Women in power II: a new wave of pearl fashion?

olmander

I looked on Google yesterday just to check: it seems that in 2007 (?) the fashion on pearls among ladies in power made quite a jump. My sample included on the one hand, Nancy Pelosi, Nellie Kroes, and some top ladies from politics and business and, and on the other hand royalty, opera divas etc. Quite a few of top politico's and business ladies have got nice (but not TOO extravagant) SS or Tahitians, which everyone recognise as valuable but still not annoying for the tax payes.

Has anybody an idea if it is connected with
a) some breakthrough in production or marketing of SS and Tahitans, or
b) fashion set by one or another celeberaty, or
c) any other reason ?

Ten year ago even Princess Diana had only white classical perls with some more challenging design than average. Film stars of the earlier times like Elisabeth Taylor had always more extravagancy than average but as I see on images, also no Tahitians or SS.

What happenned in the last years? Did production of SS and Tahitians grow so much that it is gradually winning a larger segment of the market?

Olga

I think you'll find that prominent women have always worn pearls, I really don't believe it has anything to do with a new trend. Trends are for the masses. The variety in pearls is entirely due to their new accessbility, down to internet marketing.

I am not sure. From 10 pages of photographs for each only on the photos of 2007 they have pronounced pearls. Before that - mostly other types of neckwear, or no neckwear at all. It could be that some earlier wearing expensive pearls was a way of showing big money, which is not popular among politicials and high executives.

I am not sure. From 10 pages of photographs for each only on the photos of 2007 they have pronounced pearls. Before that - mostly other types of neckwear, or no neckwear at all. It could be that some earlier wearing expensive pearls was a way of showing big money, which is not popular among politicials and high executives.

Yes, wearing 'power pearls' is certainly popular now. I was watching the various US presidential candidates recently on TV, taking part in their various campaigns, with their wives. All the women but one were wearing pearls - lots of pearls in fact, multiple strands, some of them were very showy indeed. Of course, some pearls are more affordable and accessible now, and they were certainly making a statement. In previous years the pearls have still been there, but discreet. The ones I see the most are Condoleeza's big South Seas, she wears them for almost every speech.

Mmmm, yes,
Mrs. McCain was wearing a fabulous 4 rows of pearls yesterday. I think they were 4 rows - that's how many I could see on the t.v. screen.
The necklace was lovely - a deep, broad sweep of pearls.

'Pelosi Pearls'

'Pelosi Pearls'

I live in the DC area, and when we went shopping for my Christmas gift this year (fabulous baroque tahitians - necklace, bracelet, and earrings! My husband rules!), we found SOOO many strands of and references to 'Pelosi Pearls', and apparently they're selling like hotcakes. Nothing like living in one of the ultimate 'keep up with the Joneses" cities.

I have to admit, though, the simple fact that so many are buying strands of "Pelosi Pearls" ruins the charm for me - makes it feel like a status symbol. That alone keeps me away from them (OK, not really that alone - there's always the budget issue...). Absolutely, they are beautiful, but I want my pearls to be unique and to show off who I am, not who I have the money to copy.

...But, I admit my opinion is certainly jaded by living where I do. And either way, still gotta send props to Pelosi for helping bring attention to the timelessness of pearls!!!

I've wondered what those Pelosi pearls were about and am glad to hear it's who I thought it was. I can't claim to have a clue about her politics but know her son very well as we were friends in highschool. Small world.

Friends in high school with her son, huh? So..does she have any of your pearls, Josh? :) I would absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE to see a high profile person decked in some of your beauties.

gravityalwayswins,
A necklace, bracelet, earrings of baroque Tahitians ??
Wow ! Do, please, post some pics.

Josh,
Methinks you are missing a huge marketing opportunity there.....

Sueki - we're amateur photographers so this doesn't nearly show the coppers, greens, and purples! There are two big pearls in the necklace - one that drops in front when you wear the clasp in front, one that sits in front center when you where the clasp in back. I LOVE this feature - basically, two necklaces in one! :D

To give proper credit, the necklace & bracelet came from Adeler Jewelers in Great Falls, VA, and we had them put the earrings together with two dyed freshwaters and two of the tahitians we took out of the bracelet.

