More EBay strands

Wednesday

Community member
I should probably stop doing this, but I’ve been buying mixed lots of broken pearls on eBay again. Just for fun, to re string and wear or gift.
I would really appreciate any thoughts on what I have this time (and I promise to stop now…)

They are all real pearls (gritty). Only one has a clasp (silver, with a pearl, no other marks).

My thinking is that they are all Akoya, but then I’m famous for my wishful thinking🤣.

Photos show each strand, with the mm size of the largest pearl.

I know for sure that they’re pearls but beyond that I’m really just guessing.

IMG_4172.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4169.jpeg
    IMG_4169.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4165.jpeg
    IMG_4165.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 26
Fantastic, thank you very much! Number 3 is by far the nicest, even to my novice eye.

They’re all quite short, I think missing some pearls from the broken ends, lost over time. I’m going to be forced (forced!) to keep looking for more, to match in a few on each strand.

Last edited:
I love these sorts of purchases, and I love looking at photos of them. So you won’t get any shade from me unless you don’t post enough pics 😸 You can also tell yourself you are doing something sustainable, which you are! Then there’s the fun in creating with rescued pearls. Your eye for pearl quality is good, and will get even better! Enjoy your pearls, and I hope you’ll continue to share your finds.

Thank you!
It really is fun, and I’m getting better at spotting the nicer ones. Funny how some of the less nice quality has a higher price tag than the good stuff on eBay. And once they need rethreading, they do sell for very little indeed. Sad that treasured pearls end up in little plastic bags in a job lot, but I love the idea of bringing them back to life to be loved again.
I’m going to re- string a few of them them with a jump ring at each end so I can wear one or multiple strands on a silver carabiner clasp. They won’t be a perfect match but I’m fine with that.

I will post millions of photos, no worries there.
And I know I said I would stop, but I was browsing earlier and a couple of broken strands caught my eye…🤣

Thank you!
It really is fun, and I’m getting better at spotting the nicer ones. Funny how some of the less nice quality has a higher price tag than the good stuff on eBay. And once they need rethreading, they do sell for very little indeed. Sad that treasured pearls end up in little plastic bags in a job lot, but I love the idea of bringing them back to life to be loved again.
I’m going to re- string a few of them them with a jump ring at each end so I can wear one or multiple strands on a silver carabiner clasp. They won’t be a perfect match but I’m fine with that.

I will post millions of photos, no worries there.
And I know I said I would stop, but I was browsing earlier and a couple of broken strands caught my eye…🤣
It’s all good. You’re among your people now 😸😸😸

Fantastic, thank you very much! Number 3 is by far the nicest, even to my novice eye.

They’re all quite short, I think missing some pearls from the broken ends, lost over time. I’m going to be forced (forced!) to keep looking for more, to match in a few on each strand.
You could probably use some of the lesser pearl at the back of a nice strand - either app the same size or lightly graduated.

Back