SS Gold Buttons

SteveM

I refer to my post #37 in the thread 'Pinctada Maculata (Pipi) Pearls' under Natural Pearls, regarding creation of a new platinum necklace featuring 10 x 6-7mm natural poe pipi and a superb 13mm SS white drop, specially sourced in a Western Australian private collection.

While sourcing the drop, our Cook Islands jeweler friend discovered and acquired the SS buttons attached. We are given first 'right of refusal' on these, and would greatly appreciate some perspective from this forum given our very limited experience at this point.

Here was the announcement upon discovery:

"I have also attached a photo of an extremely rare set of S/Sea Buttons. They are an intense natural Gold Colour, 16mm perfectly matched - I have never seen anything like it before.

These are a one of a kind set, they came together from 2 separate harvests, a real fluke but obviously meant to be. Needless to say a truly magnificent pair of earrings in white gold or platinum! The colour is truely amazing!"

Any comments/suggestions/valuation?

Thanks,
Steve
Seattle

Attachments

• SS Gold Buttons.JPG
    SS Gold Buttons.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 26
The color is some sort of Holy Grail for natural pearls... can't imagine that the natural color in nucleated pearls would be otherwise.

Wish I could help, and hope others will.

Last edited by a moderator:
amazing color and luster - looks like a great set, but I'm sure very spendy!

I'm curious what they are asking for them? You don't have to say if your not comfortable.

These certainly do not appear to be "natural" pearls (comments to Valerie's post). They look like cultured Golden South Seas. The luster and deep golden color makes for a substantial set of earrings, eventhough they are not perfectly round in shape.

Last edited:
smetzler said:
our Cook Islands jeweler friend discovered and acquired the SS buttons attached.
Hi,

are these pearls from the Cook Islands? If so, they are probably from P.margaritifera and not P.maxima as suggested.

Thanks for all the comments. I had thought that SS designation was understood as cultured, but best to clarify (perhaps my fixation on poe pipi gave cause for doubt). Re button shape that was my immediate reply to the seller, which in his eyes made me out as an 'American who reads pearl books' (paraphrase). But the comments here take all of that into consideration.

The set will go for NZ$20,000 (US$14,000) if they are allowed to make the shelf. And there is a buyer waiting if we are not interested. Our interest would be in the intrinsic quality/rarity, as neither I nor my wife are fond of huge pearl earrings.

Maybe alternate use if worth considering?

Steve
Seattle

Effsk: Our two posts submitted simultaneously! Yes, P. Maxima. The Cook Island source travelled to Australia to source from a private collection of an old friend for a centerpiece for the new poe pipi necklace he is creating for us. The buttons were his true reward for making the trip, it would seem.

Steve
Seattle

Valeria101: Not pulling up a specific piece from your link, unfortunately. However, the idea of raiding his dwindling poe pipi inventory one more time by providing the seller with the incentive of incorporating the buttons is super—placing me on another 'slippery slope.' Clearly, the pipi are no longer obtainable in any quantity/quality as loose pearls.

Steve
Seattle

Hi Steve,
Gorgeous gold buttons, amazing color!! Thanks so much for sharing your experiences and allowing us to live vicariously through them!!
Pattye

The subject of valuation was raised earlier. We're convinced the buttons are unique and about as textbook as can be imagined in terms of color and lustre, the matching even more remarkable.

At US$14K in Polynesia the argument would need to be made that appraised US retail value of $30K for this pair of pearls (produced as platinum earrings) is reasonable.

That aside, this forum knows that my greatest enthusiasm is reserved for naturals.

In other words, cultureds are a commodity, whereas the naturals are not.

Awaiting further advice!

Steve
Seattle

There is clearly a premium attached to the rarity of the pair. As individual pearls $7K would be extremely high retail. The fact that the pair is button may account for a degree of rarity as well, as I would expect to see such prices for perfect rounds. So in terms of simple pearl value, 14k is too high. I think the best way to ascertain the value of the pair is to just search out a similar pair, ranging from 1mm above and below. Of course in doing so, it would be extremely important to compare apples to apples regarding luster and color.

Also, you want to make sure you are very comfortable with the seller. Golden South Sea pearls are tricky in that processed pearls (for color) can be very difficult to spot. The processed colors (usually originating from Japan) look very much like the deep 24k colors of the highest grade goldens. For that amount of money on a pair I would suggest the use of a lab to be certain. Although I do think the pictured pair is of natural color. The left appears to be just a degree or two darker than the right, which would not be the case with a treated pair.

Jeremy,

Thanks, very helpful. Quite an argument for sticking to 'underdog' categories somewhat more removed from the limelight?assuming funds are not unlimited?

Steve
Seattle

Update: The two matching SS buttons have been christened Te Maanga ('the twins') upon their adoption by the Cook Islanders.

More recent photo, in brighter light:

Attachments

• Te Maanga:Forum.jpg
    Te Maanga:Forum.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 34
Steve:
I hope you don't mind. I've been using some of your pearl photos for my desktop this week. Do you mind telling us if you know what happened to these beautiful golden twins? You sure have a talent for finding the rare and amazing.
Thanks,
barbie

No problem! Thanks for the comment.

I'd be surprised if the buttons haven't sold by now (even at the price), but will have a chance to double check in person soon?will be paying a visit to the source at the end of September!

Reply from Rarotonga: Te Maanga ('the Twins') have been withdrawn from sale pending a matching SS Gold necklace, now nearing completion. I've superimposed the buttons with the selected 31 round SS golds (13-16mm) below. Being two separate (untouched) photos, matching is not precise, but we are assured that colors are well in line, all surfaces clear and clean.

Attachments

• SS.jpg
    SS.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 33
Remarkable pearls.My complements to the vendor for having the patience and courage to assemble such a piece
I hope the twins and their extended family find a loving home soon

Back