Vintage Pearl style

Dorothy Malone

Dorothy Malone .jpg

DorothyMalone1c.jpg

Leonie Vernet

Leonie Vernet.jpg

Leonie Vernet 2.jpg

Agreed! Fabulous thread!!!

I recently read that Agnes Moorehead wore many of her own pieces of jewelry when she was playing Endora. There was a diamond starburst pin that she often wore when in character, and she bequeathed to Elizabeth Montgomery (who also wore some of her own jewelry as Samantha). I am really fascinated by jewelry and its history.

What a fun thread! I love the vintage examples you found.

I am quite pleased everyone is enjoying the thread. Part of the inspiration for me in the image search, I've had several friends come to me with their "Family" pearls only to have to tell them they are faux pearls. The stories are interesting. In one case a great-grandmother sold her wedding pearls to send her daughter or grand daughter on a honeymoon and the pearls were later replaced with replicas and passed down. Only the story's discovered when the recipient endeavored to asked questions. Anyhow...

Most of the images I've come across are of European Aristocrats or Royalty (nothing wrong with that...but it gets redundant in the imagery)

Ruby Dee was a huge and pleasant surprise. I came across an article on High Society life in the UK, and one of the Aristocratic young ladies confessed in her coming out photos she was wearing long ropes of pearls which were faux pearls.

The more I dig the more interesting it becomes. Knowing that lots of the natural pearl ropes from old families had faux or cultured pearls added later on to increase the lengths or to replace damage and because 3-4mm Akoya pearls were so hard to come by faux pearls were added to get the flapper lengths. I confess I like finding the "Vintage" pics but also the pictures of the ladies as they've matured...true to form the pearls in some cases get bigger : ).

(let us consider this historical archiving of pearl fashion/style aka educational...because at this point attribution is quite difficult :rolleyes:). I hope you will add pics you've come across I think it could be a fun adventure.

PS: I hope no one minds the photos of obvious faux pearls...I think they count because they add to the importance pearls have played in fashion and history.

Last edited:
Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone
(Minus Tiaras and such...sorry bweaves)

Princess Alice.jpg

Photographs by James Van Der Zee

James Van Der Zee .jpg

Society Ladies

A Society Lady.jpg

(I love his work)

Now Cloris Leachman has some spectacular pearls!

I completely agree...and growing up, people always commented that my mother resembled Cloris Leachman. She is about 10 years older than my mom was, but now looking at these photos, I see the resemblance. Thanks so much BPDDC, for starting this thread...it really has struck a chord on so many levels for me!

I think if Coco gave the seal of approval on the mixing then it is good enough for me. Past life (one of many) I've done stylings for photo shoots using a mixture, I was always finding ways of sneaking pearls into such things. When I later told some friends or pearl purists (pearl snobs) about the work, they did some "clutching" at the idea of mixing. I rolled my eyes.

These photos are a treasure and delightful to see, thank you so much BPDDC! Remember reading that Chanel mixed her strands of natural, cultured and imitation pearls.

Back