Really shiny gold beads

Oh goodness sorry Katbran! I didn't pay attention to the links. My bad...

I went to Bella Findings - Gempacked today and here are a few pictures that I took. These are the closest I could find. The sales woman said that she did not think that they have carried anything like mine before.

IMG_1027.jpg

IMG_1028.jpg

IMG_1029.jpg

IMG_1031.jpg

IMG_1030.jpg

IMG_1032.jpg

IMG_1033.jpg

Newberry, your beads are diamond cut to look like mock pave' with diamonds. I still remember how excited I was when I first saw them because they were so reflective and sparkly. I haven't seen them for sale for a very long time. It was very nice of you to look for them while you were in LA.

I can't wait for Ruckus time! :)

Pasternak is a traditional trade supplier with a good reputation.

Funny I've never seen them before and then we all found the same beads at their site lol They look like the same ones that Newberry has posted don't you think?

Newberry - well done, I think those would do quite well..they look pretty sparkly!

I can't find the exact same ones online as those available from Tahitianpearls.biz, closest were the star dust and diamond cut 14k from Bellafindings and Pasternak. I suppose since they are 14k it'll take a very long time before they oxidise?

very pretty necklace, newberry. And thanks LD, I had no idea the foil technique also worked with pearls.

Wow, thank you all! I'll have to look at those choices carefully later (mom had knee replacement Monday so I've been taking care of her). I love the stardust beads. I was not sure how reflective they look in real life but next to Newberry's diamond cut beads, they have their own beauty, even though not as shiny. I'm thinking of putting them between coral beads and not sure if that type of surface would scratch the coral. I have seen the vermeil beads in my search and thought they were very pretty and look quite reflective. My concern is that they may wear out on the ends becauseI can't seem to get my knots large enough to keep gold beads in place since their holes tend to be larger than my pearl drill holes- the beads just jump right over my knots and move around making them look off centered. I made this necklace last year. It's hard to see in this picture since the pearls aren't hanging, but when it is worn, the beads move around. I have tried double knotting but that makes my knots huge (it may just be my technique since the knots tend to sit next to each other and not on top of each other). I love the look of pearls with gold beads but hate the way the knotting looks so I have been meaning to restring when I find a method that looks better. I'm pretty confident I"ll run across the same problem with the coral but want to get my necklace started. :)

Thanks again!!!

DSC06721.jpg

For beads like that, amti, I just have them sit over the knot. Even in really small metal bead sizes, the holes are pretty big and it would be hard to make knot big enough to stay outside the whole (and it would look odd). That necklace is really pretty!

For beads like that, amti, I just have them sit over the knot. Even in really small metal bead sizes, the holes are pretty big and it would be hard to make knot big enough to stay outside the whole (and it would look odd). That necklace is really pretty!

Same here ..the gold bead sits over the knot . And , Amti, I take your point about the stardust and scratching ..I can see where that could be a possibility.

i had the same problem when i was making 2 consecutive knots -- they just sat next to each other and didn't help make the knot bigger. a surgeon's knot, where you flip the strand thru twice in the same knot, worked better to create larger knots if needed for pearls with larger holes (though they don't tighten up as effortlessly as single knots do with beader's secret and are next to impossible to undo!). for tiny beads with bigger holes, though, having the bead sit over the knot seems like the best solution.

Thank you all for the great advice. I guess I'll restring and let it be. At least the smooth beads won't scratch the surface of the pearls. Katbran, I guess I'm back to the shiny bead search again. It's nice to have pros weigh in on my thoughts. I appreciate it. :)

And thank you Battah. I love longer necklaces because I can see the beauty of the pearls. These pastel Tahitians were purchased from Jac. They were so pretty, I ended up ordering a few more. I can't get enough of them! ;)

a surgeon's knot, where you flip the strand thru twice in the same knot, worked better to create larger knots if needed for pearls with larger holes (though they don't tighten up as effortlessly as single knots do with beader's secret and are next to impossible to undo!). for tiny beads with bigger holes, though, having the bead sit over the knot seems like the best solution.

I've seen a few smaller beads for sale with .9mm holes. I usually get my pearls drilled at .8, so the surgeon knot may work with that size bead, if I can find them. The gold beads in the photo were recycled from an older piece of jewelry so I am not sure of the hole size, other than they were big. Thanks for the tip!

Back