Should they stay or should they go????

est190

I just received a strand of tahitian pearls I purchased for my mom for her 65th Birthday. They were described as dark grey, with red overtone. I am not really seeing the red overtone though. I was on a tight budget for this strand, which I purchased during a Valentine's Day sale for $360.00. I am not sure whether I can find anything better for the same or a little more money (I can probably spend another $100 or so if it means noticeably better quality). I understand that on this budget, I can't expect the moon and the stars, but I just want some second (third and fourth) opinions on whether these are at worth what I paid for them. Anyway, here are the pictures:

DSC01181.JPG

DSC01183.JPG

DSC01185.JPG

DSC01195.JPG

Last edited:
I don't see the red either, and that is a strange choice of words for an overtone. Color intensity and overtones are very important value factors in Tahitian pearls. The pearls are light-to-medium-light circled (appear medium-light in the box and light in the hand) with light to moderate blemishing. The luster looks ok in the third picture. For the price you did fine.

Personally, I like circled pearls a lot. Did you see a photo (assuming you bought online) of these actual pearls before purchase? I would contact the seller to ask about the "red," perhaps they would give you an additional discount since the strand you got does not have red or rose overtones.

Jeremy, I agree... the red is an odd choice for describing an overtone, but that was the description. The picture used to show the strand did, indeed, show a "red" overtone. Here's the picture that was posted for the strand:

$(KGrHqRHJ!wE8e4rWULNBPI!YbVFLw~~60_3.JPG

Clearly, the picture on the vendor's site looks snazzier than the ones I shot myself (much better lighting). I guess I can't complain too much for the price. I am buying another necklace though--for my wife's 35th. Originally, I was going to go with a golden SS, but I don't think it's possible to get what I am looking for on my budget (clean, off round/oval/drop, deep golden with high luster for under $1,500), so I going with tahitians. I actually loved the AAA peacock drop shape cufflinks I bought from PP back in January. I asked Trevor to find out how much it would cost to have a necklace of similar quality (and looking) Tahitians made up. Here's some photos of Jeremy's cufflinks--which are a steal at $130 after discount (think Father's day)!!!

DSC01167.JPG

DSC01175.JPG

DSC01180.JPG

Last edited:
Personally, I like circled pearls a lot. Did you see a photo (assuming you bought online) of these actual pearls before purchase? I would contact the seller to ask about the "red," perhaps they would give you an additional discount since the strand you got does not have red or rose overtones.

I feel kind bad calling to complain about the overtone. I already called her a couple of days ago because I was unhappy with the clasp. It's a 14k white gold fishhook, but it's very small and difficult to get on and off. She offered to give me $25 credit towards the purchase, which I could use to order another clasp that would work better for my mom's needs. I thought she did the right thing about the clasp already and don't want to complain about something else for what's an inexpensive necklace--if this were a $1500 necklace, I wouldn't be so shy.

I ended up ordering a silver magnetic "stardust" finish ball clasp from Bella's for $12, which I think my mom will be happy with. I still not in love with this strand, but it is pretty clean looking with decent luster and the pearls are a nice size. I think the photo was a bit misleading, but if Jeremy thinks it was a decent buy I do feel a bit better about transaction. I have a bigger budget for my wife's strand, so I hoping to find a strand with stronger overtones and a little more "bling".

I think the pearls have a Very pleasing shape and luster. They have a lovely round plump shape, my favorite.

I think they are rather nice - are they Pearl oasis, perchance?

A. Jones, they are from PO. :) I bought another strand from them for my wife at a higher price point, but I haven't received it yet (and won't for a little while). I am still am shopping though. I would love to get something for my wife that is on par with the pearls on my cufflinks.

Lisa C. Thanks, my wife really likes the shape of them too. From a couple of feet away, this strand has a round appearance. Even though it has some light to moderate spotting--most of the affected pearls are higher up on the strand and there are no really deep or nasty scares or blemishes. You know--the more I think about it, I think I am going to keep these. :)

Pattye: It is definitely the same necklace as the one in the picture--but as I am sure you know, it's soooo hard to judge pearls based on pictures. The pictures I took are .raw files that I converted to .jpg (for anyone who is a photographer) and I did NO editing at all. With good lighting and a little messing around with any editing software, I could probably duplicate the look she achieved in the picture. I can't knock her for it though--every single jewelry vendor with few exceptions use professional equipment, lighting, photoboxes and photoshop software (I shouldn't limit this to jewelry---but I should include the entire fashion, accessory and jewelry industries). I have never opened a box and saw a product that looked exactly like the one i saw in a magazine ad. Some stuff is more doctored than others--I actually don't think PO did a whole lot to this picture, just favorable lighting, and a little tweaking to the exposure and contrast.

As for the cufflinks, PP absolutely exceeded my expectations on them. IMO, the cufflinks I received exceed the ones pictures on PP's site. I have a cufflink collection and these went straight to the top---beating out my lucky 1960's vintage mikimoto pair. If your son wears french cuffs and would appreciate nice quality pearls (a lot of men won't unfortunately), I would definitely get them for him. If you're going to buy a man pearls, tahitians are the way to go!

