Where is it possible to see pearls from the Cook Islands?

MistofCassiopeia

Hey all, as a pearl aficionado, I just read that the Cook Islands produce pearls that are "dusty rose". Anyone know anything about them?

I collect single pearls in the 12mm range. Wish list? A nice pistachio, aubergine, and a seafoam to begin with. I just picked up a lovely 12mm peachy/golden freshwater (China) pearl with the loveliest luster with no imperfections! It was love at first sight! Sigh...

Cheers!

Cook Islands produce pearls that are "dusty rose
Where did you read that? Did they show a photo?

Carolyn Ehret of Druzydesign travels to the Cooks to purchase directly--perhaps she might know of them, I have seen rose, aubergine, etc., in overtones--but not dusty rose as body color. Perhaps she will read this and post an answer.

Echoing Pattye, please provide source as this seems to be a bit of free license. I'll be in the Cook Islands for a week in early October and can also cross reference in the interim.

I have been buying large quantities of Cook Island pearls over the last few years. I have seen no evidence that the Cook Islands are producing dusty rose color pearls. I could see a difference in quality between different technicians. I did not see any exotic colors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mistofcassiopeia

I'm thinking that you mean a dusty rose overglow? These I have seen in Cook Island pearls. Especially in the more silver charcoal colors. Some of the true blacks have a strong aubergine overglow that is stunning.
I myself have been working with one farmer in the Cooks who is culturing in albino oysters, to get beautiful whites. I have also seen gorgeous golden champagnes from the Cooks as well. Exotic colors are available, just not in quantity. More one of a kind pieces.
Hope this helps!

Carolyn

Cook Island Pearls....

Cook Island Pearls....

hey all,

I read about them in Antoinette Matlin's book THE PEARL BOOK on page 93.

By the way, the silvery pearls with the rosy overtone sounds delightful!

I saw a nice dove grey pearl recently but it was not nicely mounted with an overly large cabuchon. Too bad. A silvery dove grey would be nice too.

Cya

I'm thinking that you mean a dusty rose overglow? These I have seen in Cook Island pearls. Especially in the more silver charcoal colors. Some of the true blacks have a strong aubergine overglow that is stunning.
I myself have been working with one farmer in the Cooks who is culturing in albino oysters, to get beautiful whites. I have also seen gorgeous golden champagnes from the Cooks as well. Exotic colors are available, just not in quantity.
Carolyn, where were you on the 'Cook Islands Pearling Developments' thread! In any case, the farmer with whom you are working is uniquely positioned as a free thinker with familiar ties to the establishment (Cook Islands Pearling Authority). Is his work related to the development of a new grading system for CI pearls, or is he thinking more in terms of individual farm branding (like Josh)?

Hi Mistofcassiopeia
I was going to say search for "Cook Island" pearls. Steve has some great posts on that topic.

Hi Steve,

I'm just starting to post here, sorry I was the ultimate workaholic before, did not think I had the time..
Mark just decided he would try culturing whites in the CI. I haven't heard him speak of individual farm branding yet. His father is on the Pearl Board in Rarotonga and he has been pushing for better quality control and a new grading system for years. As well as more options for exporting.
I have heard that since our visit in June of 2005, there has been a large demand for CI pearls. At that time Peter & I were told we were the first American wholesalers to come to buy Cook Pearls.
I feel very lucky to be receiving a new parcel in the next few weeks.

Carolyn

Carolyn, Now let's see if you can stay away (when not traveling)!

The godfather of Cook Islands pearling, concurrent to early efforts in Tahiti, was a gentleman named Peter Cummings. He achieved a reputation for large white and silver pearls before being driven out of business by the Japanese in the early 1980s. My quest at the moment is to find, somewhere in Rarotonga, a good example (or two!) of a Cummings CI pearl from the mid-70s.

Interestingly, the late 70s and early 80s coincide with the last regular collection and commercialization of natural golden poe pipi. No wonder the lighter colors were Cummings' initial objective.

Regarding albino oysters, is the assertion a reproductive albino version of P. Margaritifera? There is also the Pinctada Albino (aka 'Arafura pearl oyster') species native to Shark Bay, Western Australia.

Pearl Impresario Who is playing with me? I not exactly sure of the meaning. “Pearl Impresario Par Excellence”

Peter, if you have difficulty changing your title, just email Caitlin. Instructions in the thread linked above.

Regarding albino oysters, is the assertion a reproductive albino version of P. Margaritifera? There is also the Pinctada Albina (aka 'Arafura pearl oyster') species native to Shark Bay, Western Australia.
Back to the Cooks (the past few posts re titles read like a Woody Allen movie script)!

Information from the Cooks regarding albino species is inconclusive, but I am reminded that there is amazing variety within the P. Margaritifera species, including Margaritifera with white mantle tissue.

Peter,

I think the person who changed your title was paying you a compliment. Here is what my dictionary has:

"impresario
noun
a theatrical impresario ORGANIZER, (stage) manager, producer; promoter, publicist, showman; director, conductor, maestro."

You are now bringing humiliation and ridicule on me!

I, also, took this as a compliment. I think there is reference to this in the titles thread.

I hope I misunderstood your comment quoted above, because if you're "not exactly sure of the meaning", I don't understand why you would automatically assume it's negative and make accusations when on the surface it looks like someone was trying to be nice. :(

No my "peeps" were making fun of me. I really take no offense but just got use to the last title.

Back to the Cooks have not been back this year because Air New Zealand dropped the Raro Tahiti flight and Air Tahiti only goes once a week it a problem.

Back