Akoya lovers ... your thoughts?

jshepherd

I appreciate any opinions of what you see below; two strands of akoya pearls.

They are shot together so that photoshop or lighting will have no effect on the look. I really am curious to see how people here think they compare. Of course the size is different, but other than that ...

Attachments

• DSC05107
    DSC05107
    94.6 KB · Views: 43
  • pearl3
    pearl3
    15.8 KB · Views: 45
Hi Jeremy

I would say the large ones are 'pinked', and the small ones are 'natural'

the lustre is different too, with the large ones being more 'metalic', and the small ones being more 'mother of pearl'

The large ones seem to have a better surface quality, but heck....

I'd take the small ones - but in a large size...... LoL

:rolleyes:

Hi,
I would like to see the picture taken with bigger pearls closer to camera... to see the reflection of bigger pearls in the smaller ones.
Like this it seams that luster of bigger pearls is better. They are also "pinkier".. and like others said: skin seams better too on big ones..

so ?? what is the mystery ?

hmmmmm

are the large ones actually Edison Freshies.........

eeeek :eek:

The smaller ones seem to have the kind of softer luster that my vintage akoyas have. If I was in the market for a "real" akoya strand, I would be luster crazy and go for the bigger pearls.

Could the mystery have to do with different origin of the two? And I assume you are not misleading us with the headline and the larger ones are actually FW, right? :)

- Karin

Maybe someone left them too long in the pinking solution?

Thanks.
Now I'm more sure of my first impression (which soon, you will prove is wrong...LoL... ).

Bigger pearls seams to be better quality, none of the strands is top quality. Bigger one is pinked but it adds to it's "good looks". I don't want any of them and I'm thinking seriously that I should have an Akoya strand... classic Akoya.. ( I have only baroque's from Jeremy).

Now, I don't mind you showing me that I'm completely wrong.... Only way to learn....

hmmmmm

now I'm completely confused

this is great fun though :cool:

The luster on the top strand is much sharper than on the bottom strand, there's no doubt in my mind that it's a top quality strand. The surface is also much cleaner.

The bottom strand looks to be commercial quality. Just my 2c

Oh is that waht that is - I've had that in some of my photos, I think of it as fried egg effect which doesn't sound quite so fabulous. I thought it was the sky /natural light shining on the very lustrous top of good pearls.
There you go. that's my new thing learned for today
thanks!

Oh is that waht that is - I've had that in some of my photos, I think of it as fried egg effect which doesn't sound quite so fabulous. I thought it was the sky /natural light shining on the very lustrous top of good pearls.
There you go. that's my new thing learned for today
thanks!

It's diffraction and refraction ... aka orient.

Jeremy, Are the larger pearls for sale on your site? If so where? They are really pretty.

Back