Triple Strand Question

pkinnew

For those of you lucky pearl lovers with triple strands, what mm size do you prefer? I know I can't get fancy with the graduated strands (looking at you, BAS!) but with the sales going on now I thought I'd price a freshwater triple strand. Thanks for your input!

I have a white akoya triple strand with 6-6.5 mm pearls. I think it is just perfect...it was my mother's. Here I am wearing it with another strand just to make it a bit more casual. I wore the triple strand with my wedding dress, almost 23 years ago.
IMG_0620.jpg

Okay, that cracked me up JerseyPearl!

Here you go:

Attachments

• JerseyPearl's triple strand.jpg
    JerseyPearl's triple strand.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 29
I think the biggest issue with pearl sizes in a triple, is that the weight of the pearls themselves can become an issue. If you have no practical limit due to weight, then size is up to you. I happen to really like my 8mm to 11-12mm Tahitian drop rope worn as a triple.

Whereas I have a 52" rope 8.5-9.5 that feels uncomfortable in short order. It's all very personal.

Visually, those new 9-10mm baroque might look fabulous tripled. What about baby nurses tripled multi for size?

Last edited:
Weight is not really an issue for me (at least not in my pearls lol!) it was more related to coverage, would large mm be "too much", etc. I think I'll play at home tonight with a few ropes to see what my options might be, although I don't have that many I can triple. Thanks all!

Hi pkinnew!

Here are a couple of pictures that might help. The graduated multicolor freshwater one is 7-10mm and the blue akoya is 8.5-9mm. I tend to like larger pearls but a triple of smaller pearls is very nice as well. I do think your best bet is to triple one of your ropes to see what you like.

PPtripleswearingin1.jpg

PPakoyabluecashm1.jpg

I have several triples -- my lavender triple is around 7.5 to 8 mm if I remember correctly. My Hong Kong multicolor triple is maybe 6.5 mm. The graduated white metallic triple is something like 6 mm, 7 mm and 8 mm. Then there's the graduated golden akoya where each strand is graduated from quite small to maybe 7 mm in the center? I think there is a lot of leeway in what sizes look good with triples. Smaller sizes still have a presence since they are tripled, and if you can take the weight, large sizes look great, too!

neck shot 11-10-14.jpg

Hong Kong triple.jpg

neck shot.jpg

with orange.jpg

My 20" Tahitian drop strand plus my 54" Tahitian drop rope doubled make for a pretty triple. This is about as many pearls as I can handle around my neck. Green body peacocks from PP. Peacock earring drops from Kamoka. Sweater by Bellerose.

Today_9056.jpg

What lovely triple strands, all of them are just over the top! Keep posting pictures!

Ladies, your triples are beautiful! I agree with Frost me, do keep posting more photos :)

Pkinnew, I'm glad you asked about size in triples because I have been wondering about the exact same thing.

BAS and baby nurse, which of your triple strands do you tend to wear the most?

Triples are a pain to get to hang right, no matter what the size of pearls, because the gap between them - or no gap - has to be perfect otherwise it is glaringly obvious. Even HM The Queen has one of her triples with one strand just a smidge long or one just too short. When I see her in them I do itch to sort it!

Oh my goodness, I am stunned by the beautiful array of triples...
Inspirational!

rebecka -- that's a good question. The Hong Kong triple, bought as a gift by DH, is my oldest by far. I probably wear that one and the white graduated metallic triple "the most". Nothing gets worn often, though. I try to rotate through my collection.

And lately, I've been drawn to wearing my single strands. When it heats up, I'll be wearing more single pendants...

Back