Funny story, about my lucky Mikimotos cufflinks (which are 7.5mm akoyas btw). My wife sent me down to make a clothing donation at a local thrift shop after she made me clean out my closet. While I was waiting for a receipt, I started going through a pile of cufflinks that were on the side of the counter--mostly cheap old brass and steal stuff. I found the mikis in the pile. They were asking $25 for them because they were made out of silver (obviously the store had no idea what they were actually selling). Because they were badly tarnished, I got them to knock the price down to $15. I brought them to Mikimoto in NYC, who confirmed they were real and cleaned them up for free. I have seen similar ones sold on ebay for around $200-300, so good deal!! The style is a little dated, but I wear them whenever I need a little luck on my side. They haven't failed me yet. :)

Last edited:
I think they are very pretty and your mom will love them. It's a lovely gift and changing the clasp is great idea..I hate those fishhook clasps..far too fiddly. What size are the pearls?

I don't mind fishhooks in general, but I don't like those small filigree ones that are often included with the strand (like the one that came with this strand). I haven't measured the pearls to confirm size, but here's the description that was provided by the vendor:

This item features genuine Tahitian cultured pearls. Pictures and description are of the actual item. What you see is what you will receive. We can alter the length per your request (price will vary). Please contact us before placing your order. Pearl Information: Pearl Type: Tahitian cultured pearls. Size: 9MM - 11.2X13MM. Shape: Baroque. to oval. Body Color: Dark Gray. Overtone: light green/red I am not seeing any green or red . Natural color. Luster: High. AA+ grade. (AAA is the highest grade for luster). Surface: Slight blemishes and light circle. A- to B+ grade. (A is the highest grade for surface quality). Nacre Thickness: Thick. Matching: Very Good Match. Origin: Tahiti. Length: Pearl strand is 16.2 inches long. We will hand knotted between each pearl and attach the clasp. The finished necklace will be about 18 inches long. Setting: 14K Gold designer's fish hook clasp.

Thanks Est, for sharing all the back info, agree with Katbran, your Mom will love them!

I guess I'll find out on March 11. My mom is the greatest mom in the world, but she isn't perfect. One of her flaws is that if she doesn't love a gift, it's easy to tell. She just isn't one of those people that loves everything we buy her--and insists we buy from a place that takes returns. :)

OMG! I'm the same way and I WISH I were different. I've read that this goes along with a perfectionist striving/character, and a deep sense of unworthiness. I believe it. I also feel that if someone is spending money on me, they aren't getting good value for their money if I don't like it; and if they're spending big bucks, as you are, that feeling gets even stronger. Oh dear.

If she's anything like me she also says "Oh, honey, you shouldn't spend money like that on me".

Sigh. We don't mean to be a pain in the butt.

Last edited:
OMG! I'm the same way and I WISH I were different. I try, but I can't control my face. I've read that this trait goes along with a perfectionist striving/character, and a deep sense of unworthiness. I believe it. I suppose I also feel that if someone is spending money on me, they aren't getting good value for their money if I don't like it; and if they're spending big bucks, as you are, that feeling gets even stronger. Oh dear.

If she's anything like me she also says "Oh, honey, you shouldn't spend money like that on me".

Sigh. We don't mean to be a pain in the butt.

I actually inherited this unfortunate trait and my wife can't stand it She stopped buying me presents--I buy them for myself since it saves waiting on a line for a return. It's sad though. :-( I am an overachiever/perfectionist, but I don't suffer from the unworthiness thing and I will feel quite worthy when I buy the new iPad 3 in a couple of weeks. Hehe.

I think that's a pretty nice strand for the price. I've seen a lot worse for a lot more.

Thanks!! I bought a wood presentation box (the one it came with was really chintzy) and it's amazing what nice presentation can do for jewelry. It actually looks better in the new box--and much more expensive.

I guess I'll find out on March 11. My mom is the greatest mom in the world, but she isn't perfect. One of her flaws is that if she doesn't love a gift, it's easy to tell. She just isn't one of those people that loves everything we buy her--and insists we buy from a place that takes returns. :)

That's not a flaw, that's a good thing.

My mother's the opposite. You could give her a moth-eaten scrap of bad knitting and she's be genuinely pleased. That makes it hard choosing a present!

With my Dad, you never worry you are boring him. Because you'd know if you were.

That's not a flaw, that's a good thing.

My mother's the opposite. You could give her a moth-eaten scrap of bad knitting and she's be genuinely pleased. That makes it hard choosing a present!

With my Dad, you never worry you are boring him. Because you'd know if you were.

That's great--split the difference between our moms and life would be grand. :) My mom is the type that will also get upset if she thinks I spent too much money on a gift and then will try to give me money towards it. There have been times she has actually gotten angry--not mock anger either! I bought her a TV last year and she flipped--I tried to explain that they aren't a fortune anymore and I am not going to the poor housed---no avail.

You're still her baby, so of course she's worried about you. My Granny was talking about "the girl being at a difficult age" when she was 85, and my darling Mama (the girl in question) was 50-odd.

Back