because it is so informative but unfortunatly I find I do not have a clue to the answers to even post a guess. I am sure I'm not the only one who feels this way because of the number of views. Please don't stop.

Love the education - please do keep going...I don't often answer or guess (the truthful way of putting it) as I am such a newbie.

Very interesting reading indeed. Too comfy and not aware of the field enough to go guessing, but do come back reading :)

Maria

Hi
I do have the nerve to post sometimes, but I think I only ever got one right! Never-the-less, this is a brilliant thread that people will enjoy for years!

So, where do these oysters come from ? See how curious they look ;)

Attachments

• CliClasp-PG-C30.jpg
    CliClasp-PG-C30.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 37
  • CliClasp-PG-C31.jpg
    CliClasp-PG-C31.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 48
I don't know, but the bottom one look like beautiful pearl foam...lovely!

nets? and the planets?

nets? and the planets?

So what's your opinion of this specimen ?
Another curiosity ;)

These (the 1stCheapside Hoard post) remind me of fishing nets being pulled up from the sea.

With the pearls lining the sides they then made me think of the nets holding the pearlbearing shells, but that's only free-associating.

Also, the arms bearing the pearls, swinging from the pivot, number 6 (one arm could be missing), and brought to mind the science fair planets models; another vision then came, of Chinese lantern-globes hanging over the waters at night. To attract the catch, or illuminate their work? I don't know fishing...

I wish I had your knowledge; this is fun to follow!

Last edited:
Back