Report from Hong Kong

Don't encourage her...

You know it wouldn't take a lot of encouragement..

Seriously, I will post some pearl pics, including the amazing nuke strand when I get home tomorrow.

Thanks again to p-g, I had a fabulous time in Hong Kong - wouldn't have even thought to go without this forum! Definitely much more fun than my usual pearl buying trips... it was great to meet a few fellow pg ers! And definitely a same time next year thing for me.

Thank you all PGers for the interesting reports. Hopefully some pics are coming as well.

I am a bit surprised to hear that high quality FW pearls in sizes over 12 mm are scarse - because we on the other hand get to hear that the Chinese have become even more clever with the culturing of FW pearls...

There were tons of FW pearls, with sizes up to aroud 15mm. Even after searching for 4 days, I did not find a single strand of FW pearls over 12mm that were gem quality, and almost nothing even that one could consider AA quality above 13mm.

Interesting. Thanks for the reports. Waiting to see the photos.

I'm back and reinspired. I wrote a long post and actually deleted accidentally. I maybe should sleep and try again tomorrow. But those of you considering next year. Nothing to consider. Just book. I promise you'll have fun. I'll see to it.
There's always March in HK.

Are the dates for March out yet? I'm travelling from March-May next year, so might be able to fit that in if it doesn't clash with sakura season in Japan. Shanghai/Suzhou will have to wait til April. Pearls take priority.

It's the Hong Kong International Jewellery Show 2009 Mar 4-8 isn't it?

Last edited:
Yes, that's the one, Raisondetre. Now I am home and reinspired too, but really need some sleep.. Most of my purchases are being shipped to me, so I will add some photos etc when they arrive.

I bought several GSS strands, some blacks, lots of loose pearls, lots and lots of white freshies, findings, etc etc. Didn't even get to look at drills (on the "to do" list), buy gifts for family and friends (sorry everyone) or any other personal jewellery shopping (yes, I had planned to have some $$ left over to buy something for myself, but sadly, no).

I may go again in March - depends on sales volume between now and then! Wish me well!

Yes, that's the one, Raisondetre. Now I am home and reinspired too, but really need some sleep.. Most of my purchases are being shipped to me, so I will add some photos etc when they arrive.

I bought several GSS strands, some blacks, lots of loose pearls, lots and lots of white freshies, findings, etc etc. Didn't even get to look at drills (on the "to do" list), buy gifts for family and friends (sorry everyone) or any other personal jewellery shopping (yes, I had planned to have some $$ left over to buy something for myself, but sadly, no).

I may go again in March - depends on sales volume between now and then! Wish me well!
That shouldn't take you long. Nerida walks in to the show, buys a strand. Then walks outside and sells it to a guy from Sweden. Good thing for the people on the plane that she didn't have her pearls with her. ka ching.:D

One problem is I'm not in the industry. How do I actually get in? I'm there for fun more than anything.

Sorry Mikeyy - I did sell something to a flight attendant. And maybe the guy in the bar was Swiss?? Made for a good story (and some extra cash) anyway..

Last edited:
Raisondetre - at industry fairs here, you are permitted to bring a "buyer's assistant" - maybe the same thing applies here? I will find out!!!

Sorry Mikeyy - I did sell something to a flight attendant. And she was much nicer than the Swedish (wasn't he Swiss/) gentleman in the bar..
Sweds are different from Swiss? Huh!. How can you tell?

I just told my husband I'm going to Hong Kong in March. Now I just have to figure out how to tell the school, since my break doesn't start until the middle of the month. :( I'm seriously going to try. If I have a tax license, am I in the industry? Otherwise I can just be an assistant and carry aspirin around for someone. :rolleyes:

Too funny, Sheryl! Check the requirements on the registration page. From memory it was not as rigorous to register as it was for the Australian fairs, where you had to show several recent invoices of working within the jewellery trade in Australia.

See you there!

Sorry Mikeyy, but the Swiss are very easy to differentiate from the Swedes. And he was definitely Swiss!

Back