The Las Vegas Edition 100 Inch Strand from Miki

MWP

Recently in Las Vegas we came across this Akoya pearl strand at a Mikimoto store. It is 100 inches of Akoya pearls. Mikimoto has dubbed it the "Las Vegas Edition". WOW!

Thinking about offering something similar in the future.....

Attachments

• Miki 100 Inch.jpg
    Miki 100 Inch.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 40
I have a 100" strand of white chunky FW baroques. It is a very impressive necklace - with Akoyas it would be luxe indeed!

I'd like to do that in 6-7mm white freshadama. Those akoya are luscious!
How do you hold the strands together?
barbie

I was thinking about one of those things that look like a gold safety pin with 4 or 5 little pearls on the back to hold multiple strands together. Might have to have 6 or 7 little pearls for something like this.
Anybody know where to get one? I could make one out of 14kt gold wire but I don't know where to get the "head piece". And I think I'd need a torch to solder with. I haven't taken the gold class yet so better to buy for now.

I have to think it's a rope or it's got a 5-row clasp.

Do you happen to know what size the pearls are?

The pearls are 7-7.5's. A1 Grade by Mikimoto standards, which is the lowest on the grading scale. The strand is a one of a kind and sells for $15k. The strand was made to commemorate the 10th anniversary of their store in Las Vegas.

You would think that they would use their good pearls for this, or was it that they didn't really want to commemorate the anniversary very much?
Price shows the power of brand though

The pearls are 7-7.5's. A1 Grade by Mikimoto standards, which is the lowest on the grading scale. The strand is a one of a kind and sells for $15k. The strand was made to commemorate the 10th anniversary of their store in Las Vegas.

Could you explain Mikimoto?s different grading scale, please? I would have thought that A1 was the best:p but as I never bought anything from them I did not bother to investigate until now...:)

The primary scale is A through AAA. This is where the A-AAA grading scale originates. But a few years ago, Mikimoto introduced another grading scale that allowed for blemishes on the pearls. So an A1 is a A grade, but with blemishes.

Mikimoto also introduced Blue Lagoon, Sea Magic and a few other lines a long time ago to move lower-end pearls.

Thank you for the explanation Jeremy.

Yes Wendy, I was also surprised they used a lower quality for this strand. However, since it was specific to the store in Vegas, and not a Mikimoto wide commemoration maybe they wanted to try and keep the costs down a bit.

Well, let's do a little math--100 inches is 6 - 16 inch strands, if knotted that would add a few inches, plus a small clasp. I'd probably have a few pearls to spare! Wow, if I could sell 2 per year at $15,000, I'd have it made! Even using top quality cfwp it would not be expensive! I'm talking myself into making this one--have some great lustre ivory baroques!

Boo, have you showed us a photo of your long strand? I well remember Sheri's gorgeous strand with Tahitians--------it might be longer than 100 inches--------

Anyone else want to take this on as a challenge?

I'm in! I'm working on a rope right now (matching the colors) that I'd planned to make 6ft but I'm going to go the full 100 inches instead.

Just love those multiple strands, they look so lush! Have been thinking about doing one with three strands of white Freshadama for some time now. I wear a double strand pink gem quality necklace a lot. It has become my fall back piece this year. I have to watch it though, the strands tangle after a while.
Can't imagine what a mess 5 strands could be. On the other hand, might look pretty cool. Like wearing heaps of jewels. But not overdone.
The Shirley Schmidt must weigh a lot. Does it ever bother your neck Wendy?
Bummer about Boston Legal.

Thank you for the explanation Jeremy.

Yes Wendy, I was also surprised they used a lower quality for this strand. However, since it was specific to the store in Vegas, and not a Mikimoto wide commemoration maybe they wanted to try and keep the costs down a bit.

I've read the phrases "died in the case" and "dead in the vault" in a few conversations about akoya longevity in storage-- think maybe they used less precious pearls because the necklace was primarily intended to be a display piece, even though it is technically for sale?

I've read the phrases "died in the case" and "dead in the vault" in a few conversations about akoya longevity in storage-- think maybe they used less precious pearls because the necklace was primarily intended to be a display piece, even though it is technically for sale?

Yes Lauren - Good point, you are probably correct on that one.

Back