thrift store find: too good to be true?

pwray

I found these at a thrift store for $4.50. They are heavy, pass every test I've found to give them. I work in a crystal shop and know a real pearl when I see one, and I have no doubt these are actual pearls. One has a small purple stain which would probably polish right off, and there are a couple of tiny scratches, but otherwise they're in great shape considering where they've been. Yet, they were obviously restrung by a child or a moron--they're on the cheesiest possible dollar-store type of line, with a cheap screw-on clasp and steel separator beads.

I plan to get them restrung by a friend; my question is, what do I have here? What might they be worth? Should I wear them freely? They are very shimmery and stand out to the eye. Quite beautiful.

home.php

I had added an image to this post which doesn't seem to be showing up. How do I post images here?

Some good close up detailed photos, of lusterous pearls, and any blemishes will help us take an educated guess---which we are happy to do!

Thanks for replying, pattye... I had tried to post an image, but it didn't show up so I posted a link to the image on my facebook page. Hope that helps! I used this one because my hand is there to give an idea of size...

I think you need to be a member to see the photo on Facebook. Try saving the photo on your computer and loading it directly into a post. It won't work if you post a link, or try to post the picture here from the Facebook link (like the first attempt).

Yes, click on "Go Advanced: button under your post. There is a section called "manage attachments. Click on that to bring up the window that lets you select and then upload photos from your computer. Attach them, click to submit your post, and the photos will appear.

I uploaded a file, hope that helps. This was taken outdoors in bright light.

Attachments

• thrift-store-pearls2.jpg
    thrift-store-pearls2.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 59
Yes, try standing with them indoors next to an open door or window for diffuse light-- it will bring out the luster more. Maybe your camera has a flower icon you can select indicating close-up/macro.

Okay... here are a couple of different shots.

Attachments

• small2.jpg
    small2.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 47
  • small1.jpg
    small1.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 48
Jeremy, those remind me of my eBay "South Sea Pearls"! (Which were honking round Chinese Freshwaters.) ;)

whoops, I posted two that were the same. Well, that should be enough, I imagine. Thanks for your help.

Can you show us a couple of different pearls? In the first photos, I would say they were imitation "shell pearls" (Majorca etc) but in the photo of just the 2, they look more like big fat FW - need to see a couple more individual pearls to say, really.... how does the tooth test go?

Yes, that's why I want to see a few more.. they are a bit too perfectly round so far...

Hi Pwray,

1. When you rub 2 pearls gently together, do they seem very smooth, or a just a bit gritty? (I like this better than the tooth test.)

2. When you look closely around the drill holes, is there any peeling or flaking?

3. Any dimples or partial rings around the pearls?

4. Overall, when you look at the row of pearls, do they look all the same--
shiny and round? Or are there some slight differences from pearl to pearl?
A slight difference in color, or shape, or all the same?

5. Can you measure and give us approx mm size?

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, here are a couple more.

Attachments

• small1.jpg
    small1.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 50
  • small3.jpg
    small3.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 52
Back