Should I have these appraised?

Hooray

I found these in an antique shop and thought they were beautiful. I like to know if they are fresh water or salt? Cultured or natural. What are they worth? Is it worth the cost of the appraisal?
I took them to a jeweler and he told me they are 40-50 years old at min. They are fresh water none cultured ... "A dime a dozen" and the market is flooded with them "not worth the appraisal".
From what I have read I understand that natural pearl are rear and can be very valuable. Would like a second opinion.

They are about 6.5mm per peal...largest is 11mm
The clasp is stapler "silver"
17"double stand
125 pearls total
Ivory in color
Each pearl is knotted

Is the jeweler correct?

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 29
Good thinking on the second opinion. The jeweler is very wrong.

You've got a double strand of cultured, baroque akoya pearls. They aren't worth a fortune, but definitely more valuable than baroque freshwater.

Hooray, welcome,

You've got some lovely pearls there! Older akoyas like these have thick nacre which means you can wear and enjoy them without worrying they will wear through to a bead! Akoya pearls are saltwater pearls. A rough estimate of value should you want to sell them would be in the hundreds. An appraisal for insurance purposes would be an estimated replacement value, which would be higher.

The leaf design on the clasp is a theme I especially like.

Last edited:
Thank you!
I thought he was a little fishy when he told me all fresh water pearl are natural , not cultured.
I paid $65 for them so i'm guessing I got a great deal. We had been to the shop over a year ago and I loved them but left without them. I regretted it for the past yr.
We were in the area again 2 weeks ago and I ask my husband to please stop just to see. To my surprise they still had them. I wear them everyday so I very happy to hear that it ok to do so.
My thanks to everyone! I will cherish my little treasure.

Thank you!
I thought he was a little fishy when he told me all fresh water pearl are natural , not cultured.

Lol, if they were natural freshwater pearls, they would be worth a fortune. I am going to go out on a limb and suggest that jeweler doesn't deal in pearls. It seems you knew more about pearls than the jeweler.

Maybe the jeweler had heard that freshwater pearls were solid nacre and got confused, but he obviously does not know pearls. The beads are readily evident. That is a heck of a deal on a gorgeous necklace. Enjoy it in great health. :)

Back