Anything for the animals...

Slraep said:
I gave this to a friend of mine for her recently adopted female cat. The friend went nuts over it and ended up wearing it herself, tying it in the front of her neck and letting the pearly ends dangle. It gave her a kind of "you dare buy me a drink buddy and you might be sorry" look.

Slraep

Hilarious! Poor kitty. Deprived of a choice piece in the name of vanity. Did kitty get to wear it eventually?

Heard a few times that cats & collars don't mix well, or at least that's what some vets say :rolleyes:. Cats seem to not mind, but there are accidents...

I confess. One of my darkest non-secrets is that I adore Hello Kitty. She wears a pearl necklace. I don't think there is any collar behind it. Do you suppose it's on one of those stretchy thingys? How long would it take a kitty to get one of those off?

barbie biggs said:
How long would it take a kitty to get one of those off?

If you're talking about the breakaway collars like PearlParadise made, it depends on the cat. I know some cats that will happily wear the same one for years, but then there are the troublemakers like my brother's cat, who went through about 3 breakaway collars a week before my brother finally gave up on the idea.

If you're talking about the stretch type, they could have it off in about 2 seconds, lol.

boo said:
breakaway collars

THAT is what they are called. When I came back from the pet-supply store with collars for the promotion that were not breakaways someone in the office that has experience with cat rescues (my experience is mainly with dogs and rabbits) made me take them back and get the "right" ones.

jshepherd said:
Keshi for humans...?

jshepherd said:
How about the folks here design and we make!

Well, before I found out that to ship pearls from Josh's middle of nowhere to my neck of the woods really isn't that straightforward... I wanted a braided rope of black lip tube beads and keshi - something that would show where the pearls come from (the concept sketch on dark ground below), but must agree that such an item wouldn't be terribly mainstream. And that's why a bit of practical thinking turned in the second.

Adding practical detail would probably take more to paint then to string... Hope the little pictures mean something. If not, I'll see what I can do about it.

keshiigx9.png

Valeria101 said:
Well, before I found out that to ship pearls from Josh's middle of nowhere to my neck of the woods really isn't that straightforward... I wanted a braided rope of black lip tube beads and keshi - something that would show where the pearls come from (the concept sketch on dark ground below), but must agree that such an item wouldn't be terribly mainstream. And that's why a bit of practical thinking turned in the second.

Adding practical detail would probably take more to paint then to string... Hope the little pictures mean something. If not, I'll see what I can do about it.

Wow Ana, that's a little fancy for a cat collar.

Slraep

Raisondetre said:
Hilarious! Poor kitty. Deprived of a choice piece in the name of vanity. Did kitty get to wear it eventually?

Nope. Poor kitty never got to wear the collar as far as I know. But my friend did come over to have tea with me once and wore it with a black low cut angora sweater. She's a little strange/daring. What more can I say?

Slraep

Slraep said:
Nope. Poor kitty never got to wear the collar as far as I know. But my friend did come over to have tea with me once and wore it with a black low cut angora sweater. She's a little strange/daring. What more can I say?

Slraep

This is turning into quite an interesting little novella. Dare I ask if we are still experimenting with breakaway collars?

P.S. I love your pics Valeria.

Thanks for the motivation!

It turned out not so hard to come up with something more realistic after all:

heishiandkeshibagmx7.png

Since I'm not much of a beader and local supplies are nothing to talk about, sketches help plan a complicated strand in advance. This one makes me think 'way thinner' and 'more pearl intensive'. The whole thing would be about 100-120cm long, with no clasp... perhaps a flat knot or something else in line with the wild nature of the piece.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's impressive! And very beautiful! Is that leather cord?

Thanks!

GemGeek said:
Is that leather cord?

I am thinking of some 2mm (if even) 'heishi' beads (little tubes, about twice longer then wide) from brownish MOP. 'Thought it would be fun to get all components from the same black lip mussel.

What a great design. That would look great with Josh's keishi, but how many pearls would you need? Do you buy keishi pearls by weight or by piece? Excuse my ignorance.

The small ones are bought by weight. How many pearls it takes per inch of strand depends on their size. The smaller they are, the 'lighter' the inch...of course. Haven't counted... would imagine around 30 grams maybe...

Anyway, I've posted that one in response to Jeremy Shephard's generic 'invitation' ;)... guessing it was about humans rather then cats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Josh !

Do try to get for us a picture of this lovely lady. We'll really appreciate it !

Nora

Josh said:
I'm back.
I have a friend in Ahe who pierced his giant pig's ear and adorned the lovely lady with a hoop and radiant peacock 12mm round. Just thought I'd share.

Yes, this calls for a photo if ever anything was worthy of a photo-op!

Josh, where you been dude? We miss you:)

Back