Pearls in chinese history

adidaem

Pearls are prominently featured in any 'historical' drama series over in Asia, so my impression is that Chinese have a long history with pearls. Apart from using them in medicine and cosmetics (literally as 'pearl powder'), you see pearls in most imperial portraits as they form part of the 'official' imperial wear.

Noticed that there haven't been any threads on chinese pearl history so just here to share my amateur knowledge. :eek:

I'll start with this strand of imperial pearls worn by an emperor. Traditionally the imperial family only uses the best so I guess this strand must have been considered a spectacular one back in its day:

Sold For: $8.7 million
Auctioned on: April 8, 2010

The ceremonial necklace was thought to have been owned by 18th century Qing Emperor Yongzheng (1678-1735)(see portrait that shows the necklace prominently). Based on what I read, it was made of freshwater pearls produced in Northeast China, where the imperial house of Qing originated.

"The main design consisted of 108 large freshwater pearls with 4 round coral fotou (Buddha head) beads flanked by lapis lazuli gemstones placed evenly around the necklace. There are 3 additional long turquoise bead dangles coming from the shoulder down to the front. Another long dangle featuring a large chartreuse quartz cabochon goes to the back. This focal is surrounded by smaller spinel and sapphire cabochons."

yongzheng-emperor-pearls.jpg

imperial-pearl-court-necklace-hong-kong--87-million.jpg

Sources:
http://www.mastoloni.com/pearls-edu...erial-pearl-necklace-sold-at-8.7-million.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/sothebys-auction-items-2010-4?op=1

Last edited:
A couple more Qing dynasty imperial portraits and examples.

Dragon robe and empress gown:
002.jpg

culturalchinadafc8414a1266b8d8bff.jpg

Crowns:
003.jpg

But strictly speaking the rulers of the Qing Dynasty are not 'chinese' but an ethic minority the 'Manchu'.

So looking back further in time to the Ming Dynasty that was under ethnic 'Han' chinese rule...

This is probably an imperial portrait as well:
Noblewoman5.jpg

Actual crown:
4501025737_f261caacd5_b.jpg

empress_phoenix_crown.jpg

Yes I did enjoy this thread and it is an extremely worthy idea. Thank you for starting it! China, of course, was the first country to culture pearls- without checking , I think it was around 1,200 bce when they started producing the little Buddha heads from freshwater mussels.

We did feature the top necklace when it went up for sale, but the rest are new to this forum. Great Idea and perhaps others will add to this thread. We do have some speakers of one Chinese language or another on here, so maybe they can add to the research!

Thank you for posting these wonderful photos. Yes, exquisite is the best descriptor :)

Thanks for liking this thread. :)

I'll post a few more pics from history that I found interesting.

Cixi is the famous empress dowager during the Qing dynasty... blamed for making many horrible decisions as the regent that lead to the eventual collapse of the dynasty. But she does have fab jewellery as you can see from these pics.

c01s10i02.jpg

She doesn't just have usual strands... she actually has a cape of pearls:
empress-dowager-cixi-21.jpg

Earrings during the Qing dynasty:
1-09.jpg

How would you pronounce Cixi? It is a really neat name...

I also rated this thread 5 star. Hope others rate it too!

How would you pronounce Cixi? It is a really neat name...

I also rated this thread 5 star. Hope others rate it too!

Thanks for rating the thread 5 star! :)

Cixi can be pronounced as "Tzu-hsi". More info in wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empress_Dowager_Cixi

She has a fascinating history. Tends to be vilified in drama shows as the power hungry concubine.

Fabulous contribution of amazing photos! Thanks so much! The leverback earrings are fascinating! As is the pearl cape~does anyone want to attempt something like this?

In China pearls are used frequently in hair pins - for elaborate hair styles.

Some examples:
37824193c6fa832d3576dfea8963bcff.jpg

4a1df0ea6fd37380151738f83bc9453e.jpg

30c1933d859baaef6da2b7b2327c567d.jpg

17gold_FSC_5286w.jpg

17gold_FSC_5292w.jpg

17gold_FSC_5293w.jpg

Last edited:
More examples:

Summer Court Hat for Imperial Concubines:
royalstyle33.jpg

Gilt Headdress in Kingfisher Feathers with Chinese Character "Double Happiness":
royalstyle35.jpg

Belt and Gilt Buckle with Floral Design Inlaid with Diamonds:
royalstyle36.jpg

Gold Headdress Ornament with Water Chestnut Floral Design Inlaid with Diamonds:
royalstyle38.jpg

And finally, more earrings for inspiration perhaps? :)

17gold_FSC_5310w.jpg

17gold_FSC_5313w.jpg

Even just for decoration, a gold magnolia tree with pearls:
06052881.jpg

Fabulous to see these pearls, some I saw for the first time. Thank you.
I am wondering : can we pick up photos from any site to put them here ? How does it work : permission and quoting ?

Hi CliClasp, great question and something I wondered about too.

My knowledge of law is not great, but we are using the pics for non-commercial purpose so it does make a difference (I think). Something under the 'fair use' rule? While browsing the older threads the past 2 weeks, I recall someone mentioning that it is ok to post pics, but I have no idea how to find the thread.

Help anyone?

adidaem,

Great Photos! thank you for sharing them. Many are new to me. if you have any website references Would you be able to edit your posts & list them with the Photos?

Cheers
Ash

Back