Stringing Tutorial with photos: Stringing on Serafil, Beaders Secret & Power Pro

Just bought some starter items from pattye. I'm really excited to start to learn how to do this! I will let everyone know how it turns out for me. After seeing how many great things people have made themselves and posted pictures of here, I figured I could at the very least give it a shot to see if I'll be any good at it!

Thank you all for your suggestions about the Knotting Starter Kit; I'm working on it! I ALWAYS refer to the great tutorials here, and encourage questions and participation on the forum.

Lary007, you will just need a little practice. Beginnings and endings are the more difficult parts. You will receive lots of mentoring here on the forum! Knotting is really enjoyable, and such a useful skill! Lots of mentors here to answer any questions, too. :)

I can't wait to get my tools from you and begin practicing! I will post any questions or concerns I have here.

As a new beader myself, I was so relieved Pattye offered gimp with the Beader's Secret. I would have not know who to buy from, what to look for in selecting gimp, etc... gimp is really something foreign to us new beaders. I purchased 2 colors of BS, a package of needles, and some gimp. But it was only after reading this thread- otherwise, I would not have attempted to restring on my own. I would suggest 2-3 colors of BS/PP, choice of gimp (color), starter needles, and instructions or links to this site. I don't know if you want to carry simple clasps or not, but links to clasp sites and beads is also a good suggestion.

Pattye, thank you for always answering my questions and helping me out.

I just restrung my 26" baroque Tahitians into an endless strand using Serafil bought from Pattye. So easy!

I like endless strands-- they are really comfortable. The necklace is long enough to slip on but not long enough to double, so a clasp really isn't necessary (or even useful). I had to add a couple of pearls to compensate for the length lost when removing the clasp, though.

They're black under the daylight lamp; the colors only come out to play in diffuse light.

Baroque Tahitians 26%22 endless strand.jpg

Last edited:
Not difficult, really!

What I do (described in post #42) is string on 6 pearls without knotting between them, leaving a 3" tail at the beginning (use a springy bead stopper clip (like this one: http://beadwork.about.com/od/howtos/ss/How-To-Use-A-Bead-Stopper.htm#step2) so you have something to place the first pearl next to while still leaving the tail.) Make a knot after the 6th pearl.
Note: I modified this technique-- please see post 42 for details. Link:

Then string on all the rest of the pearls with a knot in between and after the final pearl.

Then take the needle and put it back through the other end of the first pearl (where the stopper is) so as to connect the two ends of the necklace. Pull both ends of the thread in opposite directions to snug up the pearls (that's why you needed to leave that 3" tail at the start), and make a knot between pearl 1 and pearl 2.
Note: It helps to lay the necklace down flat when you do this to keep the necklace ends snugged up tight. Otherwise the weight of the pearls and gravity may make the ends loosen up before you can make a tight knot.

Put the needle through pearl 2 and make a knot between pearls 2 and 3, repeat with a knot between pearls 3 and 4, pearls 4 and 5 and pearls 5 and 6. Now all the pearls have knots between them.

To conceal the end of the thread before cutting it off, pass the needle one last time through another pearl, and trim the thread without making another knot. Then trim off the original 3" tail.

Neck shot taken tonight and one in diffuse daylight before restringing:

Another shot of the baroque Tahitians.jpg
neck shot endless Tahitians.jpg

Last edited:
Not difficult, really!

What I do (described in post #42) is string on 4 pearls without knotting between them, leaving a 3" tail at the beginning (use a springy bead stopper clip (like this one: http://beadwork.about.com/od/howtos/ss/How-To-Use-A-Bead-Stopper.htm#step2) so you have something to place the first pearl next to while still leaving the tail.) Make a knot after the 4th pearl.

Then string on all the rest of the pearls with a knot in between and after the final pearl.

Then take the needle and put it back through the other end of the first pearl so as to connect the two ends of the necklace. Pull both ends of the thread in opposite directions to snug up the pearls (that's why you needed to leave that 3" tail at the start), and make a knot between pearl 1 and pearl 2.
Note: It helps to lay the necklace down flat when you do this to keep the necklace ends snugged up tight. Otherwise the weight of the pearls and gravity may make the ends loosen up before you can make a tight knot.

Put the needle through pearl 2 and make a knot between pearls 2 and 3, repeat with a knot between pearls 3 and 4. Now all the pearls have knots between them.

To conceal the end of the thread before cutting it off, pass the needle one last time through another pearl, and trim the thread without making another knot. Then trim off the original 3" tail.

Neck shot taken tonight and one in diffuse daylight before restringing:
Those are gorgeous pearls! And thanks for the hints on endless stringing...maybe one day I will attempt!

Thank you-- and do that! It's actually much easier than the whole gimp and clasp thing. All you need is a needle, thread, a stopper clip, pearls and something to cut the thread with.

But for newbies trying it, remember it has to be long enough to go over your head without the clasp!! For me that's around 23" minimum.

Last edited:
Today I experimented with using Beadalon silicone bead bumpers with thread (rather than beading wire.)
I used Pattye's Serafil, but other threads can be used.

Link to buy bumpers: https://artbeads.com/jewelry-supplies/beadalon-bead-bumpers-1-5mm-clear-oval-find-2132/
Beadalon bead bumpers are also sold on Amazon.

