New Golden South Sea Fatty

Sea Urchin

I liked the big creamy white South Sea pearl I recently got so much that I went back and got a gold one of the same size. It's 16.5 plus another millimeter for the bump, which will be sawed off. The creamy white one was made into a pendant (there's a recent thread here about it) and I kept twisting the chain around my finger and wishing it was a ring.

So after this one arrives, I will finally have a ring pearl that is big enough to look impressive even on my giant paws. And I've always wanted a GSS so I am a happy sea urchin! I just love huge pearls.

The luster in the middle is iffy but the bottom (which will be the top of the pearl in the ring) looks smooth and shiny. :)

I have a gold band ring I was thinking of having it mounted on. I guess I can just have a jeweler and solder on a pearl pin thingie? (The pearl will be half-drilled). The bottom pic is the bottom of the pearl. Sorry I couldn't figure out how to make all of the photos larger.

(From The Pearl Society)

$_12[1].jpg

$_14[1].jpg

$_14[3].jpg

$_14[1] (2).jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful pearl! I'm looking forward to seeing your completed ring. What a great way to repurpose an old band!

Nice and juicy!! Can't wait for finger shots!

I echo all of that, and 100% agree that maybe the most fun pearls to wear are the ones we can see as we wear them. Not that I'd be complaining about the others ;)

That will make an astonishing ring! I look forward to photos when it's done!

That will be like having the sun shine on your finger every day Sea Urchin ... congratulations!

You go girl! That is going to be a big ring. Looking forward to seeing that amazing pearl on your hand.

Wow, what a stunning pearl! ...Can't wait to see the pictures of the finished ring!

Oh, that is going to be great fun to wear! I am looking forward to hand shots!

It's here!

What shade would you call it?

Also, I am not sure what to do about the setting.

The thin diamond guard rings on the right can be used with whatever hand I have it mounted on, so they're just to show y'all.

I might have the CZ cluster removed from the ring on the far left and use that band. I don't wear it. But it's only 10k. I'm not sure if I care about that or not.

Or, I could have the yellow sapphire removed from the next ring over and have it mounted there. I don't wear that ring, either. It's 18k. That way, I could wear the matching Hawaiian band to the right of it with it if I wanted.

Or, I could scrap that idea and just have it mounted on the plain Hawaiian band.

Or, none of the above. I might rather have a band with some diamonds on it, and maybe a thinner band. Then again, I don't really feel like spending a zillion dollars on it.

Or... I don't know. Any ideas?

GSSP with bands.jpg

I like this colour. Not sure what shade the trade would call this pearl. It'll look nice on the 18k gold Hawaiian band.

Tough decision! I kinda like the idea of mounting that beauty on a wide band. It might balance it out and and make it spin less. If you don't mind the 10k that might work. Can't wait to hear what everyone else says!

Back