Women in power II: a new wave of pearl fashion?

I am afraid I was shooting in my own legs, diverting attention from women in power to my Tahitians:)

Back to power: I am putting forward my earlier message. Anybody has bright ideas for my article? ANY FRESH BRAINS LEFT AFTER THE EXCITING SHOPPING SPRAY OF YESTERDAY???:)

I think I am getting close to writing an article about women in power and pearls (maybe taken historically after the WW2). With the emphasis on the last few years but not only. Pelosi's strands just gave me a food for thought. In fact along with gorgeous SS baroques of our princess Maxima ('strict' chic, white SS) and the top soprano Anna Netrebko (outspoken chic, enourmous golden SS).

I understand that personal factor was important for setting a fashion but growth of the market (say, technology plus internet) made it possible for a broad audience.

It looks like there is also difference between American and European ladies in power: the latter seem to keep a much more low profile in clothing and jewelry. Why is that?

If somebody has more interesting examples or ideas - I would be terribly thankful, I am carried away by the topic...

Olga

article fodder for Olmander

article fodder for Olmander

One thing I noticed, but don't know if it was a trend or just happenstance based on a few episodes, is that women (girls?) on The Apprentice always seemed to have a set of pearls on in the boardroom. What I've noticed in my own work (consulting) is that I usually only see pearls coupled with one of two outfits: business formal suits, or evening formal gowns. Never with slacks and a button down shirt (but I'm trying to change that!)

I grew up with the impression that pearls are prohibitively expensive. I also never really knew about the broad range - there was only two options: tiny (seed?) pearls strung with other beads as embellishments, or simple, round, med. sized white pearls. I wonder if the increase lately stems from the internet and media - pictures and knowledge and "buzz" are so much more accessible these days, so people are less likely to see something like Pelosi's necklace, or pearls on a picture of Princess Di, and immediately think, "Ya, but I could never own something like that. SHE is a [princess/politician/fill in the blank]!" Add that to the expanding access to a huge variety of pearls, and we can make our own rules!

What about fictional women of power?

Chief hospital administrator Lisa Cuddy wears a nice tahitian strand in many episodes...appears to be very silvery.

Candace Bergen wore a big strand of baroque tahitians on Sex in the City when she played Carrie Bradshaw's executive editor.

These are the ones that stand out in my mind.

That's a good turn of thought!:) I like it:)

It can be seen from both sides:

1) either politico's are becoming more "loose" in style and turn from traditional '8mm white 16 inches' conservative style to something more fancy and challenging, or

2) more ordinary people like you mention pick up quickly what the top ladies are wearing, and due to internet and media it goes very quickly.

By the way, I have an impression that European top ladies are generally less formal in clothing than American ones. Even Angela Merkel, who is not a big fashion model, tries some flirty combinations of trousers with a small short jacket. Never saw any expensive jewelry on her, but also hardly ever a formal strict suit. Not to speal of the French ones which make their style always more playful. The only one who is close in style to Nancy Pelosi & K is Nellie Kroes - but she seems to spend half time in the US.

Does it have to do with some sort of political and cultural tradition? Is political elite in Europe different? Any fresh ideas?

Olga

P.S. yes, by the way, - what you describe (silvery and baroque tahitians) speaks more for the immitation hypothesis; they are in a much lower price category than those Pelosi strands or large SS by, say, Obama's wife yesterday. means available to many.

silverseajewelry said:

Chief hospital administrator Lisa Cuddy wears a nice tahitian strand in many episodes...appears to be very silvery.

And here she is with her Pearl Paradise strand!

Attachments

• Lsa Cuddy.jpg
    Lsa Cuddy.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 31
That is not bad AT ALL!!! I wish I could have one like that!

But Jeremy - is this one indeed much cheaper than Pelosi strand, or is the latter one just an icon?

Can you also say from your experience if there is difference what top potico's or business ladies buy as compared to the movie stars, or just pearl fans with money?

And again: did you notice difference in taste between Americans and Europeans? What about Asian top ladies?

Last edited:
Oh my goodness! I think I have that exact (or very similar) strand! Mine is a 32" freshadama 8-9 mm. It's fabulous and looks a lot like the one you posted, Jeremy.

re: Lisa Cuddy from House (which I neglected to mention)

I don't know the actresses' name offhand (though my husband thinks she's one of the most beautiful women alive), but that is a gorgeous photo, Jeremy. She is a poster woman for pearls.

Candace Bergen wore a big strand of baroque tahitians on Sex in the City when she played Carrie Bradshaw's executive editor.

These are the ones that stand out in my mind.

In "Batman begins" a very nice Golden SS is shown, I bought the DVD just for it:D

OK, here we go... is the fashion set by Hollywood?
Jeremy, confess - is it all yours? Are you the one who caused the new way of interest to Tahitians and SS? :) (...and this fashion was quickly spread around due to media and internet...)

Do we see the ears of powerful Jeremy from behing the fence there ?:D

I am continuing my research about ladies in power. Just came across two photos of Madeleine Albright. Can anybody explain me, if these really huge golden South Sees on the first picture and Tahitians on the second one? Both look a bit strange, so I have my doubts (the golden ones are so huge - is it a nap? the Tahitians are sitting strangely far from each other).

72818244.jpg

0305.jpg

Another question: the new fashion on large Tahitians and South Sea pearls - is it going along with the traditional classical fashion, or is it replacing it?

Olga

Wow. The golden south sea looking pearls are like ping pong balls. I don't even think they are attractive, to be honest...maybe in white. If real, they must be horrendously expensive.

The tahitian looking ones...to me, they look like something other than tahitians...maybe not even pearls. Hard to tell from the distance of photo.

Yes there are pearl police! Everyone here on this forum!

Nothing illegal about the pearls once they are here, unfortunately. It is just illegal to export them from FP.

I think it's false advertising to say they are Tahitians when Tahitians are supposed to have thick nacre and they are obviously inferior in quality. Just my hmmmmpft!

Ms. Albright isn't sporting Tahitians, I don't think. But Hillary has a huge set of WSS that bling when she's photographed. I'm guessing they are 12-15MM. She wore them all the time for about a year. I've been looking for her to wear them, but they are missing from her wardrobe during the campaign. Michelle Obama has been sporting some real beauties, though. Double and single strands, smaller, maybe 7-8. Very nice. In fact, they are calling her the next "Jackie O" trend setter.

Last edited:
Thaty's interesting about Hilary and Mrs Obama! From Europe we don't see that much of them as you do, so it is difficult to make any sort of conclusions. Thank you, Knotty!

Hi everyone,

if these huge pearls really are Golden South Seas, I still think they do notlook great, in fact they look vulgar to me. :eek:

I love large pearls but this size is neither elegant nor would anyone believe them to be real!

The second strand is probably Lapis Lazuli as Blair says.

Whatever they are, the golden ones look quite unattractive. I was just wondering, what can it be because ladies our of this league don't wear nap in public, I dare to say.

About the dark one - sorry, this was my mistake, they are dark, so my thought did not fly that far as Lapis Lasuli :)

Back