"The KJM Collection" - Andrew's Mom's Pearls

How beautiful, Andrew!!! You can really capture the beauty of pearls in photos!! Your Mom is going to be thrilled. I need to show this thread to my sons. They've say they were giving me all sorts of lovely items for Christmas & birthdays...I'm still waiting. LOL I'm lucky to get a card. I would adopt you, too.

Andrew, have you looked at bracelets?

Thank you, everybody! I appreciate the pearl and photo compliments. Stay tuned for some "In progress" shots of fun, upcoming projects.

I have not yet looked at bracelets! A bracelet might be a more minor purchase type thing - Mom would much rather have earrings/strands than a bracelet, I think. She has her Seiko that is always worn, and beyond that not a whole lot for wrist wear. I'd love to find a smaller double bracelet, or something of the like!

The other hitch in the plan is that Mom is not a huge fan of single bracelets. And, bracelets can get real pricey at PP because they essentially make you buy X amount of the single bracelets. Feel free to throw around bracelet suggestions if you have any, though! :D

Oh, that triple is amazing. Your Mom is going to be thrilled. Not just Queen for a day, but Queen for the rest of her life!!!!

What a neat person you are, Andrew! So vibrant, and I adore how highly you think of your mom :D I look forward to more of your posts

Lol! You are all too funny. Thanks for the kind words! We can't wait for Christmas! And it's so hard keeping a secret about what the project in progress is! Hint: Diamonds and pearls!

Lol good thing PG postings are timestamped so we can sort out the line of Andrew adoption.

Andrew - would you share a bit how how you take your photos? iPhone or traditional camera, and under what kind of lightings? Not sure if you have shared this before and if I just missed the postings!

Sure! I haven't had the chance to take my actual camera out yet, but so far I've just used my iPhone camera. I use the same philosophy as photos of people -- generally, there is the best light at dawn and dusk, when it's pretty side lit. I find that the more diffused light I can get for pearls has been better.

There are room darkening shades in the house, and they are slightly blue. They have been awesome at punching the light down a bit and making pearls look not so blown out in exposure.

I teach a photography class at the local community college this coming semester; it's a studio class, so there will be a TON of opportunity to photograph jewelry. I am definitely going to play around with some pearls and also challenge the students with them too :) So, it will be interesting to see what I am able to come up with the best way photographing them with my nice DSLR and studio lights. I am going to see if I can do some cool close up, macro shots, and also compare with PP glamour shots. (Maybe they want to hire me. They can pay part of my salary in pearls!)

If you want to challenge your students, opals and mother of pearl are also difficult to photograph.

If you want to challenge your students, opals and mother of pearl are also difficult to photograph.

Cool! I'll see if I can get some of that, too! Might challenge myself, too!

My grandmother has gold watch with a mother of pearl face - that may be just the thing to prove testing!

Thanks for all the help and kind comments, everyone :)

Mom wore a pair of earrings I've never actually seen before today! - Guess she's still got some tricks up her sleeve.

They are smaller, gold half-circles with pearls in between. They look like spirals. Super cool. I will get photos later today when she removes them. :) - Or, see if I can convince her to "pose" for an ear shot.

Ear shot incoming! (and Mom letting me do an earshot is impressive in itself). Here are the earrings Mom wore today -- hadn't seen them (ever!) before. They are a trio of little gold loops and a pearl sits in the middle -- pretty fun and a neat little pair. Mom has the blessing/curse of really small lobes, so small jewelry looks normal on her, and larger size jewelry looks pretty royal!

Again, a pair probably purchased from JCP in the mid 90's - lots of things my Mom bought were with her employee discount when pieces went on extra clearance, so there are a lot of unusual/fun little things that sit in her jewelry box.

View attachment 63828

Last edited:
Grrr. I wish I knew why. Every time I edit the post and click to save changes, the photo comes up. ^grumpy face^

We'll try it again...

Goldloopcopy3.jpg

Back