Tom Stern's natural pearls

Hi Dr T,

Please reassure me that those gorgeous pearls are being stored in an appropriate environment to add to their longevity--and hopefully being worn sometimes by a totally appreciative lady??!!:D Love the photos, that suite of naturals makes a perfect screen saver!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Suite of Pearls

Suite of Pearls

pattye said:
Hi Dr T,

Please reassure me that those gorgeous pearls are being stored in an appropriate environment to add to their longevity--and hopefully being worn sometimes by a totally appreciative lady??!!:D Love the photos, that suite of naturals makes a perfect screen saver!

Pattye

Hi, Pattye,
Taking good care of them, and on very special occasions, my wife wears them. They are washed in warm water after use, carefully dried, and kept separate from harder gems in a humidity controlled vault.
If you have any additional suggestions for care, much appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom Stern,M.D.
Prince of North Borneo (Sabah)

Pardon me for butting my tiny Irish nose into this, but I am fascinated by your title: Prince of North Borneo (Sabah)

How did you acheive this title and what does it mean? I am fairly sure you weren't born to it, or were you? I think you are serious. So pleease tell us the story.......

Last edited:
Sultanate of Sulu and North Borneo

Sultanate of Sulu and North Borneo

The oldest royal house on earth, dating to late 1300s is the Sultan of Brunei; and the second oldest (1408) is the Sultan of Sulu, his cousin and neighbor. Our domain encompasses about the size of South Carolina plus 800 lovely islands, with roughly 8 million to 10 million people. Esmail Kiram II has been reigning Sultan since 2001, though there are some weak pretenders. The Sultan is strongly pro-American and regularly meets with top American officials and military leaders.

My wife, Yolanda, comes from the royal line of that area. In 2007, the Sultan adopted me as his son, then made me Prince, with a job title roughly equivalent of Prime Minister. My work involves high level peace negotiations, economic development, and trade. We have offices in Borneo, Sulu, Manila, and San Francisco. Anyone interested in mining or trade projects may contact me directly.

Tom Stern,MD
Prince of Sulu and North Borneo
Datu Bandahala (Prime Minister)

I know you must be sincere, but I can't help but think of Zeide...:eek:

GemGeek said:
I know you must be sincere, but I can't help but think of Zeide...:eek:

Unfortunately, but not his time (LINK). These things are all too easy to 'check' ;)

Z's famed claims were carefully chosen just outside the realm of public information... :eek: Thankfully, none of those were tried on me, I might have left this place if she did. I was just starting to post. :rolleyes:

These natural pearls... nd up in all the best places! :)

Hi Dr. Tom,

Anything of note you would wish to share from the International Pearl Conference last Nov?

Thanks again for sharing the terrific photos and information here!

Pattye

Posted for tks

Largest object weighs 57 carats, medium 32 carats, smallest 11 carats. Maybe I need to get out my Nikon to get enough clarity for the experts to comment on whether glass or pearl.

Attachments

• Pearls 009.jpg
    Pearls 009.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 42
You say 'keshi' for the Celebes pearl because of the shape, but it is a natural pearl, right?

Keshi Pearls

Keshi Pearls

You say 'keshi' for the Celebes pearl because of the shape, but it is a natural pearl, right?

My understanding of the term "keshi" refers to a pearl formed as a byproduct of the culturing process, when an oyster rejects the implanted bead yet has become sufficiently irritated to form a pearl without a bead nucleus. The word has nothing to do with the shape. For example, I have many perfectly spherical, enormous golden "Keshi." When the term first came into use, it had a looser definition, and applied to shape to some degree; but now I think it applies only to mechanism of pearl formation.

Also, I only use the word "natural" for a pearl that has never had any human intervention; hence there can be no natural "Keshi" pearl, as the terms are mutually exclusive.

Tested with various types of scans, this Celebes "keshi" contains no bead; yet it is not a "natural."

In contrast with my definitions, I have encountered a number of people who know pearls and insist that some keshi pearls form spontaneously.

Got it! Thanks. It is clear enough what keshi are (cultured pearls without a nucleus), only asked because the other pearls on the thread are naturals and, as you say, there are various distortions of the definition in use...

Friday
Pattye, Kether and I went to visit Tom Stern’s booth. What a nice man!. He is an almost shy, amazingly humble, quiet man, but as you talk to him you find he has led an adventurous life, especially since he retired from his medical practice after 33 years. He took 9,000 (or was it 23,000) wheel chairs to donate to people in Borneo and does quite a bit of that kind of work along with his pearls.

We saw more natural pearls than one is likely to see in a lifetime. And some of the biggest. He had many of them, mostly GIA certified. The largest 33mm peanut pearl is truly a million dollar pearl. We saw the heirloom antique set he posted a picture of in his thread. It is a museum piece worth a mere half million.

He has bags and bags of smaller natural pearls too. Many of his larger pearls had a great deal of water. Quiet water. You could actually see through the edges of them! But when you turned it a bit, the pearly luster came back. After you have seen these, you will never wonder what water is again…..

We saw his natural Celebes pearl-the size of a walnut. It is brown, but still very beautiful and lustrous.

He has some of the biggest fattest keshi you can imagine 16+MM? I will take some pictures, maybe tomorrow. We saw his cultured SSP a golden color to blow all other goldens out of the water and his Tahitian- also fantastic, but it is the abundance of natural Borneo pearls that gets one dreaming..

He also has about 10 Tridacna pearls in addition to the tridacna shell with the pearl attached. They are not GIA certified so he is not sure if they are Tridacnas or glass. I think they are natural because of the inclusions, but he is going to get them GIA certified too.

It was a pleasure to meet his beautiful wife Yolanda and look at her bead creations- no lowly beader, she. Her necklaces are large and elaborate with many collected smaller pieces incorporated in them and lots of beaded leaves, for instance. Hard to describe, but they come together beautifully.

She also had a tiny bowl of golden pearls and asks you to stir it with the tiny spoon. It is for luck. She confesses those pearls are fake, but says the result is the same as if they were real.

After meeting Tom and Yolanda, I just feel blessed that they found the Peral-Guide forum and are sharing this with us. I told him he so outclasses the JOGS show he was in- then heard that Bo Perry(?) is going to interview him for his publication!

I hope someone helps him get into the AGTA or the GLDA show. He should be in the upstairs gallery of the AGTA show where all the top jewels are showcased. I bet by this time next year, we will see him getting far more recognition.

Pix coming.

Hi Caitlin,
What a wonderful report! I can't wait to see pictures. I'm glad to hear the Dr. Stern and his wife made your visit to their booth so pleasant. I wish I were there (but I cannot complain as I have been in Miami Beach for a conference for work this week).

John

Great report, Caitlin. Just be sure Dr. Tom comes back next year!

John, I just arrived in Jacksonville, headed to Miami on Thursday via Orlando/Ft. Lauderdale. Why don't you consider a trip down to Key West to view/report on the Margarita pearls? I can forward the investor contact at Mel Fisher laboratories.

Steve

Caitlin,

thanks for your report on Tom Stern?s natural pearls and every other report of the Tuscon fair! It all becomes so "real" just reading and seeing the photos! I hope all of our members had a very nice time at the fair and will be reporting as well.:)

Thanks for the offer, Steve. I would like to have been able to do so. Unfortunately, I'm flying back to the office in the morning. I get to Florida a couple times a year for work, so perhaps the next trip...
John

Back