Stringing Tutorial with photos: Stringing on Serafil, Beaders Secret & Power Pro

Thanks for the knot contribution. I have been pondering over this the last weeks as single knots do not satisfy me. I may have to redo some necklaces and give it a try. It is a "dangerous" hobby. I have finally decided to finish all my pieces and sell them, but find it very hard to reach that point. I find myself constantly purchasing new findings, pearls and stones to get a design right and seem to end up with even more stuff. So, it goes on and on and on.

Ramona, that's what I'm feeling too, although only for my larger pearls, at this point. The proportion is off with the tiny knots.

In fact, I plan to redo my black pearls (again!) using double knots throughout-- I lost about 1/2 inch of length when I restrung them, and they are just a bit too short now. I may change the clasp to a larger one as well- or better yet, I'll make a figure-8 loop for the lobster claw to clasp onto instead of the flattened large jump ring that it currently has.

Thank you very much for this, Pearl Dreams! I've made necklaces with knots between the beads before but haven't had a good handle on the starting and finishing bits. I think my first go turned out rather nicely. Now on to the freshwater pearls ...

stringing.JPG

Thank you, your encouragement is much appreciated. The Beader's Secret thread (from Pattye's Etsy shop) is much more forgiving than silk. A cable knitting needle works beautifully to pull thread to each pearl. Voila!

Great tips and instructions. I Use a slightly different version of two strand sometimes called the Japanese two strand. I have modifed some of the instruction from the fire mountain tutorial on this method.

Summary: tweezers, awls, or pins are not needed. The fire mountain instructions are in this link.

http://www.firemountaingems.com/beading_howtos/beading_projects.asp?docid=6918

http://www.firemountaingems.com/beading_howtos/beading_projects.asp?docid=6918

I string all the pearls on one strand then go through the gimp of wire guradian ( I like wire guradians best), and start back down through the next pearl. This gives you a strong continuous loop through the gimp or wire guardian. Then just slide each stringee up to the previous knot.. Use your thumbnail to guide the loop near the pearl then pull into place with a 90 degree pull of the two strings. This is just like tying the first knot in tying your shoes. As long as the knot is close to the pearl it will tighten exactly where you want it (no tweezers required). A few tricks at the end are required. I can make a video in about two weeks ( I have a craft show coming up next weekend) if anyone is interested.

EDIT: Tweezers are not necessary when using Beaders Secret thread (sold by Pattye on Etsy). The knot slides into place when the two threads are separated firmly.

Sorry to wait so long for this comment. The quote makes it look like you need tweezers for Power Pro. You do not need tweezers for any kind of thread including Power Pro- or silk for that matter. Pulling the two strands apart will seat the knot.

Please watch my video linked below for a repetitive chance at practicing without tools during the knotting.

Caitlin, if I try to knot using Power Pro and no tweezers, I get knots where I don't want them. That's just me, of course.

I hate being put in a position to defend power pro because it is what it is, a strong primitive thread with no 'extra' features such as color, lol. But one should not need tweezers to knot with it. I have slid knots from 2 feet away right into position, something impossible with silk, for instance.

No need to defend it, Caitlin-- Power Pro is great stuff! I like that it comes in so many strengths/thicknesses.

I am defending the fact it does not need tweezers to slide the knot, lol. The knots slide better than any other string I have ever used. including Beader's secret, which I find unruly- in comparison.

Maybe I just need to practice more, then.

Fact is, I don't string a lot of necklaces so I probably don't get enough practice.

In fact my buying (of all non-essentials, not just pearls) has wound down in a big way now that we have our daughter's college to pay for the next 4 years. :rolleyes:

Thank you, a million times over, for this wonderful tutorial! I just received an order from Pattye of her beader's secret, eye pins and gimp...this was so EASY to do!!! I had no difficulty at all restringing a 6-6.5 mm pearl necklace...I practiced with green thread against the white pearls figuring it would be much easier to see the knots and thus correct mistakes as they happened. The photo guide is amazing and very helpful. My strand came out all wobbly tight (which is a good thing!) Add my shout out to pattye for wonderful products. If I can do this, anyone can...believe me I can barely tie shoelaces!

HurraY (clap, clap, clap)! This is terrific news, congratulations! Very empowering, isn't it?

...and it won't stop with pearls, soon you'll be knotting EVERYTHING with a hole in it - seed beads? no problem. giant wooden beads? got me some twine here! fimo dough beads some hippy relative of yours made in the 70's? ooooh, would go great with with this lovely woolen yarn you've never done anything with ever....

what? oh, not that i have experiences like this on at least a weekly basis. nope.

welcome to the club! :)

What good news to come home to after a day out running around! Congrats on knitting your your strand!

Edit: Whoops, I meant to write knotting.

Last edited:
What good news to come home to after a day out running around! Congrats on knitting your your strand!

Hippie beads...I believe I have a few old strands of macram? twine left in a box somewhere!

Again, really wonderful tutorial and the Beader's Secret was so easy to use! I did not need any tools, other than cuticle clippers to trim the thread (and cut the pearls from the old strand).

So here is a practice run of stringing some Tahitian pearls...I didn't do a very careful job with this attempt...I was getting a feel for the pearls, sizing, and colors. I'm definitely going to move some of them around a bit, but not too bad, I hope!

IMG_2314.jpg
IMG_2312.jpg

Back