A strand that stood out

jshepherd

Believe it or not, I consider this is a uniform-color exotic/metallic. But the colors within each individual pearl vary so dramatically it becomes difficult to describe. The pearls aren't perfectly round like the multicolor strands, but I think they might even be more beautiful.

Attachments

• 4-9-10exotic.jpg
    4-9-10exotic.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 30
I can't remember when I ever saw a strand more beautiful.

What are you going to do with it? I sure would like to see that in person, so you can just send it to me. :D Do you have enough pearls for earrings to match?

Which reminds me- I couldn't find metallic earrings on your site. Does one have to special order them?

We've been trying to figure out how to merchandise them for a long time. There are just so many variations. Mia came up with an idea we are going to discuss next week. But most of them have been going with the strands (multis and uniform).

This strand has a home! I just wanted to share as it's one of my favorites.

Aren't they gorgeous? When you think, "A little critter makes them!" it puts perfect roundness in perspective. It's not really required, to appreciate the miracle and the beauty (why do awestruck moments so often sound 'preachy'?). You guys surely did amass some beautiful pearls, for all your efforts.

Do you ever come across lemony colored metallics? I know you posted about more yellow and golden akoyas a while ago.

Last edited:
Heck! I still hope I get to see it in person.

You were talking about earrings in that post?

I see you have a whole metallic line with sizes on both sides of your monthly special. The smallest ones are only $135!! Do any of those come close to the one in the picture?

There are a lot of the lemon-gold strands and yes, Caitlin, I was talking about the earrings.

I think this one is pretty unique. Mia put this one together personally by breaking and combining strands that she felt weren't uniform enough. When she was done, this strand really stood out.

What would you name the color on that strand?- Does it fit in the silver/pink silver/peach or gold/peach of the metallics featured online?

My huge metallic pearl studs- do you remember the official color they are? They just keep changing in different lights- so which light is the one for deciding what color they really are?

I would so like a little collection of pearl studs. I actually want some much smaller because my ears get tired from the weight of my klonk-sized studs!

Does anyone in the processing plants keep track of these exotic metallics in button or other shapes? I am thinking that some baroque strands would be superlicious.

That is a lovely strand, Jeremy, thanks for showing it, knowing it has a loving home reduces my lust for it a little!

What I have noticed in shopping for pearls (with John Tu), a hank with multiple strands of pearls will sometimes have 1 strand with pearls that are more metallic than the others. Or sometimes if there aren't enough metallic pearls for a whole strand, they will have a few stuck on the end. The metallic strands I have are certainly not as highly metallic or round as what Jeremy has collected, but still fun to discover and still wonderfully unique!

Beautiful!!! What a special strand.

I have one from PP that I adore. It has some silvery green pearls mixed with pinkish and lavender overtone. Here's Natalie's picture.

And my photo, which did not show luster too well. :(

Attachments

• my single color exotic.jpg
    my single color exotic.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4282.jpg
    IMG_4282.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 38
Jeremy, great strand, and I know what you mean about amazing colour variations within each pearl. I have had some earring pairs but it is SO hard to describe what colour they are! Never seen a whole strand quite as uniform and metallic as that one, though.

Cathy, your strand is beautiful...... neck shot??

These pearl strands are both stunning. I love metallics.

What would you name the color on that strand?- Does it fit in the silver/pink silver/peach or gold/peach of the metallics featured online?

My huge metallic pearl studs- do you remember the official color they are? They just keep changing in different lights- so which light is the one for deciding what color they really are?

Does anyone in the processing plants keep track of these exotic metallics in button or other shapes? I am thinking that some baroque strands would be superlicious.

This strand wouldn't really fit perfectly in any of the three color designations. We had some separated out in every size that just didn't fit any of the three, and we figured more than three was too many. It is closest to gold-peach though.

I don't remember what those studs were. They were different though. Maybe copper? I think they were between 12 and 13 mm, but I don't remember. I would say daylight is the best time to determine the color (on a cloudy day).

I don't think anyone really keeps track of the metallics. They are always mixed in. Just like Pattye said, you might be going through a natural-color lot and find an few metallic strands or a strand with a lot of metallic pearls just mixed in. They don't charge a premium either. That is what got me turned on to them in the first place. I thought it would be possible to only focus on them.

So, how do you think it played out, Jeremy? Was the time invested in sorting through the mix to accumulate the metallics cost effective? too costly? 'on the fence', too close to call? I sure hope it wasn't too costly because they're marvelous, special, and I can't buy any right now (anguish, genuine anguish; I want some lemon-y and white metallic pearls, wah! Such a big baby...my sis'd say "Want some cheese with that w(h)ine?").

I noticed that you posted they might not be in stock again for a while, so I thought I'd ask what you concluded. Also, your perceptions of the business end of pearls is interesting.

Last edited:
Back