The Pearl on my silver 950 ring glows with blue circle under artificial light

Pat325

Found this ring in an antique Victorian dresser drawer purchased at an estate sale. I love it but seldom wear it for fear of losing the Pearl.I noticed that when under a light of one of my lamps, the Pearl glows blue, just a blue circle. The ring is marked CPO NSS 950. I don’t know anything about the ring , age, history etc. Just curious about the blue glow

The Pearl on my silver 950 ring glows with blue circle under artificial light

The Pearl on my silver 950 ring glows with blue circle under artificial lightThe Pearl on my silver 950 ring glows with blue circle under artificial light

The ring is marked CPO NSS 950The Pearl on my silver 950 ring glows with blue circle under artificial lightThe Pearl on my silver 950 ring glows with blue circle under artificial light

I have a diamond ring where only some of the diamonds fluoresce under ultraviolet light. They glow blue, but the other diamonds don't fluoresce at all.

Sea of Cortez pearls will glow red under UV light.

Akoyas may fluoresce blue.

Here's a video on pearl florescence.

And an article that contains info on florescence.

I have a diamond ring where only some of the diamonds fluoresce under ultraviolet light. They glow blue, but the other diamonds don't fluoresce at all.

Sea of Cortez pearls will glow red under UV light.

Akoyas may fluoresce blue.

Here's a video on pearl florescence.

And an article that contains info on florescence.

Thank you for your very informative reply.
I did noticed that some of my diamond necklaces and rings fluoresce to blue depending on lighting. This is the only Pearl ring I own and was not aware till recently that it would glow blue. I found out when I took the pic to send to a friend. The entire Pearl doesn’t glow, just weird blue circles when I rotated it under a regular light bulb. If I understand correctly it’s referred to as “Akoya” Pearl? Would make since , because I found that “ CPO” was a Japanese Co. between 1946,1948 Still researching NSS mark.

I think you're seeing the diffraction coming from the bead. The nacre is worn down and a sort of "cat's eye" is shining through.
Thank you For clarifying . That would explain why I can also see some kind of “ powder, sand or salt” inside when looking near a light. Would this be enough to determine if Is just glass, or possibly Akoya? I hope I didn’t cause the wear down, kept it in a box with other misc jewelry for years.

Apologies, I have another question regarding the pearl ring. I took it to a jeweler to confirm it was real silver and that the pearl was at least cultured, he confirmed both but, didn’t know anything about what appears to
be “ NSS” Or “ WSS”? Could that mark be referring to the Pearl and not the Silver?
Thank you !
IMG_8781.jpeg

950 likely refers to Platinum.
NSS sounds like the maker of the ring. I am not familiar with the mark.
950 likely refers to Platinum.
NSS sounds like the maker of the ring. I am not familiar with the mark.
It is also marked “CPO” difficult if not impossible to capture, I can see it clearly with Loupe. What I found about CPO on several sites is that it was the manufacturing CO. Mark, based in Japan which sold silver and other jewelry in “ Army post exchange stores” between 1946 and 48. I’m just more curious than anything. I’ve scoured the web, taken to jeweler, etc this ring remains a mystery. Thank you for your reply
IMG_9117.jpeg

0.950 refers to the quantity of actual silver in the metal alloy. Sterling Silver (the SS in "NSS") is usually 0.925, so this one has the silver quality to actually kill or hurt werewolves ;)
I don't know why they used "NSS" but to me, the "SS" would stand for Sterling Silver.

…..Lol
I thought the same about “ SS” , the “ N” had even the jeweler “ stumped “but looking with his loupe , he said “ may be WSS”? Maybe it means something in Japan where( based on CPO) the ring originally came from but, what that is …everyone’s guess. I know now what to use it for should the need arise…😂
Thank you!

Back