RIP Mike Rivers

jshepherd

Yesterday the pearl world lost one of the greatest. Mike Rivers passed away.

Mike was a long-time member of this forum. He knew more about pearls and the pearl industry than just about anyone I've had the pleasure to know. He spent much of his life in the freshwater mussel nuclei industry, and the nuclei he created live on in millions of pearls farmed in the Philippines, Australia, Japan and Tahiti.

Mike was one of my best friends. We had planned to take a trip to Baja California this month ... but had to postpone while he dealt with this beast that ultimately took his life.

I am so grateful to have known Mike. I am so grateful he chose to be a presence in our lives on his life journey. I love you brother.

Mike Rivers.JPG

I am so saddened by the news...we were supposed to meet this month in Baja.
He was wonderful friend.
He is missed greatly.

Pearl Ruckus 2015 (102).jpg

Mikkey (Michael Rivers), myself, Mounir and Josh Humbert back in 2015 at the Pearl Ruckus. Mike played a some mean guitar that evening. He was such a wonderful person, great friend and true Mensch.
I'm sorry for Ira too.
May you rest in Peace dear friend, and will meet you again at the "Pearly Gates".

I'm sorry to read this news.
I've never been to the Ruckus so never met Mike, but I want to offer my condolences to everyone who knew him and valued his friendship.

Mikey was the best. A scholar and a gentleman. A pearl aficionado, musician and damn good scotch drinker. Best of all, he was a good friend and a good man. Tom and I are crushed.

16904857_10212292197798904_6282317496357443223_o.jpg

Walter and I are incredibly saddened to hear of Mikeyy passing. So many treasures in vaults and treasure chests, Mikeyy's friendship, gentle humor and kindness is the real treasure we'll hold in our hearts. That starrynight, those guitars on that porch in the hills ... Our condolences and love to Ira, and those here and far who were lucky to know Mikeyy far longer than we.

Such sad sad news. What a good man and friend to many of us here. I am glad I have many great memories of him at the RUCKUS. It was fun interviewing him. He was nervous at Jeremy and Hisano's wedding to perform the service and so very relieved to know he did it well and that they are still married. His contribution each year to the RUCKUS of caviar was enjoyed by all. And last but not least this magic pearl chest many of us have very special pearls he had in there for us to choose from. Ira you have my deepest sympathy and sending many many hugs to you. Mike till we meet again at the pearly gates rest in peace.

This one really really hurts. A real pearl pirate that guy.... beautiful heart!
If anyone has photos of Mikey they love.. please send them to me! I want to make an altar for him at PBTB this year. Thanks, Sarah
Will share some!

Dear Ira (Irina) and I spoke this morning; she will share details of Mikeyy's Memorial Service with us at a later time. Our stories, comments and photos posted here and on Facebook have made her smile.

We thought it would be great to have a Memorial Page for photos and memories all in one place. I personally always need a bit more time to gather my thoughts and find photos. Has anyone used or had a preference for either of these websites ~ "Never Gone" and "We Remember?" Please let me know!

I wouldn't swear, but seem to recall Mikeyy was the one who dubbed our little yearly international pearl meetings, the "Ruckus."

Sarah, what a super way to honor Mikeyy at PBTB and I have a cute photo to contribute, too.

It does hurt.
I have a couple of photos I will share, including the last time we saw him. Tom and I would like to be kept posted about any memorial service. Mikey was an authentic soul. There aren't a lot of them around.

Love to you all.

Dear Ira (Irina) and I spoke this morning; she will share details of Mikeyy's Memorial Service with us at a later time. Our stories, comments and photos posted here and on Facebook have made her smile.

We thought it would be great to have a Memorial Page for photos and memories all in one place. I personally always need a bit more time to gather my thoughts and find photos. Has anyone used or had a preference for either of these websites ~ "Never Gone" and "We Remember?" Please let me know!

I wouldn't swear, but seem to recall Mikeyy was the one who dubbed our little yearly international pearl meetings, the "Ruckus."

Sarah, what a super way to honor Mikeyy at PBTB and I have a cute photo to contribute, too.
Mikeyy, Blaire and Steve M.

Broken-hearted over this one. Mikeyy was a great guy, and a close friend. So sorry not to have been able to spend more time with him, but grateful to have met him, thanks to this forum! You will always be in my heart, dear Mikeyy. 💔💔💔

Back