Tiny treasure

hbyrne

I thought id share one of my little beauties with you all...This little natural pearl and table-cut diamond brooch as been lying in its specially made silk-lined box for over two hundred years...that's how many generations, who have looked after it and kept it safe? Where has it been and where did it come from? It has no marks, and I've no clue as to its origin or exact age. I just like to open the case sometimes and wonder... The whole measures just 5cm.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Beautiful, simple elegence. I hope you do wear it sometimes.

Treasure is right! I'd love to see the pin closer on a white background and then from the back. Even the little case is a delight. :)

Yes, a little treasure like that should be fully displayed here for future learners. This is exquisite and unique. And I think showing something here is a new kind of provenance, even if it begins today.

A trasure! With the case as GG said :) Lucky you!

I'll add my 2 cents to your question, Pattye: identifying a piece of antique jewelry to a particular time period can be tricky as there have been design revivals over time (i.e. renaissance revival during the 19th century), but one can use clues on the piece at hand to make a reasonable determination. In the case of this lovely pin, I would say the late georgian period based on the style and the use of a less rudimentary table cut diamond. The style of the setting the diamond is in is fairly telling as is the use of silver topped gold as white gold or platinum was not yet in use. The silver tarnishes and takes on that beautiful charcoal oxidation over a long period of time. I have seen a lot of georgian reproduction jewelry out there, ebay has abounds, but old jewelry has a look of time wear that newer reproductions don't (unless they are very very good and therefore very expensive).

I'm glad you all love this little pearly flower too..thank you for your comments...im really drawn to its small, fine jewellery and i find its neatness really pleasing.

Madsciencechik, im glad you agree about the age. It could be earlier, but im going for 1800 at least.

Pattye, with dating antique pieces, once it has been ascertained that an item is old, handmade and has all the qualities you would expect, it comes down to a number of different factors particularly relating to, in the case of this little pin, what is in books, as items of this type are pretty rare. As to where the pearls are from, I think I'll do some more research to try and look at likely locations.

oh that is absolutely adorable, the entire package, case and pin. i agree with the pendant-izing idea, if it is possible without damaging! lovely.

Helen, your gorg pin look english to me, do you concur? are there any hallmarks? The english did some of the best georgian pieces IMO, though I love american georgian too.

oh that is absolutely adorable, the entire package, case and pin. i agree with the pendant-izing idea, if it is possible without damaging! lovely./QUOTE]

Probably possible but not without cost. Plus the loss of the real value. Once a piece is altered you do lose value. I should think way too much value. You lose is history, you can no longer use the box it came in and so lose the provenience. I would not do it. Too lovely as is anyway.

Dawn - Bodecia
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.

Dawn is so right. The value is in the condition. But -- if you love it and will wear and enjoy it -- I say have it converted when you can. It is absolutely darling. :)

Madcsiencechik, I'm based in the South of England, and bought it from someone who came into the shop, so there's every chance it is English, but i haven't even tested the metal.

Bodecia, Gemgeek...i couldnt bear to convert it, to me it is what it is...it's a teeny flower (probably originally given as a love token) whose beauty will never wither! I wear brooches anyway, I use them most often as an extra button :)

Back