Really shiny gold beads

There you go! Haha I defer to the actual scientist :)

Beautiful Newberry!!! Thank you for posting your picture! I'm not having much luck finding the beads. I may have to settle for something different. :(

It is all about electronegativity :D The baking soda ionizes in the water, allowing the exchange between the silver and aluminium. Other salts (even table salt, probably) will work as well.

Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate, while washing soda is sodium carbonate. Sodium carbonate is more alkaline (and can be caustic) but it should work, from a quick look at the formula and some old, old chemistry knowledge.

Amti I have been looking for those beads for years. I did buy a few from Jose years ago when he added to and rearranged this necklace. Jose said that they came from Japan. Mine are in white gold and they look like diamonds between the pearls.

View attachment 43184
Newberry, that necklace is SPECTACULAR! I especially love the play of color against the white gold beads. I want to vacation in your jewelry chest.

Thank you Blaire! It really is after all these years one of my favorite necklaces. I do wear it lots and love it more than I did when I got it from you ;)

Amti yes I can't find the same beads online, maybe try a gem show? Newberry love your necklace!

I am going to Bella on Friday so I will take this necklace and see if they have anything close to these beads.

Good luck Newberry!

Kelluvpearls, I would love to attend a gem show but I haven't seen any gem shows in Austin. I think most of them are in Dallas, which is a good four hours (of traffic) away.

I'll take pictures of anything I can find that's close to these beads. I'm thinking that my bead are 18kt and not 14kt. Maybe they don't come in 14kt and that's why I haven't been able to find them.

I've increased my search to 18k and still nothing. Do you have a closeup of the engraving/texture of the bead? I'm wondering if it is tiny notches all around the bead or more like stardust bits. If I can't find the beads, I'll go with something similar. I just don't know what kind would be the most reflective.

Here is a very quick picture. It was hard getting my phone to focus so close. Hope I can find these or something that is really close at Bella tomorrow.

IMG_0998.jpg

My Penguin pearls from Sarah have similar beads, in white and yellow 18k gold. Only mine are more rondelle shape than round. VERY sparkly, look like diamonds, and I wish I knew where to get more ...

Cathy would you post a picture of the penguins please? Oh and the beads ;)

Here are two possibilities ,

http://www.pasternakfindings.com/?catid={9229A09F-C3C2-42AF-BC5C-A1B22524F93B}&itemid={FFC6313A-5215-475E-AB2C-3A8F87C14276}
http://www.pasternakfindings.com/?catid={9229A09F-C3C2-42AF-BC5C-A1B22524F93B}&itemid={FFC6313A-5215-475E-AB2C-3A8F87C14276}

Not quite it but something to think about...the mesh ones are too big tho

Last edited:
Newberry, we're in the camper, and I can't figure out how to move a photo around on the iPad :( ... but if you search PG for Sarah's post titled Cultured Pteria Penguin Pearls, you'll see her photos of my pearls, and a glimpse of the lovely beads. Sorry I can't do better. Have FUN at PP today! If your horoscope comes true, I'll loan you the pack mule to carry your bags at the ruckus :)

Back