Vintage/Antique Studs

CricketBug

In rummaging through my stash of pearls I came across the studs that were instrumental in setting me onto a love of pearls. I found these in an antique store when I lived on the west coast of Canada.

They're a lovely soft goldish-creamy colour, 8mm. They have screw posts which are rather thick and take ages to put on/take off, hence I haven't worn them for eons. They aren't "metallic", but have a gorgeous satiny lustre and are very closely matched in size and colour.

IMG_7977_b.JPG

The interesting part is that they're of Russian origin, with a weensy hammer and sickle hallmark, as well as "583" for the karat of gold.

pearl-earring.JPG

I'm not sure where the pearls might have originated, nor how old these are. I've had them for 25+ years and they were evidently vintage/antique when I purchased them.

And here is a strand that I purchased to wear with the above earrings. I bought these in the 80's, if I recall, at a time when pearls weren't the least bit popular, according to a friend's mother. The mother worked in a retail jewelry store where pearls sat for ages without selling. I found these in a small jewelry store. Again, I don't recall where they originated, but they are definitely golden with a lovely lustre, and are well-matched at 8mm. The strand is 24" long.

I haven't worn this one much for years, as well, but may pull it out and do some layering. :)

IMG_7978.JPG

What a beautiful combo! I love the setting of the earrings. It's very different from what I normally see (I don't have pierced ears, so I don't own any). Are they south sea pearls?

What a beautiful combo! I love the setting of the earrings. It's very different from what I normally see (I don't have pierced ears, so I don't own any). Are they south sea pearls?
Thank you, amti. I'm not sure where either of them originated. It wouldn't surprise me if the strand was SS. The earrings are more creamy in colour, so they may not be? I'm not a SS expert by any means.

Agree lovely pearls! But as for their popularity in the 1980s, at least here in the USA, pearls were wildly popular! Think about the whole preppy craze, madras plaid and pearls were all the rage.
I wasn't into pearls until my friend's mom gifted my friend with a beautiful strand, and the reason she could do so, was because they had been in the store for eons, so they got seriously marked down. :) After that, I started looking at pearls and the little store where I found the strand also said that pearls weren't selling much, so I got a good price, too.

Clearly, this must have been a regional thing!

Lovely pearls CricketBug, hope they get an airing, some wearing and some layering and that we'll get to see the neck shots!

Happy Huku, I'm not much of a selfie-person, being rather unphotogenic. Perhaps one day I'll top up my camera-courage and try some neck shots?!

What a fascinating setting on the earrings. Screw backs are usually used on very high quality diamond earrings, to prevent accidental loss.

Back