Sotheby's in Doha

Catalog entry now online.

...in the catalog's scholarly take, the bit about multiple pieces is confusing a bit: not clear whether this one is part of an older set of five or a remake.

Valeria, Thank you for the link. Seeing the zoomed in pictures makes me really appreciate the work that went into this. For some reason I thought it was only enhanced by pearls not entirely made of pearls. The engineer in me now wants to figure it out.

Thank you! I was wanting to see the detail--seed pearls are so small--and was curious about the colored parts--wish I could see it in person-----------

Am adding this description from the Sotheby's catalog, since likely the links will eventually disappear----------

"
circa 1865

The foundation of silk and fine deer hide is densely embroidered overall with a design worked in strings of natural 'Basra' pearls, measuring approximately 1-3mm, and English coloured glass beads. There are on average 78 pearls and beads per vertical dm. (10cm.), and 68 per horizontal dm., equalling a density of c.4,990 pearls and beads per dm2, The total area of the carpet is c.45,670cm.2 Making allowance for the three large diamond filled rosettes (c.440cm2), the 32 smaller rosettes (c.400cm2), and the smaller gems the total area embroidered with pearls and beads is about 44,500cm2 Therefore, over 2.2 million pearls and beads have been used to decorate the field. In our estimation, the number of pearls employed in the design is therefore at least 1.2-1.5 million. The rosettes are circled by small natural 'Basra' pearls of slightly larger size, measuring approximately 3-4 mm; the total estimated weight of the pearls is 30,000 carats. The designs worked in the rosettes are set with approximately 2,500 table cut and occasional rose cut diamonds, approximately 350-400 carats in total, all set in silver topped gold or possibly blackened gold; the motifs are further enhanced with foil backed rubies, emeralds and sapphires set in gold."

Last edited:
According to Strack there are approximately 1.4 Million seed pearls from 1-3mm's as well as 6x4mm pearls. In total the pearls are approximately 30,000 carats. There are also 2,600 diamonds, 1,300 rubies and 600 emeralds.

Keep the vacuum away from this one!!

Back