Akoya earrings from local store The Netherlands

Anna102

Hi pearl lover fellows,

I’m a proud new owner of this pair of earrings. These are my very first pearls and I have been so happy.

Yet… after closely examining the studs I realize a rather difference of the qualities of these studs. One stud has less luster and an uneven surface compared to the other.

Please let me know what you think of these. Are they obvious? Are they acceptable?

I bought these at a local store in The Netherlands. This is the only place that I could find with reasonable availability of stock at store so that I can come and see in person. This pair is the best they have of the same category at that moment (Akoya, smaller than 8mm).

I tried an online purchase with 2 pairs Akoya, same price category, they turn out of much less quality so I had to return both.

I almost placed an order from Pearl Paradise but found out it’s such a hassle with import tax and shipping and all.

Long story short, in The Netherlands it seems a big challege to find good quality pearls. Except for one Miki store in Amsterdam. But I have decided not to pay premium for a brand name.

So if there is any of you know a good place to buy pearls in NL kindly let me know.

Last edited:
The 2 pearls are visibly different in their surface quality IMO. If it bothers you now, it will probably continue to bother you.

I would contact Cees Van Oije of Amsterdam Pearls. You can find him on Instagram.

I bought my golden south sea pearls from him.
I recall he said he spends part of the year in Bangkok and part in the Netherlands.

Since you are in a member state of the EU you can buy from any other state and there's no issue with tax or duty, as there would be from the USA (or while we are being nationally stupid) the UK
Since you were initially happy with these pearls, so long as the price is not ridiculous, wear and enjoy them. Any differences will not be noticed by any but a few world-wide experts while they are on your ears and with your head between them.

Thanks so much Pearl Dream esp about the contact of Cees van Oije.

And indeed it bothers me. Not sure if I should go ahead and ask the shop to find a better matching stud. Would I sound ridiculous for such a question then?

The 2 pearls are visibly different in their surface quality IMO. If it bothers you now, it will probably continue to bother you.

I would contact Cees Van Oije of Amsterdam Pearls. You can find him on Instagram.

I bought my golden south sea pearls from him.
I recall he said he spends part of the year in Bangkok and part in the Netherlands.

Since you are in a member state of the EU you can buy from any other state and there's no issue with tax or duty, as there would be from the USA (or while we are being nationally stupid) the UK
Since you were initially happy with these pearls, so long as the price is not ridiculous, wear and enjoy them. Any differences will not be noticed by any but a few world-wide experts while they are on your ears and with your head between them.
Thanks a lot for your answer. I did order online but they turned out to be disappointing. So I gave up the idea and prefer to go to a brick and mortar shop to have a look with my own eyes.

Is it normal that two studs are so different? From afar no one would realize but I pick them up everyday and my eyes see the difference everyday 🤓 So yeah it does bother me a bit.

At the store, for a moment I saw a slight difference, tried to switch to different ear (yeah they let me really put them on my ears). I did point it out to the shop owner that I feel something different. She reassured me that was the different angles of the lighting. And I was persuaded. I was in love with them and couldn’t see anything more ha ha.

I paid €240 for this pair, 7,5mm. Don’t really know if the price is fair but that’s the best I could find at this moment.

Thanks so much Pearl Dream esp about the contact of Cees van Oije.

And indeed it bothers me. Not sure if I should go ahead and ask the shop to find a better matching stud. Would I sound ridiculous for such a question then?

It is not ridiculous to want, and try to get, pearl earrings that match and that you are satisfied with.

Many years ago, when my mother finally got her ears pierced in her 40s, she wanted to buy a pair of pearl stud earrings to go with a necklace she had. The first shop showed her a pair that had obvious (though minor) blemishes in the front of the pearl, where they would be visible. The sales associate tried to tell her they were "beauty marks."
We left and drove to another shop where she found a pair without the "beauty marks"! ;)

I agree with Pearl Dreams. While I think the earrings are pretty, and your head will be in between and others won't likely see the difference ... if it bothers you, it will continue to bother you. Oh, and Cees van Oije is currently in Netherlands till beginning of December, so might be worth inquiring of him what he might be able to get for comparison :)

I agree with Pearl Dreams. While I think the earrings are pretty, and your head will be in between and others won't likely see the difference ... if it bothers you, it will continue to bother you. Oh, and Cees van Oije is currently in Netherlands till beginning of December, so might be worth inquiring of him what he might be able to get for comparison :)
May I ask if you have another way than Instagram to contact Cees van Oije ? I sent him a message in Insta last week Friday but haven’t heard back from him.

Thanks so much! I’m gonna email him.

Just to share with you, I’m looking for a simple Akoya collier, single pearl pendant of 8mm. I am based in Amsterdam and would like to come and see the products instead of online order.

Pix for the idea. I particularly like how the pearl is hung onto that cute golden piece they called “rabbit ears” style.

single pearl pendant of 8mm

Back