This all happened before I found this forum - even more fortunate that they treated us very well and we feel we paid a fair price.

Attachments

• neckalce_bracelet_earrings_sm.JPG
    neckalce_bracelet_earrings_sm.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 45
May I ask if your really charming necklace has blemishes on the pearls?

I don't know if it common for the Tahitians to have blemishes, maybe it belongs to the type. I also got a very nice collier of round Tahitians last week, with big round pearls, the biggest in the center is almost 17 mm! But most of them have blemishes, especially the bigger ones.

I am quite realistic that perfectly clean big round Tahitians would cost a fortune, so my blemishes is the compromise - but just interesting...

(In fact, from a distance of 1m all the imperfections are practically not seen...also on the photo... but they are there)

Olga

Gravityalwayswins (sigh, how very true......:D)
Wow ! Beautiful set - what lovely colours. And who cares about blemishes when the colours are so rich...
Personally, I think a few minor blemishes give the pearls an organic look and feel.
Yours are lovely, thanks for posting the photo. which is great.

Olga,
I don't know about high end Tahitians, but even the more expensive pearls can have blemishes.
See here: http://www.pearlparadise.com/detail.aspx?ID=2007

And these are not so expensive for what they are.

So, presumably, yes, perfect round ones will indeed cost a fortune.

I've wondered what those Pelosi pearls were about and am glad to hear it's who I thought it was. I can't claim to have a clue about her politics but know her son very well as we were friends in highschool. Small world.

Josh, you live in a very connected small world. Nancy Pelosi is Speaker of the House of Representatives. She is second successor to the President of the United States after the vice-president.

Ten year ago even Princess Diana had only white classical perls with some more challenging design than average.
Olga

There is a thread somewhere on this forum but my feeble brain will need to remember where, which addresses this topic. As I recall, Jeremy was asked to contribute to an article being written regarding the recent surge in popularity of pearls. So we all became little research assistants. I don't recall if a link to the finished article was posted on the forum.

Princess Diana had very elegant pearls. She had a beautiful pearl covered white cocktail dress, wedding slippers covered in pearls, and let's not forget her tiara. She also had collections of akoya and south seas pearls.

I did a little research. Couldn't find out why Pelosi stepped up from what one article calls the "traditional Republican double strand of choker-length eight-millimeter pearls" to her big tahitian babies, but apparently what started all the attention was when she came along with those for election night and her other large south sea babies for her swearing in ceremony. Then everyone started noticing! Perhaps she's just a true afficianado who has a budget to support such an appreciation. We should all be so lucky!

Here is an interesting article: Modern Jewelry.com article

Last edited:
Waw! This is a lot of nice information! Thank you all for references. I think I am getting close to writing an article about women in power and pearls (maybe taken historically after the WW2). With the emphasis on the last few years but not only. Pelosi's strands just gave me a food for thought. In fact along with gorgeous SS baroques of our princess Maxima ('strict' chic, white SS) and the top soprano Anna Netrebko (outspoken chic, enourmous golden SS).

I understand that personal factor was important for setting a fashion but growth of the market (say, technology plus internet) made it possible for a broad audience.

If somebody has more interesting examples or ideas - I would be terribly thankful, I am carried away by the topic... :)

Olga,
I don't know about high end Tahitians, but even the more expensive pearls can have blemishes.
See here: http://www.pearlparadise.com/detail.aspx?ID=2007

Sueki, thanks for the link, it is indeed very similar to what I got but thanks god, mine is muuuuch cheaper - long live the blemishes!!!... well, when I become an opera star or a Dutch parliament speaker, I can probably afford a better one... but so far the current one also looks nice to me, after all it is 12-17mm.. Here is a photo:

Tahiticollier-vi.jpg

May I ask if your really charming necklace has blemishes on the pearls?

Olga, yes, some of them have blemishes. Not all, but enough that the strand was in my price range. :)

Back