Fell in love with this baroque pearl ring, tell me more about it? :)

topazera

Hello, generous pearl enthusiasts! I come seeking information. :) I rarely buy jewelry but I recently came across this ring and absolutely fell in love with it. Being so organic and free form, it feels so "alive" to me. This encounter got me interested in learning more about pearls in general and so I found the wealth of information here. I'm still a layman though so I was wondering if someone could tell me anything more about the pearl I have here? I just want to get to know my ring a bit! :D

It feels gritty when rubbed against other pearls. The shape is baroque: it's pretty round with a ridge and an arm coming off it. On the underside of the ridge is a dark dot of some kind which you can see in the one of the pictures of the ring on its side. The surface looks smooth (even under a loupe) except for one spot on the top that has a cluster of tiny dimples on the surface. The color is silver/grey, with overtones of pink and green that give it a very colorful, almost purple impression. The ring is about 2.7 cm long, 1.5 cm wide at it's widest and? I'm really am not sure how to measure a pearl, especially when it has all these appendages. :) It seems like maybe 8 mm to me (without the "arm") but all I can really say is between 8-10 mm. It weighs 6.1 grams. I also can't judge the overall quality but the luster seems better than either of the strands of (presumedly from reading these forums) akoya pearls I have from my grandmothers, I can see my reflection more clearly. The ring was thought to be .925 silver but I can't find any marks on the band so I'm skeptical. The band is uneven and has an extra blob of silver on the inside of the band that seems like it was added later.

Hit me with any observations you can make from the internet! I'm naturally curious so any conclusions about kind/size/color/luster/age/species it came from/anything would be fun to hear. :D I also would be interested in any guesses at value, even though I know the value is in the design and how much I love it (?also who knows if this is even sterling silver). Thanks so much in advance for any input! Let me know if there's anything I should try to photograph better, it WAS tricky. And you guys really have a great forum here, very easy to lose track of time reading. <3

Attachments

• boysenring01.jpg
    boysenring01.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 43
  • boysenring02.jpg
    boysenring02.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 48
  • boysenring03.jpg
    boysenring03.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 39
  • boysenring04.jpg
    boysenring04.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 39
  • boysenring05.jpg
    boysenring05.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 42
  • boysenring06.jpg
    boysenring06.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 42
  • boysenring07.jpg
    boysenring07.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 47
  • boysenring08.jpg
    boysenring08.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 42
  • boysenring09.jpg
    boysenring09.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 5- 6mm purple baroque pearl strand
    5- 6mm purple baroque pearl strand
    28.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 8 -9mm AA white round pearl strand
    8 -9mm AA white round pearl strand
    20.4 KB · Views: 48
Looks like a blue akoya baroque cultured pearl to me. The baroques can have extreme iridescence and the tail shape is common. The blob may have been added to size the ring or repair it, but not done professionally. Wax cast rings like this were especially popular in the seventies and early eighties. It's certainly a great pearl. Welcome! :)

the size looks big, like 12mm, is it ? i am afraid to say it is Sout sea from the pearl photos on your hand, other member maybe can help.

Last edited:
I think GemGeek called it right, baroque cultured akoya, natural silvery-blue color. I love it!

Back