??Sea of Cortez Pearls??

nm_malesic

Hello all!

I am a new pearl enthusiast!
I was wondering what your thoughts were on Sea of Cortez Pearls...
Are they really as amazing as they say they are?

Thanks for you input! :)

IMG_7359.jpgWelcome to the forum! Sea of Cortez pearls are indeed amazing, not for their size, which tends to be diminutive compared to the larger Tahitians, South Seas, and freshwater baroques and Edisons, but for their dreamy, rare coloration. The Cortez pearl farm (Perlas del Mar de Cortez), located in Guaymas, is the only farm raising these beauties, which come from a different breed of oysters, Pteria Sterna, commonly known as the rainbow-lipped oyster and found in a limited area including the Sea of Cortez. Because of the oysters' relatively small size, the oysters are only cultured once, meaning they are not re-nucleated for a second graft. This could contribute to the luster and vibrancy of the nacre. The farm uses fair trade practices and has very strict quality controls, where any sub-standard pearls never leave the farm and are tossed back into the ocean. The nuclei remain in the oysters a minimum of 18 months to 2 years (I hope others will correct if I am wrong), resulting in a thick deposit of nacre. This ring, featuring a SOC mabe, shows an example of the amazing natural colors one can find in the best quality Sea of Cortez pearls.

Ooh, it's Sea of Cortez night??? How fun! Here's my own favorite piece: Sea of Cortez, one single pearl, surrounded by Sea of Cortez keshi and diamond beads. Pearls, adopted from Papa Douglas; design and execution by our own brilliant Sarah of Kojima Pearls. I hold this piece dear to my heart for so many reasons :) Note: The bottom pearl is about 8.5mm; the keshi are much smaller. This is a delicate necklace.

CATHY DASSLER - 2 890.jpgIMG_4041.jpg

Last edited:
My Sea of Cortez pearl

20140726_091736_20.jpg

Finished on it's necklace

blueAkoyanecklacea.jpg

Before

1037 (2).jpg

After with a Kamoka keshi

berry1.jpg

So are Sea of Cortez pearls special? Absolutely

Ladies, what absolutely gorgeous eye candy. Thank you for sharing.

Oh my! Those pieces are stunning ladies! Cathy, I am intrigued by those tiny diamonds and how they attach to the chain...I cannot imagine the amount of work that went into creating that necklace...it is stunning! STUNNING!!

And newberry, your peanut with the blue akoya...I never realized that was SoC...I had assumed it was a South Sea baroque. It is one of my many favorites in your collection.

Thanks for sharing your pretty SoC pearls, la_corsettiere, lillifefuzzysocks, newberry and Cathy. Those are real eye candies.

Oh wow. I'm never fast enough to get to Douglas at Ruckus.

Back