Stringing Tutorial with photos: Stringing on Serafil, Beaders Secret & Power Pro

Thank Pattye! I figured I would try and learn by making a few mistakes...I can really see that once strung, the pearls have a completely different character (a good thing!) I also found the Beader's Secret thread so EASY to use. I was able to make really tight knots without using any tools (other than the threading needle). My only rough spot on the knotting is cutting the last threads off the finished strand. I got close, but not perfect. And I now see the suggestion about passing through one last pearl and not knotting, just cut against the pearl. I bet that looks much better!

Last edited:
JerseyPearl, Great job!

I'll just rotate them if that's okay...

JerseyPearl's Tahitians.jpg
neck shot JerseyPearl's Tahitians.jpg

Well done ! You did a fabulous job !! And as for cutting the thread..I use a thread burner (be very very careful lol ) and you can cut it as close as you like .... being very very careful :) I do pull the thread through a last pearl with a touch of glue so it doesn't wander back out again and then burn it.

You are well on your way to creating all your own necklaces !! Next step...earrings...

Just an update that may be helpful to some.

I wanted to see how I managed with Power Pro using only an awl (no tweezers) to guide the loose knot into position before tightening it by pulling the threads apart. It worked fine! If you don't have an awl, anything similarly long and thin could be used to guide the loose knot-- darning needle etc.

I can't manage it without the awl, though. Power Pro is not quite as slippery as Pattye's Serafil thread or Beaders Secret thread. (Caitlin, I know you do this with only your fingers but apparently I'm still too klutzy for that. :) )

Last edited:
I did find that I had to tug harder to get the knot where I wanted it when not using tweezers, and the Power Pro cut the side of my little finger due to how I was holding the thread when tugging.

I will probably keep using tweezers when using 20# Power Pro since I find it easy to do, but 10# Power Pro is softer and Pattye's Serafil thread and Beader's Secret thread are also easy on the hands.

Yes, whatever works.

Last edited:
Marianne, I put on bandaids after I got that cut and my fingers felt clumsier than ever! :rolleyes:
I don't even like using thimbles when sewing.

This safety tape is designed specifically for bench jewelers and such; I find it works well for protecting the finger(s) when knotting. Just overlap it and wrap a couple of times. It just sticks to itself and is flexible, comes in different colors and widths. Am I the only one that uses this?

P1000087.jpg

This safety tape is designed specifically for bench jewelers and such; I find it works well for protecting the finger(s) when knotting. Just overlap it and wrap a couple of times. It just sticks to itself and is flexible, comes in different colors and widths. Am I the only one that uses this?

View attachment 36674

That looks like sports tape!

It does-- exactly. I have some of that in a wider roll which I bought when my daughter injured her knee.

Here is my roll of athletic tape-- looks much the same. It adheres only to itself. It can easily be cut into narrower strips. It's stretchy, for a close fitting wrap.
Reusable, too, since it doesn't actually have adhesive (same goes for your green tape, Pattye.)

sport tape.jpg

I actually use a latex free version of the self stick tape now, but cloth bandaids if the tape has gone hiding :)

Back