"The KJM Collection" - Andrew's Mom's Pearls

I've never had an orbit clasp fail in the 5 or 6 years I've been using them. They seem very sturdy.

Where do you suggest to source orbit clasps? I love the look of them, and the idea that all manner of different strands could be worn in different combos using these clasps!

I've bought orbit clasps from Pearl Paradise (search on "orbit clasp") and I've bought them from Rio Grande Jewelry Supply (search on "oval push clasp").

I prefer the solid gold clasps, although I have some vermeil orbit clasps that came on necklaces from Kojima that are also very good quality.

I've bought orbit clasps from Pearl Paradise (search on "orbit clasp") and I've bought them from Rio Grande Jewelry Supply (search on "oval push clasp").

I prefer the solid gold clasps, although I have some vermeil orbit clasps that came on necklaces from Kojima that are also very good quality.

Thank you, @BWeaves ! :) This is a paper-thin excuse to go on a search that includes beautiful pearls... :rolleyes:

Strangely, I actually like ball clasps! I like how the shape is more blended into the pearl shapes, and thankfully haven’t had issues with loose ones.

I wonder if there are some easy adjustments to tighten those? Will have to do some research, and ask some of our vendors.

If anyone wants to get rid off their working ball clasps, I’d be interested in providing shelter/adopting! :D

I like the look of the ball clasps, but until I find a brand where the tongue thingy is bigger and more robust, and the ball itself is stronger, I'll stick with the orbits.

Once I had a ball clasp that didn't stay i place, but I just opened the tongue a bit and then it worked again. Haven't had any issues after that.

I've opened up the tongue on a ball clasp that wouldn't hold before. Unfortunately, after a few times of doing that, it broke. You have to be careful not to overwork the tongue.

Thanks for all the thoughts, folks! I think the orbit will be the way to go.

Has anyone had any experience with screw on ball clasps? I like the orbit clasp & I also like the plunge clasp.

Yes, I have several screw on ball clasps. I like that they look like a bead, and not a clasp.

To be honest, I only use them decoratively. Mine are white gold set with CZs and look like disco balls. I wear them on the side, so they show. I always check that they haven't unscrewed. I only have one that tends to unscrew itself, and the others stay snug.

I don't want to strip the screw thread, so I don't use them on necklaces that I can't put on over my head.

The screw type should have a swivel loop on each end, so that when you are screwing them, you are not twisting the pearls.

Ideally the screw should last a long time without stripping.

Last edited:
So I have to say, this isn't a pearl item but I have to share anyway, as it will all be in my mom's collection. A recently acquired piece that will be for my Mom, and possibly this stone will be paired with some pearls! - I bought this ring just for the stone, but it's a great platinum setting, too. The sapphire is cut by Jeff White.

Sappring.jpg

WOW, Andrew! What a beautiful sapphire! The color is outstanding! Is it, by chance, a Kashmir sapphire? Your Mom will be over the moon!

Beautiful Andrew! I love Jeff White's precision cutting and the color of the sapphire is gorgeous.

Back