A Bargain Buy for an Early Bird?

kiwipaul

They say the early bird catches the worm.

If you're up early this morning with some disposable funds, this may be a bargain for you.

I often see what I believe to be bargains in my random searches, and sometimes I'm not in a position to buy.

Like now when I'm paying off a holiday. Still I think this is a bargain. I won't be buying, so if anyone agrees please grab it.

Here's the listing: http://www.rubylane.com/item/560593-001978/Antique-South-Sea-Cultured-Pearl

Nice big pearl. I think its probably a natural. PAUL LIENARD died in 1900 and his firm didn't last past WWI.

Based on those dates, and its appearance, this should be a natural. And it ain't no hat-pin. It's a gents tie pin.

If you're thinking about grabbing it, please use your discretion. The seller describes it as an early Australian South Sea cultured, and maybe they know something I don't.

Paul Lienard is one of the greats, check this out: http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?from=searchresults&intObjectID=4786048

Good luck to the earliest early bird, and I'll be interested to hear other people's opinions!

Last edited:
That's a beautiful piece. I hope someone here scoops it up! :)

Well that was quick! Love to know who got it.

Hopefully it was a P-G member. If so, once you have it in your possession hope you can share some more details.

Maybe Dawn got it! I was up too late to see the post before the pearl was gone. If the date is good, it is probably worth the money.

How exciting! Hope it was a PGer too and that they will share more photos with us!

I conctacted the website to get more information and this is their answer :

"I did not have it x rayed. I showed it to my pearl lady who is from Australia and it was her opinion that it was a very early cultured pearl. I did not certify the pearl because it would have added a few hundred dollars to the cost. It certainly has all the beauty of a natural pearl as the early cultured pearls did because they were in the shell for a very long time."

Anyway, who could say that the pearl is original and hasn't be replaced ? in my opinion the pin doesn't join very neatly at the basis of the pearl. It could suggest that something has been changed. Just my idea of course, I may be over-wary.

Actually I don't feel that the look of the pearl is so very natural.

Last edited:
Back