trip to Thailand

pearlescence

purveyor of pearls UK/EU
Hi All
It looks like I will be going to Thailand in the new year. Suggestions for pearlish destinations very welcome..farms and the like..?
cheers
Wendy

Pearls in Thailand

Pearls in Thailand

There are only few unimportant pearl farms near Phuket. In Myanmar there farms in the Southern part near Ranong and Victoria Point. But those pearls all go to Yangon, the capital and are sold on pearl auctions and on the local markets in Yangon.

In Bangkok fresh water pearls can be bought on the weekend market (Chatjujak) but the prices are quite high.

There are some wholesalers of good South Sea, Tahiti and Akoya pearls ( from Vietnam) and for fresh water pearls.

The prices of pearls in the shops around Silom and New Road ( Charoen Krung Road) are quite high.

Hi Wendy,

Thailand is quite famous for their gemstones and silver. I haven't been there myself but apparently there are many factory tours available of the silver factories. Not sure how useful this will be to you but perhaps you might find some nice findings or some interesting stones to work with.
I also hear that they sell solid gold in their jewelry shop windows like noodles. Not sure how the steep and rising gold prices have impacted this though.
Have a good time.

Hi Wendy,

Thailand is quite famous for their gemstones and silver. I haven't been there myself but apparently there are many factory tours available of the silver factories. Not sure how useful this will be to you but perhaps you might find some nice findings or some interesting stones to work with.
I also hear that they sell solid gold in their jewelry shop windows like noodles. Not sure how the steep and rising gold prices have impacted this though.
Have a good time.

My husband travelled there a couple times (company business) many years ago. Once he stayed for a month. The company chauffeur took him to the sapphire tour and store. I have a feeling kickback was received. Purchase included gemologist certificate of authenticity and gold was 18K. Many Asian countries used 18K more than 14K.

Wendy, have a great time!

Hi Wendy, It would be good for you to find some silver findings there - I think that would be better value than looking for pearls in Thailand. I have been there half a dozen times, always for holidays, and it is a great place. Gemstone/jewellery scams are absolutely rife, and upmost care should be taken of anyone offering to take you anywhere. Oh, and the taxi drivers are allowed to kick you out of their vehicle if you don't want to go where they want to take you - sounds like the reverse of what should happen, I know -... which usually means to their tailors/jewellery stores etc... often telling you that the attraction you wanted to see is closed for 'nationals only' or 'national holiday'!!
That said, some of the world's biggest jewellery houses buy their silver in Thailand. A bit of research would be in order!
Gold in Thailand is usually 22 ct.

I wouldn't be buying anything like jewellery at the Bangkok weekend market (Chatjujak) - it is a fun market to visit, and absolutely huge - a must to go and see monkeys and snakes being sold in the marketplace! Great for knicknacks though.

Have fun, Thailand is an amazing place!!

Last edited:
is Wendy interested in Fresh Water pearls or South Sea Pearls?

Hi all and thanks for advice. It seems a shame (and counter intuitive) that SS pearls aren't gettable, and I had an idea to visit a farm if poss. But sourcing good silver is always good. Compared to getting good pearls, getting good findings is the hard part!
not at all interested in seeing chinese freshwaters in Thailand. I've seen them in China

Wendy, I know 3 importers of South Sea, Tahiti and Akoya pearls, if you are a wholesaler you should visit them. As one of them is in a B.O.I (Board of Investment ) compound they can sell without passing importtaxes to you and they get their supply from Kobe, where the headquarters are based.
You also could fly to Yangon or Manila, which have cheap airfares.
For gemstones Thailand is also very interesting. In my opinion South Sea, Akoya's and Tahiti's should not be combined with silver settings.

Hi Wendy,
I'm from Thailand and know for the fact that pearl farm in Thailand is quite sparse, I visited once (one near Phuket) and the quality was not that high in my book, but it was years ago and they may be better now. If you go, please let us know how it is:)
I've been to Vietnam and around Halong Bay was a big pearling farms and I'm told by my jeweler friend that Vietnamese pearls are quite stunning.
Thailand is a good place to be in the winter, have fun!

Hi Wendy,

did u make your trip Thailand over the Christmas holidays and how was it?

Back