Tin cup pearls better than a full strand?

airdancer

I was looking at some necklaces and I noticed that the Tin Cups costs more than a full strand. Are the pearls on the tin cups better than a full strand? Any PGer has experiences to share?

Do you mean how much the pearls themselves cost rather than the finished piece of jewelry? If you mean the pearls, than I think it?s normal that they cost more because compare the price of pearls in a bracelet to the price of pearls in a necklace of the same size quality and colour. I think that the fewer pearls you buy at once, the more expensive it gets.

I believe most of the value in a tin cup necklace is in the gold unless you are making a tin cup with say nice Tahitian pearls. Most tin cup necklaces are made using cheaper freshwater pearls.

'Doubt there is any logic in the price difference; after all, any seller can ask any price (and get it).

Much as I know, traditional tin cups (i.e. not two meter long ones with unmatched pearls and a couple' dozen types of chain - tho are 'in') get less nice pearls in and are priced for the 'style' (i.e. at random) despite being not-so-in-style.

Taking it coldly, the pearls can be way cheaper or allot more expensive then the cost of other materials and labour in a tin-cup strand. Depends on those pearls...

That's about all I know.

As for liking...
I like pearl chains - i.e. tiny pearls interspersed with more or less chain length inviting a pendant; and when the pearls are large and stand on their own, it seems that a bit of space between them (smaller spacers, chain lings, whatever) exposes each pear in a way traditional strands do not. Definitely fun for a necklace of mixed colors.

Great comments! I guess you all are right: there is an economies of scale in buying more pearls. I really like the style using large SSP or Tahitian round pearls - it looks marvelous with a off shoulder dress. I find a full strand more practical for everyday wear.

I think that a tin cup necklace is a great item, In our company they are by far the number one selling item, we can't keep them on the shelves! Either way a full strand of pearls or a tin cup you can't go wrong they are both great for everyday wear.

A tin cup is nice. One of the attys at work has a matinee length tin cup which I didn't think I would like but do. What I don't like is various chains and pearls. I just want to cut the fingers off of my gloves and bounce around singing, "Like A Virgin, HEY!" I don't think anyone wants that to happen. Hope I didn't ruin anyone's breakfast.

The cost is often higher because of the labor involved in making them and the cost of the gold. The thinner the chain (if gold), the cheaper the necklace, and too thin of a chain can be problematic (it can easily break).

The cost when dealing with freshwater pearls is especially noticeable because freshwater pearls are fairly inexpensive.

It is much less of an issue with Tahitian, South Sea, or larger Akoya pearls. The tin-cup will nearly always be less expensive than an entire strand.

The pearl quality typically is equal to a similarly graded strand, if ordered from the same retailer.

Here's a tin-cup we recently made with B quality South Sea pearls (using the A-D Scale). You can imagine how much gold is involved in the chain in this necklace... The pearls are 12-14mm.
SNWH014XAP018-zoom.jpg

We'll be soon adding an entire section to our website just for tin-cup necklaces with nearly every type and quality of pearl we sell.

A tin cup is nice. One of the attys at work has a matinee length tin cup which I didn't think I would like but do. What I don't like is various chains and pearls. I just want to cut the fingers off of my gloves and bounce around singing, "Like A Virgin, HEY!" I don't think anyone wants that to happen. Hope I didn't ruin anyone's breakfast.

You just made my morning!! :D

Far from making me lose my breakfast, I burst out laughing. I just watched "Grey's Anatomy" on TiVo last night and one of the surgeons was singing "Like a Virgin" while doing an autopsy.

knottypanda->ROTFLMAO!!
Thanks Terry and Mka4972! So, in short, economies of scale can't really apply since other factors are involved (skilled labour and gold) even if the quality of the pearl is the same. Got it!

This thread inspired me today. We have not carried a tin-cup style in more than five years, but there are a lot of things that can be done in pearl and chain, especially Tahitian.

My thoughts ...

Straight-size pieces with peacock Tahitians of differing body colors but with Tahitian "orient", or straight peacock.

