Show Us Your Pearls In Action!!!

Today I wore Mom's lapis and yellow gold bead and pearl necklace worn with a lapis heart on a silver chain that my husband brought back from Chile when he was a grad student there. Sapphire earrings and ring. New Boden skirt and top.

I know many of you liked the Rice Krispie and lapis necklace layered with this lapis necklace, but I just do not like them together. I wasn't sure about the silver chain with the yellow gold beads but my rings and bracelets are white and yellow gold today, so it works.

Rice Krispie and lapis necklace layered with this lapis necklace

Cathy, here's my first attempt at tea eggs. Apparently, it's important not to break the shells or you get dark fissures in the eggs (see egg on the right).

my first attempt at tea eggs

Hard boil the eggs by covering with water and bringing to a boil (which should take about 10 minutes).
Turn of the heat, cover, and let them sit for another 10 minutes.
Then gently crack the shells, but don't break the shells. You want to keep that membrane the shell sticks to intact if possible.
Simmer for an hour or two in black tea, lots of soy sauce or tamari and a teaspoon of 5 spice power.
Cool and peel, and they look like marble.
They are also highly caffeinated and will keep you awake (or so the recipe says).
I haven't tried them yet. I'll have one for breakfast tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
The eggs are beautiful, BWeaves ... hope they're delicious too! Thanks for the photo :)

Very cool eggs! Is there a reason coffee isn't used?

It's tea because the recipe is from a Chinese cookbook. There are two versions. One with the tea and soy sauce. And a second recipe where you peel the hard boiled eggs and cook them in the gravy of whatever meat you are roasting. Apparently, the eggs shrink a lot when they're cooked like that. I also have a version in a Jewish Passover cookbook where they are made like the the tea eggs only cooked with onion skins like Cathy's recipe.

There's no reason you couldn't try it with coffee, as long as the coffee doesn't get a burnt flavor from being cooked too long.

I think any flavor that goes with eggs and will stain / dye the eggs will work. I think Indian curry and turmeric would work, too.

Red, those earrings are so sweet!

SunSeeker, your little h pendant is gorgeous. Reminds me of a sunset.

Kalmen, thanks for the close up. Such a beautiful piece.

BWeaves, the blue lapis really suits you. Love the skirt too. The eggs look great!

Justin, cool bracelet! Is that a Tahitian? And what are the beads?

OK, I just tasted the eggs and I can't say I detect any flavor other than egg. Then again, the recipe called for 2 cups of soy sauce and I only used a couple of tablespoons, because 2 cups of soy seemed eggcessive. I can't vouch for the caffeination, either, because I'm drinking tea at the same time. But they look pretty.

Justin, I like your bracelet with the watch.

Bweaves I love tea egg or what we call 茶叶蛋. You can buy packs of pre-packed ingredients to make your own or pop by a store to buy hot steaming ones cooked in a massive rice cooker. And they do have a tea taste and soya sauce taste. Come to think of it I've not had it in a long long while.

Kalmen22, thanks for their real name! I must need to increase the amount of tea and soy I put in with the cracked shelled eggs. Thanks! I was afraid of overdoing it for my first try even though the recipe said to put in something like 1/2 cup of loose tea and 2 cups of soy for 6 eggs. Mine look like the photo in the cookbook, but don't have a flavor.

Bweaves I love tea egg or what we call 茶叶蛋. You can buy packs of pre-packed ingredients to make your own or pop by a store to buy hot steaming ones cooked in a massive rice cooker. And they do have a tea taste and soya sauce taste. Come to think of it I've not had it in a long long while.

Hmm why did I ended up posting twice.
Bweaves you definitely got the look of the eggs down. It can be even darker looking coz of the soya sauce. Chinese use soya sauce in lots of dishes. My hubby used to be fed soya sauce and rice when he was a kid.

Sunseeker, that’s a lovely combo for spring. The geode looks delicious.

Red, ah, gorgeous golden pearls at the beach! What a perfect start to summer.

Kalmen, the arrangement of the pearls and the little gold beads in your Catherine Cardellini rope is stunning.

BWeaves, I love the blue and white combo.

Justin, that’s a cool bracelet. Please tell us more about it.

Purranha, all those looks are gorgeous, but I especially love Emily Thorne with Sheri's Screamers. I need tassels, lol.

KaySD, Kalmen, and Sanippy - thank you so much! BW, your lapis and coordinated outfit look lovely together. And Purr, love love love your strands, I especially like the jade with the ripples. And Kalmen, I love your South Seas and Tahitian strand. That would go with so many things in my closet!

Back