Twisting torsades ... Gemgeek?

softnsunny

A plea to Gemgeek ... In the gimp thread, you mentioned using cones and twisting torsades ...please, please, some help here! I have often tried twisting several strands of beads, often pearls tho not always, but I have yet to discover the secret of a soft, evenly twisted and permanantly twisted rope :confused:. I would love some tips ... do you use beading wire, thread? Do you tie off one end first, or just loop the one end around an eyepin, then twist ... please ... :)

I took all the strands, which were on lightweight coated beading wire and tied them in a knot at one end. Then I threaded the knot's loose ends through the cone and through a clamshell bead tip with a loop end. I tied all the threads in another knot, which I glued and closed into the clamshell after trimming the ends. Then I attached the loop to the clasp with jump rings. Then I repeated at the other end. The twist is not permanent. It is held in place by using a clasp that can't turn. Does this help?

The key to the stable twist is using a clasp that can't revolve. ;)

Assuming you were talking about this:

clasp[1].jpg
twist1[1].jpg
twist2[1].jpg
box[1].jpg

Thanks! I had a lot of fun putting it together. The colors are super and it shows that you can do a lot with less than perfect pearls and some pretty glass beads. Fashion pearls! ;)

MMMMM honey & cream & caramel....delicious! Its making me hungry though... nearly 3pm sugar time.

Ooooh, that is so pretty! Yep, that should help ... many thanks for your detailed instructions. I have seen many ready-made necklaces using both thread and beading wire that remain twisted permanently, and I've tried several methods, but the rope has been tight, partially twisted, or just untwists itself whenever. And lotsa times the beads have ended up shooting all over the floor, sigh. I just can't do it :mad:
But your necklace is so luscious, I am all enthused again, Thanks Gemgeek. *rushes off to find some pearls to twist ...*

What a beautiful necklace! You come up with some amazing confections!

Beautiful creation, Blaire! Where did you get the non-revolving clasp? Material?

Thanks! The clasp and cones are vermeil and I absolutely love them. I bought one clasp at the Gemfaire and I went back later and bought five more clasps to go with the short strand of cones I had previously purchased from another vendor. The soft finish really makes them glow. The clasp is tongue and groove, so it can't flip. I found that if you use two jump rings together to attach the clasp, there is less play and it looks great. The necklace looks nice both ways and is a lot longer untwisted.

I'm glad you like it. I think this is a good example of the difference better findings can make, although they are hard to find and even harder to find in a steady supply. ;)

Back