Graduated pieces from 8-9 mm to 12 mm in the center. It would likely be seven pearls total, so 8-9x2, 9-10x2, 10-11x2 and 12-13x1.

Peacock circle Tahitians.

A piece with a 2-3 pearl drop but also a station necklace with keshi pearls every few inches up to the start of the drape.

A "Pelosi" style tin-cup with white SS, golden SS and Tahitians.

Well, there is a lot of chain and wire-wrapping involved. But the possibilities are endless. It should not be that expensive. You would allow for three inches on either side of the clasp to accommodate the neck, and if the piece were 18 inches and the pearls separated by two inches it would take seven pearls. A 16-inch piece with seven pearls would have a 1.5-inch separation. That separation seems about right. I think we are going to start tinkering with it next week.

This thread inspired me today. We have not carried a tin-cup style in more than five years, but there are a lot of things that can be done in pearl and chain, especially Tahitian.

My thoughts ...

Straight-size pieces with peacock Tahitians of differing body colors but with Tahitian "orient", or straight peacock.

Graduated pieces from 8-9 mm to 12 mm in the center. It would likely be seven pearls total, so 8-9x2, 9-10x2, 10-11x2 and 12-13x1.

Peacock circle Tahitians.

A piece like the avatar with a 2-3 pearl drop but also a station necklace with keshi pearls every few inches up to the start of the drape.

A "Pelosi" style tin-cup with white SS, golden SS and Tahitians.

Well, there is a lot of chain and wire-wrapping involved. But the possibilities are endless. It should not be that expensive. You would allow for three inches on either side of the clasp to accommodate the neck, and if the piece were 18 inches and the pearls separated by two inches it would take seven pearls. A 16-inch piece with seven pearls would have a 1.5-inch separation. That separation seems about right. I think we are going to start tinkering with it next week.

Great ideas, all! I was thinking about this today after reading the thread this morning. I remember the post in recent times with the photo of Olivia Newton John wearing her SS pearl necklace which was made with charms instead of a straight Tin Cup style. How does the labor differ between the two approaches? I like both but the dangling charms have their own appeal... At any rate, these are so wearable and more price accessible for those of us who want to collect different types of pearls it's great to hear you're going to "tinker" next week. :)

I don't think charms would really differ. They would be wrapped directly from the chain. It should not really be that much of a difference. If the pearls were set station-style they would be wire-wrapped from either side. If set as charms they would simply be attached at specific intervals.

I really do like your tin-cup style with the interspersed smaller dyed freshwater pearls but I wonder why you didn?t have that nice Tahitian from the "extender chain" in the center and the circled one as the end of the extender? The shape of the larger pearl is much more appealing to me and probably the extender is on the back of my neck so the pearl there will not be seen that much:rolleyes:

Tin cup style necklace with Tahitians

Tin cup style necklace with Tahitians

Jeremy,

please explain once again the difference between a "station" necklace and what:confused:.

I prefer the style the photo is from, not really like the big ring as shown in the Avatar, but a nice idea to have "dangling" pearls in the necklace.

What would such a piece cost? Amanda?s special was about 450 dollars if I remember, but if you are doing a tin cup in only Tahitians with the sizes mentioned that would mean at least 700 dollars or even more, depending on the high gold price and that is quite steep if compared to whole strands in the same quality grade,is that correct?

For myself I hope that it will be affordable so my collection can grow with different styles..

A Pelosi style sounds great but probably way too expensive for us ordinary customers, sigh...

Hi..What is a Pelosi style necklace.
I'm going to try out some of the tincups too. I think I will use silver first then if there is interest over here I could try vermeil to keep the cost down

Hi Wendy,

I think it refers to LARGE sOUT sEA PEARLS, in other words a real luxury tin cup. Pelosi had a whole strand of South Seas in an interview (she has probably more than one) and it was talked about it on the forum some time ago.

Attachments

• NPelosi.jpg
    NPelosi.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Ah, now I understand.
well, no I don't because those necklaces are not pearls and chain...
Anyhow, here is a photo of our former Speaker of the House of Commons, Betty (now Baroness) Boothroyd.
She is wearing some fabulous pearls.

Last edited:
Back