What size rope?

staceyjan

Community member
I would like to wrap the rope around 2-3 times and wondering what length should I look for?

Hi Staceyjan,

Well, what length necklace do you currently find comfortable and workable with most of your necklines? I like a bit of drape, so 19 1/2 to 20 inches, doubled would be about 40 inches, and tripled approx 60 inches. I'd go for the 60 inches, you will have tons of styling options, plus a completely different look when doubled.

A few pictures to give you some ideas for where lengths fall. Sorry I didn't have ropes in all the lengths so I had to use my tin cup pictures.The length all depends where you want the strands to fall. Personally I prefer strands that fall in the 20 inch range because when I look down I want to see the pearls I am wearing. So for me my tin cups I ask for 42 inches so they can be worn long reaching down almost to my waist or great doubled. They would be to short to wear triple.

2 42 inch tin cups
FullSizeRender-2.jpg

doubled
024 (3).jpg

2 ropes each made with 2 strands but made to nest together
IMG_0357.jpg

both ropes worn as a triple modeled by Kay with my "Fat sister" rope that is the length of these strands
IMG_0368.jpg

both strand hooked together worn as a quadruple so you can see how it would fall close to the neck doubled.
IMG_0708.jpg

a 33 inch white south sea tin cup
IMG_0301.jpg

doubled (not my favorite way to wear it because it is so close to my neck)
IMG_0876.jpg

A fuzzy picture of my 54 inch cream metallic strand worn as a triple.

whitedrops-plus-drops.jpg

No comments on length but a clasp is still a good idea as makes putting on and taking off much easier..and a shortener will keep the loops in order.

Pearlescense, thank you for the idea of a shortener to keep the pearls in place. Toward the end of the evening when I have twisted a long rope around my neck several times, I find I begin to suffer "death by pearls" as they begin to tighten and strangle me.

newberry, I bow to the queen! You have an amazing array of pearls.

I really like rope lengths between 42 and 60 inches. But I also really like the flexibility of being able to style them differently. In other words, one long rope can be disassembled into lengths for a bracelet, and multi strand layering...as long as the clasps used can all connect/disconnect.

Thank you JP ! I have been collecting pearls for years and the collection seems to have really mushroomed lately. I am a very happy girl.

I think to be able to wrap it three times, it would have to be at least about 48 inches long (16 inches x 3) and have a clasp. Twice around would be at least about 32 inches and need a clasp if that short, I think. I like my ropes to be about 48 inches and small pearls (under 8 mm) because then it's not too heavy, and I can double or triple wrap them and also tie them in a knot. Larger pearls don't make a neat, small knot and also I don't think I'd do a knot with akoyas because I'd be afraid of wearing off the nacre. Here's my metallic white rope from PP, 6-7mm-ish (with a clasp), 48 inches. If I wanted the option of wearing it long, I'd keep it at 36 inches or less.

wmp[1].jpg

Last edited:
Back