Using a Loupe on Pearls

danachit

If I were to look at an akoya pearl vs a freshwater pearl, through a loupe....what would I see? Would there be any difference?

I'd very much like to get a loupe, if for nothing else, my entertainment. Can yall recommend any specifics on which I should purchase and the use of such a tool in the pearling world?

Thanks!

Mods...I had NO idea where to put this so if there's a better place please mooooove it there! :)

If I were to look at an akoya pearl vs a freshwater pearl, through a loupe....what would I see? Would there be any difference?

I'd very much like to get a loupe, if for nothing else, my entertainment. Can yall recommend any specifics on which I should purchase and the use of such a tool in the pearling world?

Thanks!

Mods...I had NO idea where to put this so if there's a better place please mooooove it there! :)

Hi Danachit,
if you have loose pearls with drillholes you can see 3 different things:
1) the Akoya shows a nucleus with the nacrethickness at the hole
2) Freshwater and Akoya: if dyed, you can probably see rests of the dye in the drillhole.

3) Surface imperfections can be seen on either one.

BTW normal jeweller?s loupe = 10 x magnification, I have both 10 and 20, the latter is almost too close...

It?s always good to have a loupe, you probably have jewellery with stones, that?s always nice to look at.
The brands I have are JSP Triplet 10 x, 21 mm lens and
"Augusta" Diamond Loupe Triplet 20 x 20.5 mm lens.

I bought them online, I have to check if I can find ot from where and also if I can find out about the prices. I?ll get back to you later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! I look forward to the information! Thank you. :)

Awesome! I look forward to the information! Thank you. :)

Hi again,
I found out about the prices: 10 x = about 56 US $, the 20 x with a larger lens then normally = 64 US $.
I bought from a swedish company, if you don?t find one in the U.S. the name is
Konradwahlstrom.se
This type of loupe is called "Lupp metall", but I think you will find plenty of companies in the U.S.

Good luck!

P.S. if You choose between black bodycolour or silver you should go for the black one. D.S.

Hi Danachit,
When you purchase a loupe make sure to buy one that is "fully corrected" meaning that the you can look through the whole lens not just the centre and get a clear and undistorted image. Some of the cheap ones do not have corrected lenses and are more difficult to use as the image is out of focus when viewed on the edges of the lense.
DFrey

I'm looking at the riogrande site and some are color-corrected, some are corrected for spherical & chromatic aberration. Not sure if that's the same thing.

Also, not sure about the focal length?

I'd be happy to follow a link to a good site where a particular loupe was sorta sitting in a spotlight with big arrows pointing to it...:p

(I honestly don't know what I'd do without yall.) :rolleyes:

Its never easy when they give you too many choices. You want a lense that you can use the whole diameter of the lense without getting any distortion on the edges and I'm not sure what they call that, its not color corrected. I'm not an expert on optics but I think the focal length will shorten as the power goes up, 10x will have a longer focal length than 20x. 10x should be good for anything you want to look at. Why don't you phone Rio grande and ask, if you are lucky they may be able to tell you what you want to know on the first call.
DFrey

A lens which is corrected for spherical aberration is the type you want to avoid blurring at the edges. Chromatic aberration is more of a problem relating to spectrum shift, which is important for telescopes and the like, less so ( I presume) for pearls ( I have never used a loupe!) Perhaps it is more important for gems that exhibit fire and transparency? Don't know - my answers are based on astronomy, not gemology. My eyeglasses frequently showed chromatic aberration, wherein the full moon will have a yellow edge on one side and a purple edge on the other.

Hi Danachit,
When you purchase a loupe make sure to buy one that is "fully corrected" meaning that the you can look through the whole lens not just the centre and get a clear and undistorted image. Some of the cheap ones do not have corrected lenses and are more difficult to use as the image is out of focus when viewed on the edges of the lense.
DFrey

The loupes I have mentioned are fully corrected. The word "Triplet" on it explained wheter there are 3 or 2 lenses, I don?t quite remember it but let me assure you that I was very conscious before buying and checked and read about them;)

I'm looking at the riogrande site and some are color-corrected, some are corrected for spherical & chromatic aberration. Not sure if that's the same thing.

