DIOR Joaillerie

Cyril Roger Brossard

189-120619-premire-de-couv-dior-joaillerie.jpg
The first book to celebrate the timeless beauty and craftsmanship of Dior?s jewelry designs. Since launching Dior Fine Jewelry in 1998, Victoire de Castellane has been celebrated for having revolutionized the staid world of jewelry design. Her designs play with the barriers between natural and artificial. Renowned as one of the most creative and fearless jewelry designers in the world, she trailblazed the use of the semiprecious gemstones and lacquered gold in baroque, translucent colors. Her sources of inspiration include a global mix of pop culture, floral and natural motifs, and the visual excesses of Bollywood.

About the Author

Mich?le Heuz? is a jewelry historian and gemologist. In 2005, she was curator for the exhibition on avant-garde French jewelry and she made a documentary about French jewelry in 2008. She has contributed to numerous magazines, exhibitions catalogues, and books, including L'Estampille - L'Objet d'Art.

Pub Date: March 6, 2012
Format: Hardcover
Category: Design - Fashion
Publisher: Rizzoli
Trim Size: 8-13/16 x 12
US Price: $75.00
CAN Price: $80.00
ISBN: 978-0-8478-3718-2

Article by Didier Brodbeck

Discovered in a Swiss publication ?Plaza Watch? in my hotel room, this great article on pearls entitled ?Natural Beauties? written by Maria ADAMS.
The article makes a long reference to the recent Chanel Fashion show by Karl Lagerfeld at the Grand Palais, in Paris, revamping ?Coco?s favorite?: The Pearl.

?With a history spanning over 4000 years and a retinue of fans that has included Cleopatra, Queen Elizabeth 1 and Coco Chanel, the pearl is arguably our oldest and best loved gem. As a new generation of designers explores the possibilities of this versatile Jewellery staple, and the positive environmental impacts of its culture come to the fore, Plaza Watch welcomes the resurgence of a much loved Icon.

?Nothing is more modern than the oldest shapes of the history of the world (?) For this collection I really dived with my imagination and I brought pearls back?. Karl LAGERFELD.

That LAGERFELD chose to champion the pearl is apt given Chanel?s long association with the gem.

Chanel was riding the crest of a wave that had begun with the evolution, during the early 20th century, of perliculture ?the creation of cultured pearls- which had made them infinitely more accessible to women of more modest means.

In a recent interview on the French Newspaper , Victoire de CASTELLANE was confessing: ?Yes, it is the first time, you see me wearing pearls; I love pearls softness and sensuality. In a very anxiogenic environment, I wanted to create soft lines of joaillerie.?

Pierre HARDY designer of , was happy to surprise that HERMES is now into pearls. Discussing with Mr HARDY, the designer admitted that he was a true lover of pearls and promised that we will see more pearls in the future collections.

Natural or cultured, however, there?s no denying that pearls possess a special something that sets them apart from other precious gems. Where the latter lie buried deep in the dark, cold earth until their discovery, a pearl?s creation within a living creature imparts to it both personality and an almost magical quality. That is becomes more beautiful when worn ?the skin?s natural oils enhance a pearl?s luster- creates a symbiotic bond with its wearer that only adds to its charm??

That says it all?

Back