Edit 5/11/23: FireMountainGems sells their own version, called Bead Huggers:

String on the the first 3 pearls and the clasp as usual, back-knotting after each of those 3 pearls.

Afterward, string on a bumper after each pearl instead of making knots, continuing until there are 4 pearls left.

String on the 4 remaining pearls without bumpers, then finish the strand the way you normally would, attaching the clasp and back-knotting between the final 4 pearls.

The bumpers are tiny, but the 1.5mm work fine for most pearls, the 2mm are good for 11-12mm pearls and up. Heavy size Pattye's Serafil passes through the 2mm bumpers with a fine needle. I haven't tried yet with a medium gauge needle.

Why bother using bumpers at all instead of just making knots throughout?
• If you have trouble making uniform, looking tight knots-- maybe if you have arthritis in your hands and don't want to have to do all that tugging on thread to make tight knots-- bumpers offer an alternative.

• I have also found silicone bead bumpers to be useful when the drill holes of pearls you want to string are not a uniform size. I had one strand like this-- the hole sizes were all over the place. I would have had to make larger and smaller knots throughout. Bead bumpers made for a uniform appearance.

[Edited to add this: It's a good idea to have some bumpers on hand so that if you have a pearl that is eroded near the drill hole, the tiny bumper fills the eroded area. The silver color bumper works well for lighter colored Tahitians.]

You can also string on 49-ply beading wire with the bumpers, using crimps at the clasp. I have done this with Beadalon "scrimps", which tighten on the wire with a tiny screw instead of flattening the crimp with pliers.

One way to keep the little bumpers from getting away from you while working is to stick them onto the adhesive part of a a Post-it note. It's just sticky enough. I found it easy to insert my beading wire into the hole while it was on the mat. Hand-holding the bumpers is tricky! After fumbling and losing the first one, I came up with the use of the Post-it note. A sticky mat would work also.

Last edited:
Pearl Dreams, thanks for sharing.
I'm curious about the drape and feel of the necklace knotted vs bumper?

I have bumpers in my GSS necklace and it hangs very comfortably, but not quite as loosely as knots.
Edit: See my post #158 below. It turns out that the wire on which my GSS are strung is the cause of the lower flexibility. When thread is used as the stringing material, the bumpers do not reduce flexibility; I've tested it. :)

The bumpers, being lenticular in shape, are a tiny bit narrower than a knot. So if you have a necklace that hangs just a wee bit too long, bumpers may help it to shorten it that little bit. I am thinking of restringing my WSS necklace with bumpers for that reason.

I have found that with heaver pearls in particular, small gaps eventually show up even when stringing with Serafil or Beader's Secret. It's not that the thread stretches-- I believe the knots just get tighter over time, thanks to the weight of the pearls. I think the bumpers may help with this problem as well.

Just one caveat: knots also serve to secure the pearls in case the thread breaks. Bumpers will not serve this purpose. However, I have never had a thread break. And Serafil or Beader's Secret is quite strong-- 24# when doubled. Usually I end up restringing periodically anyway, when the gimp starts to look tatty.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on the non-clasp endless stringing. I don't know why it never occurred to me to do it your way. It makes so much sense. I've always done a clasp because endless strands (done by someone else) always broke on me, and always at the end knot.

I'm glad this thread is helping you all! It sure has gotten to be long, yikes-- 158 posts already. Respect to anyone who wades through it all.

One more update on the bead bumpers. I think the reason my GSS is slightly less flexible than knotted strand is that it's strung on wire.

I've strung some 12mm imitation pearls I had on hand with Pattye's Serafil thread and 2mm bumpers on all but the 3 end knots on each end, and it's every bit as flexible as my knotted strands.

Last edited:
I would be more inclined to use the bumpers with wire and knot the thread...but good to know! And especially if you need a quick change up.

And one thought: if you are selling pearls, and want to give a realistic preview of what the strand strung up would look like, this might be a great option. That way, a person could tell an approximate finished length, and you can protect your stock while storing. Actually, I think I'm going to go to my stash box and bumperize all the pearls I have temporarily strung on wire to offer them greater protection.

Pearl Dreams! So appreciate you putting this thread together. I only just recently ordered Beader's Secret from Pattye and started stringing my pearls. It is so incredibly helpful! Haha I was a bit ambitious and started my first stringing with a 50" rope. :p Turned out ok!

In the past, I've always been happy with just using soft flex & seed bead or bumper beads because I'm lazy. But what got me to finally plant myself down to do this is that I got a small batch of circled pearls, and while they are beautiful, a whole lot of them were off-centerly drilled. It showed and bothered me a lot on soft flex and I wondered if it would drape better and be less visible on thread. And it worked out beautifully. The stringing & knotting is more forgiving and made the off center drillings a lot less visible, and saved these poor pearls from potential neglect!

Also wanted to thank Caitlin for the Youtube tutorial. It is helpful to have a motion-visual, so I supplemented both tutorials. And since Caitlin's youtube tutorial was for an endless rope, it didn't have the beginning/ending portion. So the 2 together is just the perfect supplemental tutorials. So THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU Pearl Dreams & Caitlin for putting these tutorials together for us!

Back