Also, not sure about the focal length?

I'd be happy to follow a link to a good site where a particular loupe was sorta sitting in a spotlight with big arrows pointing to it...:p

(I honestly don't know what I'd do without yall.) :rolleyes:

Danachit,
I think the important one is the correction for spherical & chromatic aberration. It is not the same as the colour correction but you should see to it to get both things in your loupe.

Now I have found what I have been looking for: a loupe of the triplet type has been corrected for distorsion and colour fringing and it should be in a black housing. Now I hope You have all the facts you need to be able getting yourself a good loupe.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, beyond 10X, a loupe w/o good optical correction is a HUGE headache. Literally a headache giver beyond half a minute of use or so (well, that's my tolerance level anyway).

After waiting time looking for something decent locally, I went and bought a good one: Gemology Pro from Harald Schneider.

20X gets very close and personal. However, it took borrowing time with a good microscope (~40X) to begin seeing treatment traces though :eek: Oh well...

So then would yall say 10 X is strong enough? The one I'm looking at is a triplet corrected for spherrical and chromatic at 21mm. Do any of you have the newer LED lens? I was thinking it might be cool to have some light on the object. They said the feedback so far is really good on this lens.

Danachit - can you let us know the make/model you select and how you like it? I'd be interested in purchasing one too. I'm sure others also find this thread interesting. Thanks!

So then would yall say 10 X is strong enough? The one I'm looking at is a triplet corrected for spherrical and chromatic at 21mm. Do any of you have the newer LED lens? I was thinking it might be cool to have some light on the object. They said the feedback so far is really good on this lens.

As Valeria says, a 20 x gets very close and personal...
10 x is what jewellers use and you won?t get a headache if using it for a longer time. If you get one with LED and it is good, pleaselet me know. I wonder whether it might be difficult to use when you are outdoors in daylight, which I often are when looking at pearls surfaces.

Here in England I have just borrowed a 30x loupe which I find is great to use. But I can't find one of my own anywhere. I'm thinking it might be nice to just get a microscope instead so I can look REALLY close, but they all seem so expensive... Anyone know where to get a 30x loupe or a microscope that isn't very expensive? I wont need (Well, I'd like it but it's another thing.) 90x but 50 or so could do.

I have 14x and 20x lighted loupes. They are good triplets, which should correct for both distortion at the edges and color issues. The light is terrific for most things but sometimes a nuisance. Fortunately, there is a switch, so you have a choice. Everyone wants to see it and try it when they see mine. They were a big hit in Tucson.

I suggest you get a 10x loupe (whether lighted or not). I bought mine from Southeastern Findings. You can call them and ask for the ten power lighted loupe. 800-282-8285. I think it's about $48.00. Get batteries at the same time. They're probably about $2.50 each

Or keep looking. ;)

Dana, thanks for starting this thread. I've been thinking about getting a loupe for ages now, and didn't know where to start. And last night, while I was sleeping, all of you good folks have answered all the questions I hadn't even asked yet! Thank you!

Dana, thanks for starting this thread. I've been thinking about getting a loupe for ages now, and didn't know where to start. And last night, while I was sleeping, all of you good folks have answered all the questions I hadn't even asked yet! Thank you!

Nerida, I have had the exact same thing happen. When it does, it's an unexpected delight -- someone does all the legwork for you! ;)

It would take me forever to find out this quality of information without the forum - I guess that's why we are all addicted!

Hi everyone,

I have 10 x and 20 x loupes, I have not seen 30 x yet. For gemstones and pearls 10 x is very well suited, 20 x could be used on pearl?s surfaces but it is too much for a diamond unless it is rather large.

A microscope would be even better but they are rather expensive. These microscopes you could get through GIA, magnifiers you can get with companies who sell jeweller?s equipment.

Mervione: I think I ordered my loupes from a company called Konrad Wahlstr?m AB here in Sweden.

Back