Could this be a Pipi Pearl from Tongareva?

Hi Paul,

I think it might be quite a bit earlier than that but I really have to check the gold content again. And the platinum or silver. If silver much earlier. I just forget what it checked out as. I have a good tester so can do. Will let you know.

It is not so much my camera that is at fault, it is a good one. It can do just about anything. It is the operator that lacks the talent :(

The colour is bronze, pinks and greens and also shows other colours under different lights and angles. No walnut-ish colour. Is way better than my photos show. Much more colour to it than showing. Quite deep apricot pink over the bronze if that makes sense with quite strong green as it is turned.

Dawn - Bodecia
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.

That is an amazing ring! You need to keep it! But I would love to see more photos, because the pearl has so much depth to it and the ring is gorgeous.

With the smaller pearls, I am not sure that a pipi pearl is going to fetch a huge premium over other natural pearls. You should ask Steve Metzler if pipi pearls were more costly than other natural pearls. :)

Hi Dawn, maybe all you need to improve your pics is a tripod?
With enlarged close-ups it's almost impossible to hold a camera steady just with your hands.

I agree, if the setting is silver it will be Victorian, and there's little doubt it is a natural pearl.
It certainly is a magnificent old ring, and a very unusual pearl.
I have absolutely no idea what sort of pearl it could be, look forward to other people's comments on this one.

Hi GemGeek, Paul, Caitlin and All,

I will try to keep that big pearl ring. I do love it. Fits my ring finger just. Guess I have lost some weight :) As soon as I can I will take some photos of it. Normally Barry takes the photos because it saves me loads of time but I realise they are not always great. He has not been well so I will use that as an excuse to take some :) I don't want to offend him. Paul I will invest in a tripod. It is about time I did. I don't really think the Pipi? pearl/s will be worth a lot more either but I couldn't bear the thought of not knowing if it is a Pipi first. I will probably relist when I get over the heady feeling that I may have a Pipi :) I have my little collection of different kinds of pearls and it would be nice to add that one but I usually sell 95% of my stuff.

Thanks Caitlin for your post on my honesty. I did see it but now can't find it. Oh well. Meant to answer the posts properly. I haven't got your email address anymore. My computer totally crashed a few months ago and I lost all my emails. Hard drive died completely.

Oh yes. Must tell you. I needed to go through my pearls for possible orders and listings and realised that I was missing some so went searching. No kidding I would lose my head if it was not attached. I think I must have be-headed in a previous life. :) But what turned up was more than I hoped for. I found 2 natural pearl necklaces that I had put away safe and forgotten about. I can hear you thinking "she must be going dotty". I did have one marked "Check nacre" meaning I wanted to smash one or two pearls :) and the other necklace was not even marked for checking.
Have had a lot of back problems and can barely walk more than a few feet these days so more stress and pain than dementia but it was a, what is it called "a Grey moment" or a "Blonde moment". Also found a load of cultured pearl necklaces. Oh boy, now to rethread them and list but first the naturals.
Plus finally found all the stick pins with stunning naturals I had put away too safe. :0 finally found most of them too. Only 2 missing now.

Might start a new thread in a few days showing my best naturals. Ones that are not listed or not yet. Don't think that will be against the rules. Let me know if it is. So a lot of decent photos to take.

Dawn - Bodecia
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.

Hi Dawn - smashing pearls, "destructive testing" takes on a whole new meaning!

I'd love to see any naturals you've got. In New Zealand we get very few chances to see them.
Even on this forum they're a fairly rare treat. So please, start a thread!

Then of course there is the question of how to establish a value, hard for me when they never come up in local auctions.
I often browse Bonhams.com past auctions, they're quite easy to search and seem to have lots of natural pearl necklaces over the years.
Here's a useful link I've made to their past natural pearl necklace auctions:
Click for Bonhams Natural Necklaces

Last edited:
So finally I have the report back on the pipi pearl ring discussed in this thread, and I'll load a copy below.

It clearly states it is a "Natural 'South Seas' type" and while it says "Origin: unknown" it goes on to say,
"Resembles a type found in Penrhyn (Tongareva) atoll in the Cook Islands- (Pinctada maculata)"

I do have the original x-ray. This is only about the size of a small postage stamp.
Naively I expected the x-ray to be actual size, however it's so small it's so not easy to show it.

Over the weekend I'll play around illuminating it in my light box and see if I can photograph and enlarge it so the forum can see it in detail.

I sent the ring to Dennis Blacklaws in Wellington via his Auckland agent, and expected that Dennis would do the report.
However the local agent wrote up the report based on the x-ray and his examination of the ring.
I would've preferred the report written by the appraiser who actually took the x-ray, and will probably request it be re-done by him.

However I'm very happy, the pearl is a Natural! A great result!

Pipi_pearl_ID.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations again Paul. Your photos are much better than their's :)

If it was my pearl I would be a little annoyed at the codicil but I guess they put that on most if not all certificates just to cover the rear ends. :(

Hope you have spotted my new thread, just posted.

Dawn - Bodecia

I just saw this thread... the color took my breath away. Well, I'm head over heels when I see golden pearls.

Biggest pipi I have seen.. would have said keshi at first but hey.. Nature surprises us in the most beautiful ways.. especially when it comes to pearls.. The Cook Islands could produce a large one.. most of the time the local farmers there keep the nice pearls to them selves.. haha.. so you would never know..

Very nice pearl..!

Back