Any idea on what type of pearl ring I have?

Jeangrey1

Community member
Hi all!!

I got this ring from my grandmother maybe 1950s ?? .... I'd like to ask if this is a natural pearl or cultured pearl...

1.The pearl feel slightly gritty or smooth when rubbed gently against my tooth.

2.No marks on the inside of the rings... I suppose the diamonds are diamantes (old miner's cut diamonds); The gold I think is real. IMG_0377.jpgIMG_0376.jpgIMG_0382.jpg

3.The pearl is 8mm in diameter.

Thanks in advance and more power to the forum :)

Jean Grey1

Cool ring! Looks like a combination of the sun on one side and the moon on the other, with the pearl as a shared center. Very cool! Does the ring have any markings at all? Maybe a side photo of the ring would help some of the experts here determine what it is. The shape of the diamonds do point to old mine cut stone or maybe even rose cuts. It's the gold rose in color?

Intriguing! I like the design...I agree, from these pics, they look like ros?-cut diamonds. I'd say also, they setting looks darker, like oxidised silver. Pics from the side would be good :) ...any marks on the outside/back?

Hi Pattye :) I think it is yellowish with pink tones ( not sure if the pink is due to the old "rojo" gold cleaning stone used by the pinoy plateros "jewelry makers" of old).am posting additional pics to compare it with my mikimoto earrings and bracelet.

Here are the pictures!
(Sorry I was only able to take photos with an Iphone)

I also included pictures of the side of the ring. There are no marks on the inside of the ring.
I hope this helps.

Jeangrey1

IMG_1833.jpgIMG_1834.jpgIMG_1835.jpg

Hi again,

I tried cleaning the ring and took some photos. I hope they show the yellow color with pink tones I am seeing....IMG_1837.jpgIMG_1838.jpgIMG_1839.jpg

the pearl in ur ring appears to be a old one,
and observing ur last photo i think it is a natural pearl

I love the ring and the pearl could certainly be natural. Sometimes pearls are lost and replaced, so you can't always tell just from the setting. It's a treasure. :)

Thanks so much for all your input! :)

Gemgeek - I think this pearl hasn't been replaced...I have seen this ring worn by my lola when I was still small (like, say - 35 years ago till her demise...).

Pattye - I think the ring is shaped like an "eye" - with the pearl being the eyeball, the part with the rose cut diamonds the eyebrows and the thin wires the eyelashes.... well, I think :)

Thanks so much!

Jeangrey1

For me, it looks like a girl in a bonnet, or a crown and a lace ruffle at the neck.
( for Wendy's approval, I will look up the proper term. Now that I think upon it, even back in Young Elizabeth1's day, ancient-fashion 'revivals' were known, halos...I'm just not well-educated in this area. Well, up to the Search bar I go!)

Well, I have to get on to less fun stuff, and people devote whole careers ​to historical costumIng, so this site www.fashion-era.com/hats-hair3-1485-1600-womens-hair-calthrop.htm calls it Mary Queen of Scots style. I'm sure it has another name, because she's more or less contemporary with Elizabeth1...and there's a portrait of Elizabeth1 as a young girl wearing a red gown and 'halo' head-dress.
...and I'm sorry, just tried the link and it didn't work... I first accessed the site by googling Young Elizabeth 1 ...

One site calls it a French Hood. I guess one has to allow for differing expert opinions.

Last edited:
Moon and stars - a very popular theme in jewelry (I was just cruising through the website link by KiwiPaul to Lange's). But! I like hats, crowns, bonnets and head-dressings, so I saw what (ahem) I will now know to call a French Hood;) (until I forget).

I'm sure you're right, GG!

The profile of the ring appears bead nucleated. If I had a natural that big, I would not mount it to non-hallmarked silver.

The nacre is very unusual. It looks like a dollop of nacre on a bead, which is something that does not happen in naturals. However, I think it is a fantastic ring! I would wear it a lot!!

Hello Jeangrey1,

I think you have a glorious pearl set in a very unusual ring. For what it is worth I do think it very well could be a natural pearl and for your own satisfaction think you should send it for certification.

Dave, I don't see the ring design and silver as something which precludes it being a natural nor the shape of it. I think to many are inclined to think that naturals were only set in the most expensive settings but I really don't believe that. My belief is that if someone had a natural pearl they used the best they could afford to set it off. Antique rings often had a mixture of gold and silver.

The shank is very large and thick and reminds me of the 1970s but it very well could have have a terrible worn shank and the top section with pearl put on a new and "better" shank for safety.

Caitlin I have to disagree with you about naturals not having protrusions. I don't think naturals follow rules and each pearl shape is decided by many factors. That is one of the reasons a perfectly round natural pearl is so expensive and rare. Also American River pearls can come is totally weird and wonderful shapes with some having drusy protrusions all over them. Not saying it is a freshwater natural but it is a possibility. The baroque/freeform natural Basra necklaces I have listed have weird shapes with protrusions. I looked at some of my listings and there are protrusions then I checked Kari's site and there are many protrusions on pearls there.

Just saying there is a good chance it is a natural pearl so if you can send it off for an x-ray it would be a good idea and please let us know the results either way and what type of pearl it is. :)

Dawn - Bodecia
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.

I have to agree with Dawn about silver not necessarily being a factor in an antique ring. If it is old enough, there would only be natural pearls available to make it.

I'm a big believer in getting a report if not knowing whether it is natural will drive you nuts. But personally, unless I was contemplating selling it, I would rather spend the money on more pearls than pay $125 for a report. It's an outstanding ring! :)

I'm new to this site and have been scouring the older posts to learn more. I'm not sure if the user who posted this is still here - But, I can actually offer help on this one.

I may not know much about pearls - but, I know Victorian jewelry when I see it. I've have studied for years the jewelry designs of this fantastic era. You, my dear, have a wonderful ring! The crescent moon symbol was wildly popular back then. I've seen many rings of this design - but, this is particularly nice. I'd date it to mid - late 1800's. There is a possibility it could be a early art deco does Victorian piece but I doubt it.

Another possibility is that someone took an old brooch and soldered it onto a newer band (again, popular to do in the early 1900's). If you take a look under magnification you'd be able to see.

Hope that helps!

Back