Taiwan Jewellery & Gem Fair

Okay. We're home and Mom is in bed. Sorry again for my rudeness. I really didn't mean to be such a dork, but dorkiness is a trait that I can't always bury! ♡♡♡

Ya but we love you anyway ;)

GemGeek, I didn't think you were being a dork... I even went back to read your posts and didn't find anything. So, either you're not a dork, or I am a dork too! I'd like to think the latter is incorrect. And I'm also glad your mom's surgery is over. Its so stressful leading up to any surgery. Hang in there, the worst is over!!!

Purranha, thanks for all that gorgeousness!!! I had to look away a few times from all the shine, but I managed to look at all of it. More than once. My favorite was the conch pearl butterfly. Such creative use of the pearls. I also loved the black opals, simply because I love black opals. And your food made me hungry. Thanks.... ;)

Blaire, HUGS to you and to your mom and wishes for a speedy and uneventful recovery for you both.

Now switching gear 180 degrees - sharing some sample pieces of what you can find in the Taipei Jade Market.
All pieces here are some combo of Jade (mostly old jade), salvaged ching dynasty bronze parts, woven fabrics/ropes, and vintage findings/parts.

The item below can be tied onto bags or hang in apt as house decor. Old jade of dragon claw holding a ball, antique sandalwood carved dragon, bronze findings, glass bead tassel.
IMG_3588.jpg

Fascinating! Is that middle one a jade shrimp? My personal favorite ... the intricately carved antique sandalwood dragon! If I were so lucky as to find something like that, I'd make it an enhancer with a gorgeous pearl below and then ... well ... a tassel :)

You mentioned, "All pieces here are some combo of Jade (mostly old jade), salvaged ching dynasty bronze parts, woven fabrics/ropes, and vintage findings/parts."

Why the old jade and salvaged parts? Is that the look they were going for or is there a demand for older pieces or is it harder to get new jade?

Thanks,

D

Hey David!

To begin with, these pieces are most definitely going for the asian vintage style look. There are also plenty of pieces mounted in white gold and diamond and such, and they just look like contemporary pieces.

With the salvaged bronze parts, they are just no longer produced these days. The designs & metals used for findings these days (at least on the more commercial level) are becoming poorer. Some of the salvaged parts also have a slight patina look to them (not sure if that's the correct way to describe the look).

In terms of Jade, it is quite a large category to cover. Disclaimer - these are just my personal rough understanding - I'm not in the industry so could be misquoting a few things here.

In terms of old vs new - there are most definitely still a lot of jade being mined these days. But unless mined for high end fine jewelries, similarly to findings, the quality/carving these days are becoming poorer. And there are also older vs newer mines, where some of the older mines are more prized and becoming depleted these days.

There are also 2 main categories of jade - in the neolithic period, most of the jade in China are nephrite, which are a lighter creamier colored white jade, also known as mutton fat white jade. It is used both for jewelry, as well as festival/ceremonial purposes.

The greener jade, which has taken over the reference/definition of jade these days, are not introduced to China until later in the 1800s and mostly mined in Myanmar. It is mostly used for jewelry purposes. Green is the most sought after color, however, this category of jade also exist in white, orange, and lavender colors. The top grade of the green is called Jadeite, which is highly and evenly saturated in the brightest and most vivid green. Chinese people say these type of green is a bit oily & watery.

Hope this helps! :)

Back