Question for the experts

I would ask for more photos of the stones since apatite can have an almost electric greenish turquoise color to it. Apatite are a 5 on hardness, so they are relatively soft. As long as you aren't banging them around, they are probably fine to use on a necklace. I would not use them for a bracelet. The stones look a lovely shade of green, but that could be my screen! In any regard, what color are you looking to achieve? I would also use the larger stones at 3-3.5, if the pearls you are using are 8-10mm.

Beautiful, Kelluv! I was looking at the same pearls (right photo) from Jacques to make a tin cup myself :) (but with black spinel). I think I am going to have to wait, though, as I have a few things coming to me in the near future already :cool:

In terms of the beads you posted, I like the bottom right and the top right colours the best. I am very excited to see your project coming together!

JP, may I ask why you would pick 3-3.5mm stones instead of 2mm stones?

Beautiful, Kelluv! I was looking at the same pearls (right photo) from Jacques to make a tin cup myself :) (but with black spinel). I think I am going to have to wait, though, as I have a few things coming to me in the near future already :cool:

In terms of the beads you posted, I like the bottom right and the top right colours the best. I am very excited to see your project coming together!

JP, may I ask why you would pick 3-3.5mm stones instead of 2mm stones?

Great question...you want to achieve balance between the stones to the pearls. I think 2mm would work best for 6-8 mm pearls. Also 2mm stones are teeny tiny and can be difficult to deal with (the smallest in mine are about 2.5 mm close to the clasp, and graduate up). But if you are looking for a dramatic variation, then the smaller stone against a larger pearl will accomplish that! Of course you realize that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing...so those with real expertise should chime in!!

Great question...you want to achieve balance between the stones to the pearls. I think 2mm would work best for 6-8 mm pearls. Also 2mm stones are teeny tiny and can be difficult to deal with (the smallest in mine are about 2.5 mm close to the clasp, and graduate up). But if you are looking for a dramatic variation, then the smaller stone against a larger pearl will accomplish that! Of course you realize that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing...so those with real expertise should chime in!!

OK great, thanks JP!

Thank you for sharing the exact measurements and suggestions, Pearl Dreams and Jersey Pearl, It's a great help.

If I may also say, remember you can Rate This Thread in the upper right part of the page. It's a real help in finding the info later.

Thank you for all of your input, it's a mass production seller on Etsy I doubt they'll provide me with more photos, there are several photos within each listing. Tucs remember to share once your projects are finished. Now I am have second thought and maybe I should get the other strands as well and see what they look like in real life...
So Jacques is asking me if I want a more green mix or a blue mix, I was thinking a mixuture, do you think it'll be too much variation? Or should I stick with blues?
Thanks again.

Here's two possible groups of the blue mix from Jacques, unfortunately the light mix sold out (bottom pic), I envy the clever person that bought the whole lot!
What do you think of these?
17.20 x 14.45 x 14.10 mm Tahitian 700x1500773a

Kelluvpearls, they are both beautiful and I think either will go very well with the beads. How exciting!

Thank you Tucs for your input, then I went and found some beautiful blue tourmalines (not sure of treatment).

image.jpg

Those blue toumalines are my favorite so far ... stunning color!

I really like the blue tourmalines!! I think they're a very wearable color, too. And I went with small rondelles as I wanted the "floating" look, I believe they were 2.5mm.

Thanks everyone for your input and thank you JP for sharing your thread.
Umm I will go with the blue tourmaline and blue mix, now I want one for myself too...The blue tourmalines are 2.5mm btw.

I have also been looking at spinels and pearls for another project! But, like you, I have a couple of pearl projects that need to be completed. Too many ideas, not enough time!

Kelluv, I think your necklace is going to be gorgeous! It is hard to pick without seeing the actual pearls in front of you because the colors vary so much. Could you order the pearls first and then decide on gemstones? Pearls have so many colors that all of them are bound to look wonderful with the pearls, so you could always just go with the shade of blue that matches your wardrobe best. But I do like the tourmalines the best. Good luck!

Back