Women in power II: a new wave of pearl fashion?

I actually really like the huge Golden South Seas! But they look horrible the way she's wearing them. Those pearls are so dramatic, I think they should only be worn with an evening gown-- and something that is more bare at the neckline at that. The necklace might even be better if it were a tiny bit shorter. And there's no need to wear crazy gold wings on your shoulder and in your ears at the same time. Jeez.

What is nap?

Nicole

I can't bring myself to think of those big balls as 'pearls'. Can respect the value, the rarity, the endorsement from Ms. Albright means something too... Just can't!

Last edited by a moderator:
I must agree with you, Nicole, those pearls could look fabulous with an evening gown. Smaller roundish earring of some sort. No pin! The red shirt and dark suit don't do a thing for them. I LOVE large pearls!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Nicole, I think you identified the problem. I think I would like them better with a strapless gown or something.

There's a lot to be said for eccentric old ladies who disregard fashion in favor of wearing what they like! ;)

Yeah! And this lady is quite some jewelry collector and a patron of GIA for many years...

Now that I'm thinking, perhaps Ms. Albright strapless is a bit OTT, but Ms. Westwood in one of her polished punk creations with those pearls is almost a pleasant thought.

Would you say 20mm (?) golden pearls go with something like THIS ? :eek:

olmander said:
That is not bad AT ALL!!! I wish I could have one like that!

But Jeremy - is this one indeed much cheaper than Pelosi strand, or is the latter one just an icon?

Can you also say from your experience if there is difference what top potico's or business ladies buy as compared to the movie stars, or just pearl fans with money?

And again: did you notice difference in taste between Americans and Europeans? What about Asian top ladies?

The strand on Lisa is a freshwater, believe it or not. It is not even a top-grade strand. I believe it was our AA+, 9-10 mm, 36-inch strand. I had her pegged for something different, but I was basing it on her character. She is very different in real life.

We have been fortunate enough to put pearls on at least a couple hundred stars. It is because we started working with the Oscars and the Emmys about five years ago. A lot of them are great customers as well. Many stop in without appointments, the most recent was Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. I believe most of the Tahitian on leather neckpieces that you often see here have come from us (Pierce Brosnan, Apolo Ohno, Nicolette Sheridan, Cojocaru, Rick Yune, Henry Simmons, Kevin Zegers, etc).

As for the European market we definitely see a difference in taste. Tahitian pearls do well in Europe. But we find larger pieces at lower price points (lower quality) do better than in the US; especially pieces with large center pearls. Akoya have always been more popular than freshwater, and clasps are just as important as the pearls. Some may not know this but we have several contracted affiliates in Europe that are Internet based and really dominate the local market. A lot of the pieces we sell there never appear on Pearl Paradise.

Wow. The golden south sea looking pearls are like ping pong balls. I don't even think they are attractive, to be honest...maybe in white. If real, they must be horrendously expensive.

I don't think those are real pearls. The size is too large and a strand that big and that expensive (if it existed) would not graduate from 15 mm to 20 mm+ between two pearls.

Jeremy, thanks for this answer, this is becoming most interesting!

About European affiliates: is EdelKontor also your baby? Their logo is similar to yours and I definitely saw some very familiar photos there:). If not, can you give some directions, so that we could buy knowing that this is from your reserves but without long postage and without paying 20% tax on outseas purchases?

What are those mysterious peices that sell in Europe but not in the US? What sort of items (or type of pearls)?

Back to Hollywood vs politicians, both in the US and elsewhere. Can you say something about the balance between the classical look (8mm 18 inches) and the challenging style (with new types of pearls, SS or Tahitians, or FW barouques)? Is there any difference there?

Another problem that we still can not solve ('we' - are two academic scientists and two journalists who also got terribly interested in the topic) is what has provoked the new wave of interest to pearls and when did it happen. My husband remembers that in 1950-1960s one of his aunts wearing pearls was considered almost an outcast as a a dreary conservative nose-up somebody. Another colleague of mine told me that in Holland it has always been looked as a joy for 'kakkerig' ladies (despised). And then it changed. When? Why? Is it because just times changed (no rebellious 1960-1970s anymore) or is it the production side which offered more opportunities?

I guess you should have felt it being in this business for so long...

Here's an article on Michelle Obama's "Power Pearls". There are some interesting HUGE inaccuracies in it...

Michelle Obama's Power Pearls

A Couple of Examples...

1.) In the pearl business, a large pearl is 9.5-10mm at the most, because that is about the limit an oyster can handle...

2.) ... Mikimoto is one of the most revered faux pearl companies.

It seems this journalist has never heard of South Sea pearls at all and has not done a thorough research either...

I believe if Mikimoto could hear the statement about his company to be a "revered faux pearl company" - he would rotate wherever he is right now..

It seems this journalist has never heard of South Sea pearls at all and has not done a thorough research either...

...maybe the news agency 'outsourced' back office services from whatever remote, sad country with no pearls :( ... that's worse then the FleaBay adds we were mocking here at times :rolleyes:

Margaret Thatcher- see the latest Vogue. The lady still does not turn from pearls
#
As to stars...I had an admiring Anne Kirkbride looking at my pearls today

If the Mikimoto company saw that article they would probably get legally involved. That is baaaaad!

It it too bad that the article has quotes from Betty Sue King and Jack Lynch. Both know what they are talking about but the journalist clearly misquoted them or took pieces of what they said and used them out of context. This is, unfortunately, very common as I've mentioned before. There was once an article about us in the LA Business journal that was so filled with misquotes and misinformation that I called the editor and had the piece removed from their Web site.

hi Terry,

This is so funny. I saw that article too, and I was so disturbed I sent Mikimoto US an email about it. They wrote back within ten minutes(because I accidentally hit send without the link:eek:) So I think Mainstreet.com is in for some bad times. lol

Hi Salem,
please let us know if you see something in print about this...

I am curious to hear, as well. Accountability in this day of reporting on the internet can be pretty slim, so it's great that you sent a message.

Back