Sculpted Pearls

Oh Pattye - sorry, I didn't think you did...

The GSS that I see are faceted just like your CFWP, but I agree that faceting probably improves some of the pearls - just like poorer lustre pearls are often the ones chosen for dyeing.

I did see a LOT of faceted pearls at the HK show last March..

Absolutely, Pattye - and more of them than I have seen before. From memory, lots of cranberries and bronze and green ones.
The GSS that I see often are with one of the trading houses in TST - don't think they have a booth at the fair.

I have never been a fan of faceted pearls.. I do have one, which hangs from a beautiful pendant a friend of mine made for me... but Pattye your photos are a much better example. Thanks for showing them.
Faceting is only done when the pearl (as a whole) is of poor outer quality. The pearls used for carving are obviously chosen because they are beautiful, but have small dips or flaws that would make an other wise perfect pearl worth much much less. I am especially happy with this last lot because the places on the pearls where the full nacre levels were left intact are quite lusterous, which proves that the carver was very skilled with placement of design. (kind of like covering up a terrible regrettable tattoo with something amazing).
Another example of this sort of beautifying a "perfectly flawed" pearl is when people set little gem stones into the flaw.
Judi McCormick breathed new life into these Japan Kasumi pearls this year, by setting little sapphires into the holes. Sorry...it is not the best photo of her work.
I love the concept though, it's unique, interesting, and it is refreshing to feel like a pearl has been saved!:D

Attachments

• -1.jpg
    -1.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 50
I'm happy that I waited with my posting for Sarah's explanation about the reason for carving and faceting pearls.

The same happens with diamonds, those with the dull colors or clouds undergo special color treatment and become yellow, pink or blue. Those that have big dark inclusions (Piqu?), are cut into different shapes like heart, marquise, pear, princess and the like. (As you may know,round brilliant cut is the best for maximum light and reflection effects).

I agree with Sarah, in those cases where the pearl has to be saved, like diamond. I'm not a fan of any of theses, no matter how much creativity or work was involved. All the worked-over pearls look kitschy to me.

Thank you all for the photos and the info :)

the examples of faceted pearls Pattye put up are like the lowest grade commercial pearls. they are available from Roy Chen of Evergreen, for instance, at a starting price of $1 per strand and that goes down if you buy more. IMO, they are in the same category as chartreuse stars and bars.

BTW I Have a faceted necklace from the Rana. The centerpiece is one of the infamous Siberian transgrafts. She called the faceted freshwaters " anodonta woodianas"

Here is a thread from yore. I used to like these little buggers. LINK
It contains some classic Rana disgorgements.

Attachments

• B&B cropped zeide's B&B pearls 003.jpg
    B&B cropped zeide's B&B pearls 003.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 40
Gorgeous Pearls Sarah! The carving is so mesmerizing.
Are they drilled at all? I don't know if I would be able to pick a spot to drill through.

THANK YOU Pearly Shell,
No as a lot..they were not drilled.. but I made this piece on Friday. It was actually pretty easy to figure out where to drill them... as they are pretty symmetrical in design. (although because they are hand done.. it was a little tricky to get the drill holes in just the right position on both side.. but way easier than say drilling odd shape keshi pearls.. as the target place is clearly outlined by the design).
This necklace has 31 pearls (all 12+mm). I graduated the colors, so the lighter ones are in the front, and the darkest in the back. That can of course be all switched around.
I hemmed and hawed over making up a strand, but I figured that if I had never seen one, then I should make it on principle!
I know it is not for everyone, but I think it is spectacular!
I think the colors are better in real life than in the photos here, seems that most things I upload on PG end up looking a bit washed out.
I still have plenty of loose pearls to play with and I half drilled a couple to make into pendants.
It felt good... to kind of push the envelope with this one.
Cheers, Sarah

Attachments

• are they drilled1.jpg
    are they drilled1.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 42
  • are they drilled2.jpg
    are they drilled2.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 45
That is gorgeous! Glad you pushed the envelope, indeed! :)

Talk about trendy! I have a feeling we will see more of these- along with earrings, bracelets, pendants. These pearls are a must-have item!

Interesting looking indeed. Thank you Sarah!

Hi Sarah, those carved pearls look amazing - but that is close up. how do they look from normal distance (ie not so close that you would have to marry me!)
I have lots of those faceted freshwaters in black, white and cranberry red. As far as I can make out from breaking up a couple they are potato pearls with a coating which is put on in two halves (you can see the join, a bit like Easter eggs) The pearl itself isn't carved at all

The Necklace turned out very pretty indeed.

Hi Sarah,
I think the necklace is gorgeous... I would also love to see these pearls in some sort of Sarah-ish edgy and elegant station necklace (won't call it a tin cup, I just don't relate to that term at all!!) or interspersed with some other type of bead??
Just a thought..

Nerida.

i've been reading p-g for a couple of months, before mustering the courage to write. my visit to sarah's studio last week was my incentive. i saw the loose sculpted pearls in person, and they are gorgeous. when viewing the pix, i thought they were pretty, but cringed at the thought of too much carving in pearls. assumed they were carved due to lower quality.

the pearls are stunning in person. what the camera can't capture is the lovely luster on the pearls, and how the matte carving contrasts with the sheen. they would look fantastic in the center of an uncarved strand or a Clic'Clasp ? necklace.

I have lots of those faceted freshwaters in black, white and cranberry red. As far as I can make out from breaking up a couple they are potato pearls with a coating which is put on in two halves (you can see the join, a bit like Easter eggs) The pearl itself isn't carved at all

Would you put up a picture of the phenomenon you describe? The picture of faceted beads that I put up are definitely not coated. The faceting does jack up the sparkle on what are otherwise the lowest of the lowly beader beads.

Back