Tahitian Pearl Collection Becomes a Necklace

pattye

Pearl Scholar
What souvenirs do you collect from your world-wide travels? Over ten years of international vacations and shopping, one of our P-G members and her son amassed a varied lot of bright, beautiful Tahitian pearls!

Finally there were enough for a necklace and I was asked to string them. Of course, I said yes, and requested a photo to confirm they were actually Tahitians, and yes, thankfully they were! So here is the temporary strand as it arrived, with 8 additional undrilled pearls. (Luckily I have a Very Special Friend who, in an emergency, will drill pearls for cookies, as I am not proficient in drilling yet.)

P1010257.jpg

Mostly baroque and off round in shape, I worked with a caliper to graduate, then mix the colors. Thankfully, the drill holes were all close in size. I could have spent another week rearranging the colors!

P1010260.jpg

Her clasp was a large blue Tahitian that had been fitted with an insert clasp. I think the final length was about 22 inches. Must say, Tahitians do go together so beautifully, and I hope this souvenir necklace is being worn often and the cool story told of how it came to be!

P1010263.jpg P1010266.jpg

Last edited:
How beautiful, and what lovely memories! I hope our Pearl Guide member will come forward and take a bow ... Congratulations!

Oh, that necklace is beautiful. I particularly like the length. I'm sure the lucky owner will enjoy wearing it as well as having happy memories of the places where the pearls were collected.

What a special and beautiful strand. You did a great job with the placement pattye!

Lovely strand of Tahitians. Who is the lucky PG er? Please fess up and post your neckshots. :D

pattye, BEAUTIFUL matching work! Could you please tell more about the clasp? It sounds so new to me :) did you do it yourself? how is the clasp inserted?..

Last edited:
What a good idea to bring home from a holiday! I have to make it a custom too!

That is really nice, and how special! I love a multicolored Tahitian strand.....

Our shy member appreciates all your kind remarks about her Tahitians, but insists her photo taking skills won't permit a selfie wearing her necklace, unfortunately. She is sending "Many Thanks" to all her pearl friends here, including JP, Bleong, Pearl Dreams, Katbran, Cathykeshi, Katalin, Lboone, Luvglitz, Sea Urchin, Hanadama, Kelluvpearls, Lugana, MSC, and Vi.

JP, From looking at the photo, the thread color is probably COAL. (I know I should keep a log, ugh.)

She furnished the clasp. It is made like an insert box clasp. Somehow the pearl was drilled out and the insert glued in. Now I'm wishing I'd taken a better photo of it.

Our shy member appreciates all your kind remarks about her Tahitians, but insists her photo taking skills won't permit a selfie wearing her necklace, unfortunately. She is sending "Many Thanks" to all her pearl friends here, including JP, Bleong, Pearl Dreams, Katbran, Cathykeshi, Katalin, Lboone, Luvglitz, Sea Urchin, Hanadama, Kelluvpearls, Lugana, MSC, and Vi.

JP, From looking at the photo, the thread color is probably COAL. (I know I should keep a log, ugh.)

She furnished the clasp. It is made like an insert box clasp. Somehow the pearl was drilled out and the insert glued in. Now I'm wishing I'd taken a better photo of it.

okey dokey..put it on your son's neck and take a photo from his chin down
?

Dear Shy PG member: I understand and share both shyness and dread of my own attempts at selfies :) Nonetheless, would love if you could bring yourself forward in writing :) and take a written bow. Would love to hear more of your travels with your son ... what stories you must have! But if not, please know I thank you so much for allowing Pattye to show us your gorgeous necklace of memories ... you couldn't have put those pearls in safer hands.

I agree with @CathyKeshi, I would love to hear about your travels! Thank you for sharing your pearls with us, they are magnificent. May you wear them in good health!

Back