Tom Stern's natural pearls

Hi Tom,

I was joking but since you ask about something specific I was thinkin of this:

I was wondering what a diver gets for one of these pearls he finds. And also when shell prices in the U.S. went up there was a rush of new divers that joined in and caused some over fishing. So I was curious. What do you do to protect the shell populations from the mad drive to find pearls.

Pearl size: from 6 - 8 mm and nice quality would give a diver how much? Alternately give us some information on how to come to a certain price - i.e. what criteria do you use to know what to pay to a diver?

Thanks for answers:)

Hi Tom,

I was joking but since you ask about something specific I was thinkin of this:

Pearl size: from 6 - 8 mm and nice quality would give a diver how much? Alternately give us some information on how to come to a certain price - i.e. what criteria do you use to know what to pay to a diver?

Thanks for answers:)
I am a diver. Can I come play in Borneo?

Mikeyy said:
Will there be a ceremony upon my arrival? I mean is this a royal invite?:D

Considering there are about 20 pretenders to the sultanate in question that are giving away lesser titles.... there must be at least a thousand or more "princes" of Sulu and Sabah.:confused:

Slraep

Considering there are about 20 pretenders to the sultanate in question that are giving away lesser titles.... there must be at least a thousand or more "princes" of Sulu and Sabah.:confused:

Slraep
What? Well I guess I can put the tux away. Darn

What? Well I guess I can put the tux away. Darn

Maybe keep your formal silk shirt ready, as something can surely be arranged for you on my order. While the comment is true in general about numerous pretenders, they have at most a handful of followers, whose interest derives from greed. In reality, they are only legends in their own minds. Though we treat them with respect, since some of them do have royal lineage, they are regarded as examples of an old saying, "Of small sands, of small seas, small minds are made." By seeking personal gain, they act against the common good.
There is only one Sultan who receives the annual rent for Sabah, who was proclaimed by the people, and who other governments recognize as the reigning Sultan. He has 3 biological sons, one of whom will become Sultan in the future.

DrTKStern said:
There is only one Sultan who receives the annual rent for Sabah, who was proclaimed by the people, and who other governments recognize as the reigning Sultan. He has 3 biological sons, one of whom will become Sultan in the future.

Well, it is interesting that according to this Sultan, the Sultan who gave you your title is an imposter.

http://www.royalsulu.com/genealogy.htm

Slraep

I will have to go check it out. I have a silk shirt handy. And I was born with inexhaustible wonderlust. I don't know any Princes. I don't care if they are A or AAA+ Its just good to know someone when you are traveling to a new place. Even if they are lowly royalty.:D

I will have to go check it out. I have a silk shirt handy. And I was born with inexhaustible wonderlust. I don't know any Princes. I don't care if they are A or AAA+ Its just good to know someone when you are traveling to a new place. Even if they are lowly royalty.:D

That's the right spirit, Mike. :) I'm not sure who grades Princes of Sulu and North Borneo, but to get to what is important on this forum, this week GIA certified my 63 new natural ocean pearls (one fresh water natural) and is returning my 11 Tridacnas after studying them. I will be flying to Asia in a few days. What is your schedule? I'm always delighted to interact with people who want to discuss pearls.

Well, it is interesting that according to this Sultan, the Sultan who gave you your title is an imposter.

http://www.royalsulu.com/genealogy.htm

Slraep

We treat him with respect due to a cousin. This claimant lives in a tiny town 500 miles from Sulu and rarely visits. When he does, he never calls the Sultan an imposter to his face. Nevertheless, with Fouad's stature, he might be considered by the Royal Council when Sultan Esmail Kiram II dies.

DrTKStern said:
We treat him with respect due to a cousin. This claimant lives in a tiny town 500 miles from Sulu and rarely visits. When he does, he never calls the Sultan an imposter to his face. Nevertheless, with Fouad's stature, he might be considered by the Royal Council when Sultan Esmail Kiram II dies.

It's interesting that all other pretenders do not take Esmail Kiram II's claims just as seriously.

Slraep

It's interesting that all other pretenders do not take Esmail Kiram II's claims just as seriously.

Slraep
Why don't you come along. As long as its not Bloods vs. crips everything will be alright. :D

That's the right spirit, Mike. :) I'm not sure who grades Princes of Sulu and North Borneo, but to get to what is important on this forum, this week GIA certified my 63 new natural ocean pearls (one fresh water natural) and is returning my 11 Tridacnas after studying them. I will be flying to Asia in a few days. What is your schedule? I'm always delighted to interact with people who want to discuss pearls.
Well I planned on waiting a few weeks. Thought I would hit Darwin and HK. Maybe Kobe. Whats the plan?

Well I planned on waiting a few weeks. Thought I would hit Darwin and HK. Maybe Kobe. Whats the plan?

Hi, Mike,

I go back and forth on a regular basis maybe 10 times a year, so if not this time, another will work out. For security reasons, we can discuss itineraries directly, outside of the forum. My email is DrTKStern@aol.com

Regards,
Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks much for the update on the natural and tridacna pearls, they are so amazing, and for anyone who wants a look, check out the photos Caitlin took at Tucson! Think they are further back in this thread-------

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Hi Tom,

Thanks much for the update on the natural and tridacna pearls, they are so amazing, and for anyone who wants a look, check out the photos Caitlin took at Tucson! Think they are further back in this thread-------

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Hi, Caitlin and Pattye,

The photographs you took in Tucson that are in this link as postings #34 and #35 were certified by GIA as natural salt water pearls from Pteria species with no indication of treatment. They are 20 carats (17mm) and 13.45 carats. For some reason your otherwise fantastic camera work came out blurry; so when I get some time, I'll try send you some new ones. They really have high luster, and were noted as color "brown". I would favor bronze as a descriptor.

I found it interesting that Pteria sp. was specified. I hope members will comment with information about this type of pearl, which came from the general vicinity of Celebes. Jeremy Norris may have a comment from his researches.

Highest regards,
Tom

Tom,

Thanks for the update. As I was reading this thread, I got really involved in it. And I learned a lot. Regardless of what the pearls are, they are beautiful.

I have a pearl that I was told is from Pteria Penguin somewhere in the Phillipines. I was also told it was natural. . . Hey--I paid a whole five bucks for it!!:rolleyes: It looks a lot like the one in post #36 and is colored much the same--sort of a light pinkish bronzey shade--just a shade darker than the one in the picture. This probably doesn't help much but I came across it this evening when I was sorting through some stones so thought I'd mention it.

J. Marcus
http://www.flyrodjewelry.com/home.html

Back